• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Texas Anting Thread

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Spamdy - Posted May 24 2017 - 4:16 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Texas Anting Thread

The purpose of this thread is just to document Nupital flights, findings, weather, etc and inform others nearby you. Feel free to post anything informative about your sightings and we will be glad to hear about it.

-Happy Anting and good luck! ;)

3d-texas-map.jpg

• nurbs, Ants Galore and Guardian like this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#2 Offline Spamdy - Posted May 24 2017 - 5:02 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

http://imgur.com/gal...ment/1040022901 So I'll start off, this is my Pseudomyrmex gracilis on 5/19/17 on a Tennis Court at 6:32 pm. She had a twitch on one of her legs but it's gone now. I stuck a crushed water beetle for her to eat, she has not laid any eggs.

Edited by Spamdy, May 24 2017 - 5:04 PM.

• nurbs and Ants Galore like this

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#3 Offline Ants Galore - Posted May 25 2017 - 3:03 PM

Ants Galore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Wow! Nice! I have caught a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

• Spamdy likes this

#4 Offline UberDuber - Posted May 29 2017 - 12:43 PM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Hey are there any DFW-based ant keepers that would want to keep in touch to share nuptial flight sightings? I was thinking of starting a GroupMe chat if there's any interest.

I'm new to ant keeping and I've started keeping an eye on mounds nearby my house but I'm worried on my own I may miss the flights. I'm specifically going for Red Harvester Ants, but we'll see how the summer goes.

Keeping P. Barbatus, C. Penn., C. Discolor, and Atta Texana.

#5 Offline Spamdy - Posted June 22 2017 - 7:09 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

I don't know or see any DFW based members in Formiculture, I'm allin on making/ a dixcord chat or Group me chat, but i find no point if we can do it here, red harvester ants are having their nupital flights now.

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#6 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 22 2017 - 7:12 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Hey are there any DFW-based ant keepers that would want to keep in touch to share nuptial flight sightings? I was thinking of starting a GroupMe chat if there's any interest.

I'm new to ant keeping and I've started keeping an eye on mounds nearby my house but I'm worried on my own I may miss the flights. I'm specifically going for Red Harvester Ants, but we'll see how the summer goes.

You won't miss out on invicta flights! I've seen them flying year round, even in winter.

• nurbs and Spamdy like this

#7 Offline cpman - Posted June 22 2017 - 8:45 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

I haven't been on this forum at all recently because I stopped keeping ants when I went to college in another state...

Anyway, I've been back for break, and I've seen an unknown Tetramorium (my guess is T. bicarinatum -- it's introduced. I think it came in with some mulch that got put in at my house.), Crematogaster laeviuscula, Pseudomyrmex gracilis, Solenopsis invicta, and S. geminata flying recently (in the past couple weeks). I also found a Camponotus male in my house tonight -- I have no idea as to the species.

Lots of the Pheidole around here have alates in their nests.

Thought you guys might want to know.

Edited by cpman, June 22 2017 - 9:26 PM.

#8 Offline Spamdy - Posted June 22 2017 - 9:00 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
Welcome back! Austin is much better for ant than in Houston, I rarely even see Tetramorium, we are fire ant infested. Do you have any pictures?
  • nurbs likes this

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#9 Offline cpman - Posted June 22 2017 - 9:22 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

I do have some pictures over on bugguide. This is actually the first time I've seen Tetramorium at my house -- it seems like they've completely taken over a good part of my front yard. My guess is that they came in some mulch. They're unfortunately not one of our natives -- their antennae have 12 segments. They aren't T. caespitum -- they have the wrong coloration and sculpturing on the head.

I usually see a lot of fire ants too -- I'm just lucky that my neighborhood hasn't suffered too badly from them, so there are still a lot of non fire ants. It depends a lot on how disturbed your area has been. Some areas under a mile from me have been overrun by fire ants, others not so much. I've found that even in super-heavy fire ant areas, there are still usually patches of natives. Mostly in less disturbed areas. A few ants also persist even in areas with lots of fire ants -- I've seen both Crematogaster laeviuscula and Pseudomyrmex gracilis in such places.

One thing I've noticed is that I've seen a lot less Leptogenys elongata this year. Maybe its because I wasn't here for spring, when they seem to be most active, but even in the summer I usually find a colony or two.

Edited by cpman, June 22 2017 - 9:25 PM.

#10 Offline Spamdy - Posted June 22 2017 - 10:13 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
Yeah,I also seen to see Pseudomyrmex gracilis and Crematogaster near Solenopisis Invicta, thought this year Crematogaster has dwindled down a bit. The neighborhood I live in for 10 miles around has almost none of any other species except S.Invicta due to my neighborhood being new.

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#11 Offline cpman - Posted June 23 2017 - 10:47 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
That would explain it. My neighborhood is older (I think early-mid 90's), but we are getting a new wave of development. With it, I've seen a lot more RIFA than before.

Ironically, I've noticed that the areas that apply a ton of ant poison to kill fire ants have pretty much only have fire ants. My guess is that it's because fire ants produce so many alates that make colonies so fast.

#12 Offline Superant33 - Posted June 23 2017 - 11:36 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Spamdy, thanks for the info on the Pogonomyrmex! A good heads up. They will probably fly in San Antonio following the next rain.

#13 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 23 2017 - 2:14 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

That would explain it. My neighborhood is older (I think early-mid 90's), but we are getting a new wave of development. With it, I've seen a lot more RIFA than before.

Ironically, I've noticed that the areas that apply a ton of ant poison to kill fire ants have pretty much only have fire ants. My guess is that it's because fire ants produce so many alates that make colonies so fast.

My house was finished being built in 1996, 8 years before I was born. The area was a plain with no houses (I live in Katy). Even when I was small, I remember swimming in the pool and only seeing RIFA alates. I've had some luck recently, and found some Pheidole. 

#14 Offline cpman - Posted June 27 2017 - 2:14 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
Just a heads up -- lots of stuff had been flying in Austin these past few days (since it started raining at night). Just at my house, I've found queens of 3 different Pheidole, S. invicta (obviously), Crematogaster laeviuscula, and a little ponerine (looks like Hypoponera opacior) in the past two days.

I'm not keeping any because I don't go to school in TX, but that's beside the point.

Edited by cpman, June 27 2017 - 2:37 PM.

#15 Offline Spamdy - Posted June 27 2017 - 3:17 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
Lucky! Honestly I would have kept them, not to raise them but to sell them. Sometimes for me, it seems like I queens of a species before a much more common worker. Is there any reason why? Btw I am cluless about the situation since I am on vacation. I do know that some Lasius is flying.

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#16 Offline Ants Galore - Posted June 28 2017 - 6:13 AM

Ants Galore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
Hey guys!!!! I'm also located in Texas! I just caught a Harvester Queen on the Cinco Ranch Golf Course. I wouldn't recommend going there if you are looking for any species besides Solenopsis Invicta. Bear Creek is one of the best places to look though! Just remember to get as far away from George Bush Park as possible. George Bush Park is flooded with Solenopsis.

#17 Offline Spamdy - Posted June 28 2017 - 6:25 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
-_- Really. Golf courses have mowed grass, George Bush park is many times better than golf courses.

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#18 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 28 2017 - 11:19 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

-_- Really. Golf courses have mowed grass, George Bush park is many times better than golf courses.

Queens have logic beyond humans, Spamdy.

• Spamdy likes this

#19 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 28 2017 - 11:23 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

I caught five strange queens with translucent yellow gasters, and their thorax/head is a dark red that almost looks like the color of Pogonomyrmex barbatus. I also caught 13 Pheidole sp., and about 10 unidentified harvester ant queens. Ants Galore, it's the species you have. No sightings of Crematogaster in Katy so far. 

Edited by Ants_Texas, June 29 2017 - 11:28 AM.

• Zotthefirst likes this

#20 Offline cpman - Posted June 28 2017 - 12:09 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

I caught five strange queens with translucent yellow gasters, and their thorax/head is a dark red that almost looks like the color of Pogonomyrmex barbatus. I also caught 13 Pheidole sp., and about 10 unidentified harvester ant queens. Ants Galore, it's the species you have. No sightings of Crematogaster in Katy so far. If anybody wants a free Pheidole queen, I'd be willing to give out alot. My pool light usually attracts about 40 a night.

You should post some photos in an ID bread of your strange queens. Do you have anything to go on other than coloration? How big are they? Do they have a postpetiole?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users