• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aloha from South Carolina!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Hivetyrant25 - Posted May 23 2017 - 7:06 AM

Hivetyrant25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone. I joined the forums a few months back and have loved ants since I was a kid, but didn't have the means to start a proper ant farm in Hawaii, my home state. With my venture into adulthood, I ended up moving to South Carolina and now that I'm settled I am ready to get started in the hobby!

If there are any South Carolina residents here that could give me tips on good spots/times to catch queens I would greatly appreciate the help! I think by far the toughest challenge I need to face at this early stage is getting used to seasonal nuptial flights instead of year-round ones like we have in the tropics.

#2 Offline Loops117 - Posted May 23 2017 - 8:59 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Welcome to the forums, and we're happy to have you here.

I'm from michigan, so i can't give too many tips. Just be adamant at searching for queens. Whether it's under loose bark and rocks, or waiting for flights. Never give up, and you'll be sure to find a queen. Many flights happen throughout the anting season, so you're bound to find one if you're eyes are always peeled. I normally carry a container with me in my car or bag, so i'm always prepared for the queen(s) i may come across.

Loops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users