• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Hikari's ant journal

camponotus formica lasius tetramorium camponotus pennsylvanicus

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#101 Offline Hikari - Posted September 15 2017 - 6:21 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

Today I witnessed a Lasius claviger nuptial flight while looking for Crematogaster queens. I ended up with 8 dealates and two dozen or so workers I'll split between a few of the queens. I'm going to attempt a few different founding methods. The others may have to wait til after hibernation. This species is fun in that they smell like citronella! Seriously, my index card (that I used to herd workers and queens into snap caps) reeked of it when I got home. Not a bad thing though, I actually find the smell rather pleasant. I just hope my L.neoniger end up founding okay, cause I'll need a few of them for my parasitic species if I'm going to pull any of this off.

Oh, and here's the video from the nuptial flight. It was so cool.

#102 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted September 16 2017 - 5:49 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Junior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Nice! I would recommend putting all of the queens in a jar. Then, pick out the healthiest individual (the one that runs the fastest). Release the rest and give all of the workers to the healthy queen.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#103 Offline Hikari - Posted September 18 2017 - 9:49 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

Nice! I would recommend putting all of the queens in a jar. Then, pick out the healthiest individual (the one that runs the fastest). Release the rest and give all of the workers to the healthy queen.

I've learned never to count on just one queen. I split the workers between four of them, and the rest will just have to wait til the other Lasius get their colonies going. They're probably going to all end up overwintering before laying regardless.

-----
9-19-17 - Two days of work, and my ants now have some upgraded set-ups! The test tubes now have new mini-outworlds to allow access to honey tubes for sugar on demand, the Formica have a newly refurbished outworld, and the C.pennsylvanicus have a new natural set-up! Everyone will get protein later, but for now I'm letting everyone settle in and find their sugars first.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, formica, lasius, tetramorium, camponotus pennsylvanicus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users