• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hikari's ant journal

camponotus formica lasius tetramorium camponotus pennsylvanicus

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Hikari - Posted July 29 2017 - 9:49 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

- (7-21-17) So, I had fun at the park today. Didn't find any queens, but I found other ant activities going on that caught my attention.

Ant raid! I've been told the raiders are Formica aserva, and the ones being raided might be Formica subsericea. I'm just glad I got the genus right   :D

It's not often I can ID Formica in a video, but the raiders seem to be Formica pergandei based on the petiolar scale, hair coverage, and deep clypeal notch. Their host at the nest are Formica neogagates, Formica incerta, and numerous fusca-group Formica spp. Not to say that Formica aserva never go on raids, but "aserva" translates into "no slaves".

Well, when I Googled F. aserva to see if they fit the bill for a raiding species, I found that they are listed as a raiding species, will steal brood, raise them to work for the colony, and will often travel several meters to do so. They don't have to, but they'll do it anyways. The person who ID'd them also swore up and down he was 100% sure it was aserva, lol. Although, it could very well be F. pergandei. I have to take people's words for it though, since I don't really know what to look for when doing finer IDs. I'll list that species on the video as a possibility too though, since I really am not expecting a definitive answer and different people keep telling me different things, lol. I've heard it's very difficult to ID Formica species outside of putting them under a microscope.

Maybe I should try and catch one for closer examination. It'd be a lot easier to get macro shots in a closed environment.

Edited by Hikari, July 29 2017 - 9:58 PM.

#62 Offline Hikari - Posted August 1 2017 - 7:08 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

(8-1-17) So, today was a big day for Maya and her colony. Bit of backstory. I'd noticed that I'd lost a nanitic a few days ago. Didn't think much of it, heard they don't live very long. Well, last night I saw two more, and when I mentioned it on ant Discord chat, they said they shouldn't be dying that quickly. That got me concerned. As anyone who's read my journal knows, I haven't been a huge fan of THA's formicarium for a few reasons. Still, Maya seemed to be doing alright in it, so I just left her be. Well, with that many nanitics dead, I figured something should be done. I hooked them up to one of the extra bead container formicarium I had made, and waited overnight.

Well, I waited all day and they weren't even remotely interested in moving. I also saw another dead nanitic. That decided it. I was hoping not to use force, but in this case I did. Although, it wasn't really all that forceful, lol. I basically just opened both formicaria in a critter carrier to prevent escapes, and one by one, scooped out the nanitics and placed them in the new formicarium. Maya, bless her, was scrambling around so much, she actually fell in on her own, lol. Worked for me, I wasn't too keen on getting on the wrong end of those mandibles. She was in angry mama ant mode. After the adults were all added safely, I just lightly scooped out the brood in afterwards, and that was that. There was a bit of chaos while they got re-situated, but they have all settled in nicely. They seem to prefer the middle section. They've parked the brood on the warm side there. The bottom level humidity should eventually level out a bit, it's just rather damp because I just hydrated it.

In other news, my Tapinoma sessile queen got her first workers. I'm gonna keep an eye on them a bit longer to make sure they eat okay, but then they'll be listed on GAN. I've got too many other species to keep already.

My crazy Formica queen seems to have settled, and has stopped attempting to drown her pupa for now. I still don't think they look quite right, but I'll leave them be as long as they don't start growing mold. I haven't found any other Formica queens yet, so I'm riding on her to get a colony going.

One of these days, I need to sort out all the Temnothorax tubes and get them all in the same container. I just have so many... Going to release any queens who haven't laid any eggs yet. I know I had a few I put in tubes with their wings still attached.

Anyways, I think that's all the eventful stuff that's gone on today. I'll try and get update pics on everyone when I check in on them. I know y'all are probably curious to see Maya in her new home.

Edited by Hikari, August 1 2017 - 7:11 PM.

#63 Offline JackPearl - Posted August 1 2017 - 11:01 PM

JackPearl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
God, unfortunate to hear about Mayas nanitics.
But I'm glad that you've been able to move her and the brood, I honestly didn't like those losses and I thought something was fishy! Hopefully though maya is all fine.

#64 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted August 2 2017 - 4:10 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Good luck with the new(er) formicarium!

PS: The Lasius queen is Lasius Alienus (I think).

PSS: My queens often succeed when they have a dent in their gaster (my old Ochetellus Glaber and Pheidole Megacephala queens both had dents). If your queen had a large dent, though, she may actually have gotten severely injured.

Edited by Connectimyrmex, August 2 2017 - 4:17 AM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#65 Offline Hikari - Posted August 2 2017 - 5:54 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

- (7-21-17) So, I had fun at the park today. Didn't find any queens, but I found other ant activities going on that caught my attention.

Ant raid! I've been told the raiders are Formica aserva, and the ones being raided might be Formica subsericea. I'm just glad I got the genus right   :D

It's not often I can ID Formica in a video, but the raiders seem to be Formica pergandei based on the petiolar scale, hair coverage, and deep clypeal notch. Their host at the nest are Formica neogagates, Formica incerta, and numerous fusca-group Formica spp. Not to say that Formica aserva never go on raids, but "aserva" translates into "no slaves".

So, i should learn not to doubt your IDs. Someone else commented on the vid, a professor, and he also confirmed pergandei. Just figured I'd let you know that :P I've edited the vid now to just list that one, and some of the host species.

#66 Offline Hikari - Posted August 2 2017 - 6:09 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

God, unfortunate to hear about Mayas nanitics.
But I'm glad that you've been able to move her and the brood, I honestly didn't like those losses and I thought something was fishy! Hopefully though maya is all fine.

So far so good! They've settled in nicely.

Good luck with the new(er) formicarium!

PS: The Lasius queen is Lasius Alienus (I think).

PSS: My queens often succeed when they have a dent in their gaster (my old Ochetellus Glaber and Pheidole Megacephala queens both had dents). If your queen had a large dent, though, she may actually have gotten severely injured.

So far so good! Also, I'll probably go for an ID for that Lasius once workers arrive, just to be sure, but yeah, was also thinking L. alienus as a possibility. And yeah, some people with dented queens have things turn out all right, but poor Onyxia was a hot mess.

-----
Update time! (8-2-17) - So, my Formica queen is a total fail mom. She messed up both her own pupa and half the ones I gave her from a wild colony. She now has workers only because I took it upon myself to peel off the cocoons from the surviving pupa that were ready. On the plus side, she now has workers, so as long as she just remembers to lay more eggs, she'll hopefully be fine. One of the workers was so overdue in her pupa, her exoskeleton was already hardened, and she literally ran off as soon as she was out like "FREEDOM!!!" (and I'm like "WOAH, come back!" XD ). She's been all over the formicarium, and I have no doubt she'll be the first one to find the food on the level above. Most of the others are a little (or a lot) more wobbly, and still need to let their exoskeleton harden, but should be good to go in a day or two. I peeked in and it looks like the queen is at least trying to help groom the new workers a little. Glad she's at least adopted them alright. I'll be keeping an eye on the rest of the pupa, but I think the workers should be able to handle things from here.

Also, a really odd thing that happened at the park. There were a TON of Formica sp. ants running around, and they were dragging along what appeared to be a lot of unwilling female alates. It was chaos. Wasn't sure what exactly was going on, and it didn't seem like a run-of-the-mill nuptial flight. I captured a few, just on the slim chance they had flown, landed, and in the midst of finding spots, landed in that mess. My luck though, they're probably unmated. None of them have removed their wings yet. If they don't by Friday, I'll just release them where I found them (although they'll probably get jumped again). It was just so weird though, I'd never seen workers rounding up alates outside the nest like that like they do when they want to move queens. You'd think if they were unmated, they'd just leave them be to fly. One queen I didn't capture literally had a worker clamped on to her leg. Maybe it was an ant battle instead? Ants do weird things.

#67 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted August 3 2017 - 4:37 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

That strange nuptial flight may be a forced one: Sometimes colonies just ditch their alates when their flights are over.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#68 Offline Hikari - Posted August 5 2017 - 8:53 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

That strange nuptial flight may be a forced one: Sometimes colonies just ditch their alates when their flights are over

After some Google-fu, I found what seems to be an explanation. Basically, the conditions were right to trigger the alates to want to fly, but the workers didn't think it was the right time, and was trying to round them all back up. Would explain them having to forcibly drag them, cause those alate really did not want to cooperate. I ended up releasing back to their nest the day after, and they went back in without a fuss (though they could have just been running from me too).

Update time!
(8-3-17) Was at my local park releasing the Formica alates I had caught the day before, since I didn't think they had mated, and there was no sense in keeping them. Since I had gone out there, I decided to check the treeline to see if I could maybe spot something there instead. I stumbled upon a suspicious-looking acorn. Cracked it open to find these two:

lrPQQmU.jpg

Score! Two Lasius cf. niger, founding together. Since they'll eventually fight when workers arrive, I plan to separate them probably around the time the first pupa arrive, and split the brood as evenly as I can. Til then though, I plan to leave them together to care for the brood. Makes up for the Myrmica colony I found in another acorn that seems to be lacking a queen. Found eggs, larva, pupa, and alates...but no queen. It's weird. My only guess is the colony was split between acorns, but usually when I find them nesting in them, they're all together. Oh well. I'm probably going to release them, but they weather got cold and rainy, so there hasn't been a good chance. Also found a few Temnothorax curvispinosus colonies while I was out too, but with all the Temnothorax queens I have, I really don't need any more right now, lol.

(8-4-17) Looked in on Freya, only to discover her brood was a mess. Things were moldy, she'd soaked her only pupa and it was basically mush, and it was just a mess. I decided to modify my THA formicarium, add a second hole to attach a test tube though, a vent for better air circulation, and also a cotton-plugged tube for feeding, and put her in there. I debated giving her some of Terra's pupa, but thought if she messed up that badly, I'll just see if she can redeem herself on her own. Good thing I didn't mess with Terra. She's been a good mom, and later on that night, I saw her first nanitic had eclosed!

Checking up on Maya, I noticed she'd lost another nanitic. She had made her way down to the lower level of the formicarium, and just died. I am starting to think maybe it really was their time. That would make 5 out of 6 of the original nanitics that had died roughly within the same timeframe they were eclosed.

(8-5-17) Had to clean up the Formica's formicarium quite a bit today. Because of the queen's stupid antics, a lot of the rest of the pupa that were eclosed by the workers only contained dead ants. They were starting to mold, so I took them out. Some of the older pupa did still did do alright though, miraculously. Saw a live callow worker as I was cleaning, so that was nice. They have received some fresh pupa again, courtesy of my burnpile colony, and the workers have been doing a good job caring for those. They should be in good hands (mandibles?). Visibility isn't the greatest in the bead containers though, even though they actually do function rather well, so I'm thinking of trying a second formicarium design I've seen lately, and seeing if maybe they'll prefer that better. At the very least, it'd keep them away from the cotton water wick, which seems to be a weakness for the queens.

Another of Maya's nanitics is currently parked in the lower level of the formicarium. I can guess I probably won't find her alive in the morning. Poor nanitics...they really do have short lives T-T The colony as a whole should be okay though. She still has 6 or so workers, and two of the pupa look ready to eclose any day now.

Edited by Hikari, August 6 2017 - 9:18 PM.

#69 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 6 2017 - 4:53 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Those Lasius queens are more likely Lasius alienus, Lasius pallitarsis or Lasius neoniger. Nice catches.

#70 Offline Hikari - Posted August 6 2017 - 9:59 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

Those Lasius queens are more likely Lasius alienus, Lasius pallitarsis or Lasius neoniger. Nice catches.

We have pretty much all those species (well, maybe not L. pallitarsis), including L. niger apparently, so it can be a pain to try and get any definitive IDs. I've just been calling them Lasius cf. niger for now, and might try for a more infinitive ID once workers arrive, since having those can help too. Although, depending on things, outside of putting them under a microscope, it still might be hard to differentiate them.

-----

Update time
(8-6-17) So, Maya lost not one, but four workers since last I checked on her, and a fifth isn't looking all that great. Not really sure what's going on at this point. Since the dying workers all went to the bottom section, I decided to plug that halfway with cotton to discourage them from going down there. Not sure if it'll affect anything or not though. I don't even know if it's the formicarium's fault, or the nanitics just being really short-lived or what. TBH, part of me is tempted to move them into a test tube set-up, but seeing as I've already moved them once already, I'd rather not stress them out more. Plus, for what it's worth, new workers are eclosing. Got a new one today, with two more looking ready soon too. Maya also still appears to be doing alright as well. I suppose I could still hook a test tube up to the formicarium as an option for them to move into in case there is something about the bead container they don't like. In the meantime, I've been meaning to experiment with a different type of grout formicarium, and I plan to make them an outworld too, and I'll have a few days off to do it. A proper outworld would allow me to use the sugar waterers I made again. The mini-outworlds and the bead containers are too small, and I've had to make due using small trays made from the inner rim of plastic bottlecaps.

Formica workers are eclosing at a brisk pace now, and their bead container is bustling, so they'll also need a proper outworld too. I've been seeing many callow workers, so I know the other workers are taking care of all the pupa. The queen has been pretty chill this whole time. Hopefully she's debating on her next batch of eggs soon. If I buy a new formicarium any time soon, it'll be for these girls.

Tomorrow will be feeding day. Got something special. Frozen organic berry mix. Gonna thaw a few out and give the ants different pieces to see what they like. Protein will be either crickets or fruit flies, haven't decided yet.

#71 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 7 2017 - 4:13 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Camponotus nanitics should be living for almost one year or more.

As for the Lasius queens, they are almost certainly Lasius alienus. A majority of Lasius niger finds in North America have been misidentifications -- ours live in the mountains, and are very rarely found by hobbyists. Check the antennal scapes -- if they have bristly hairs sticking straight out, then it is Lasius pallitarsis or Lasius neoniger. If there are only appressed hairs on the scapes, then it is Lasius alienus. Between L. neoniger and L. pallitarsis, Lasius pallitarsis will have six teeth in a row on their mandibles, with the basal, seventh tooth positioned further up the mandibles. It is too early in the month for Lasius neoniger (and L. pallitarsis, from my experience).

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#72 Offline JackPearl - Posted August 7 2017 - 4:59 PM

JackPearl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

As for the Lasius queens, they are almost certainly Lasius alienus. A majority of Lasius niger finds in North America have been misidentifications -- ours live in the mountains, and are very rarely found by hobbyists. Check the antennal scapes -- if they have bristly hairs sticking straight out, then it is Lasius pallitarsis or Lasius neoniger. If there are only appressed hairs on the scapes, then it is Lasius alienus. Between L. neoniger and L. pallitarsis, Lasius pallitarsis will have six teeth in a row on their mandibles, with the basal, seventh tooth positioned further up the mandibles. It is too early in the month for Lasius neoniger (and L. pallitarsis, from my experience).

Would you have any idea as to why Maya's nanitics are dieing? The ant discord have discussed it, and we also believe it is abnormal for the workers do die so quickly.

#73 Offline Hikari - Posted August 7 2017 - 11:19 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

Would you have any idea as to why Maya's nanitics are dieing? The ant discord have discussed it, and we also believe it is abnormal for the workers do die so quickly.

It's bugging the crap put of me too, cause she was doing so well otherwise.
-----
(8-7-17) At any rate, Maya has moved to a test tube, although when I took it away from the formicarium, she tried to make a break for it, lol. Luckily, she's big and easy to catch. I'm leaving it closed and covered overnight. Tomorrow I'll fashion her a new mini outworld, since I didn't think she'd need it anymore and gave it to the Tetramorium.

I dunno if I mentioned, but my first Tetramorium queen has workers now, hence the need of the outworld. Quite a few since I only checked on her once a week or so. They were hungry! Dragged both pieces of the cut-in-half cricket I gave them into the entrance of the test tube. The fruit seems to have gone over well with all the ants. They were extremely juicy once I thawed them out. The bigger Myrmica colonies also wasted no time coming out to eat (they are so easy to feed, I love them for that). Even Terra's single nanitic found her half of a cricket and took it back to mom (I wonder when the others will eclose?). I haven't seen the Tapinoma out eating yet, but they might prefer night foraging.

#74 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted August 10 2017 - 12:32 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

My tetramorium queen just got workers as well! Congrats on your Tetramorium queen!

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#75 Offline Hikari - Posted August 11 2017 - 11:05 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

My tetramorium queen just got workers as well! Congrats on your Tetramorium queen!

I actually sold her via GAN a few days ago, along with two of the Myrmica colonies, and the one Temnothorax colony. I hope they all do well at their new forever homes.

#76 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted August 13 2017 - 7:21 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

I'm glad you did. I try to catch and keep only one of each species I find so I can easily space out the time I use to care for them.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#77 Offline Hikari - Posted August 13 2017 - 7:02 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

I've been working a lot as of late, so I haven't had a good chance to update. Things have been pretty slow anyways. Here are some highlights (no specific dates cause I forgot)

- Sold four colonies. One Temnothorax curvispinosis, two of the Myrmica sp., and my recently matured Tetramorium. I caught two new Temnothorax and Myrmica colonies in acorns that same day, lol.

- My Ponera escaped. Well, the two workers anyways. The queen stayed behind. She never did lay any new eggs though, so I released her in one of my flowerpots.

- Maya's down to one healthy worker. There's a second one, but she just kinda lays on her back and wiggles her legs and antennae a bit. Two others appear to be dead. Hoping the newer pupa eclose soon (they're taking their time, but they also aren't heated as much as they used to be). She's still got a small pile of pupa, brood (which she guards like a dragon on treasure), and I've noticed new eggs, so she still has plenty of chances to bounce back as long as her and that one worker hold out long enough.

- Terra has four healthy workers and one dead one. I will be monitoring her closely as well. The one death could have just been a random fluke.

- Far as I can tell, my Formica queen still hasn't laid any new eggs, but she's got a large (stolen) worker force. I happened across a few larvae on my last pupa raid, so they're in there as well. Tossed them a cricket, since now they have larvae that'll need it. Wish I could feed them without them being like "OMGWTF?! THE WORLD IS ENDING". Seriously...they spook so easily. Hoping to get them a separate formicarium and outworld set-up soon.

I'm planning on (trying) to be awake for when Ant-Kit's page comes back up, cause I'm really curious on the sales and things they're offering. They had good prices last I checked, but the shipping's always kind of been a turn-off (since it'd be from the UK), but Ant-topia is still MIA, AC is too pricey, and I refuse to buy anymore THA stuff, so yeah...if I want store-bought it's either gonna be them or the Chinese ones. Still, if I can get some good deals, the cost + shipping may even out and make it worth it. Plus, I did just get a bit of money from the sold colonies last week, so I can maybe afford to splurge a little (though still can't go too crazy. I don't charge THAT much for my colonies, lol). I'll update later on if I end up buying anything or not.

#78 Offline T.C. - Posted August 13 2017 - 7:49 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I've been working a lot as of late, so I haven't had a good chance to update. Things have been pretty slow anyways. Here are some highlights (no specific dates cause I forgot)
- Sold four colonies. One Temnothorax curvispinosis, two of the Myrmica sp., and my recently matured Tetramorium. I caught two new Temnothorax and Myrmica colonies in acorns that same day, lol.
- My Ponera escaped. Well, the two workers anyways. The queen stayed behind. She never did lay any new eggs though, so I released her in one of my flowerpots.
- Maya's down to one healthy worker. There's a second one, but she just kinda lays on her back and wiggles her legs and antennae a bit. Two others appear to be dead. Hoping the newer pupa eclose soon (they're taking their time, but they also aren't heated as much as they used to be). She's still got a small pile of pupa, brood (which she guards like a dragon on treasure), and I've noticed new eggs, so she still has plenty of chances to bounce back as long as her and that one worker hold out long enough.
- Terra has four healthy workers and one dead one. I will be monitoring her closely as well. The one death could have just been a random fluke.
- Far as I can tell, my Formica queen still hasn't laid any new eggs, but she's got a large (stolen) worker force. I happened across a few larvae on my last pupa raid, so they're in there as well. Tossed them a cricket, since now they have larvae that'll need it. Wish I could feed them without them being like "OMGWTF?! THE WORLD IS ENDING". Seriously...they spook so easily. Hoping to get them a separate formicarium and outworld set-up soon.
I'm planning on (trying) to be awake for when Ant-Kit's page comes back up, cause I'm really curious on the sales and things they're offering. They had good prices last I checked, but the shipping's always kind of been a turn-off (since it'd be from the UK), but Ant-topia is still MIA, AC is too pricey, and I refuse to buy anymore THA stuff, so yeah...if I want store-bought it's either gonna be them or the Chinese ones. Still, if I can get some good deals, the cost + shipping may even out and make it worth it. Plus, I did just get a bit of money from the sold colonies last week, so I can maybe afford to splurge a little (though still can't go too crazy. I don't charge THAT much for my colonies, lol). I'll update later on if I end up buying anything or not.

I give my formica an outworld right away for that very reason. They go all bananas on you if they even sense the slightest vibration or lighting change. I had one of my many formica colonies get its first worker the other day, so I had a new small nest and outworld that I gave to them. I took the lid off the tube to hook it up to the nest, and it was a good thing I got it hooked to the nest within 2 seconds because they just came barreling out of the tube. Then I just dumped the other cocoons in and they were content.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#79 Offline Hikari - Posted August 17 2017 - 9:48 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

I give my formica an outworld right away for that very reason. They go all bananas on you if they even sense the slightest vibration or lighting change. I had one of my many formica colonies get its first worker the other day, so I had a new small nest and outworld that I gave to them. I took the lid off the tube to hook it up to the nest, and it was a good thing I got it hooked to the nest within 2 seconds because they just came barreling out of the tube. Then I just dumped the other cocoons in and they were content.

LOL. Yeah, they're such jumpy things. They'll have to wait a little longer though. The first attempt I made at a grout formicarium didn't quite work out. The grout cracked a lot. I need to work on my grout/sand/water mixing ratio. On the plus side, once I figure something out, they should have a really nice solid formicarium to live in.

-----
Update time!
(8-18-17) We had some nasty thunderstorms blow through today, but it brought some much-needed rain. Gonna go out hunting for queens tomorrow.

I separated my Lasius queens yesterday. I split the brood as evenly as I could manage. I also happened across an acorn filled with Lasius pupa, so I took about half of them and spread them across my three queens (boosting to around 10 each or so). Lo and behold, I saw callow workers tonight! Good thing I separated the queens when I did. I avoided them fighting.

Also boosted the Formica again, cause I could. It appears the queen is also laying eggs again, at least that's what I thought I saw in the mandibles of one of the workers. I hope the queen's workers end up as pretty as the ones I've boosted her with, but I still don't know her species. Either way, she's doing fine. Her several dozen adopted children seem to be taking good care of her (and if the workers have the eggs, that'll prevent her from being a fail-mom again, lol).

Also, I've decided which ants I'll be keeping, and which I'll be selling. I'm keeping all three Camponotus queens, mostly because only one is doing well (it's Terra). Maya is holding steady, and Freya might just overwinter with no brood at this rate (she is being fed at least, so I'm trying my best with her). I'm obviously keeping the Formica as well. I've decided to keep one of the Lasius, probably the first queen I caught cause she was a happy accident. Finally, I've decided to keep some of the Tetramorium, at least for now. That may change if I can get a Crematogaster queen within the next two months though. Gonna sell off the others. Not interested in keeping the Tapinoma sessile after all (omg, they try and get out constantly), and I figure if I change my mind on Myrmica later, they are suuuper easy to find in acorns around here, so I'll just catch new ones. I have recently discovered that Myrmica are capable of some rather painful stings though, so kinda puts a damper on them (getting stung was due to an accident though, and my fault, otherwise they've been pretty chill). As for the Temnothorax...well, they're just kinda there, not doing a whole lot. I have a bunch of founding queens, and they're easy to find, so if I change my mind later, not a huge deal.

But yeah, so hoping I can catch a Crematogaster! They're so cute! Wish me luck.

#80 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 17 2017 - 10:11 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Picture updates :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, formica, lasius, tetramorium, camponotus pennsylvanicus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users