• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hi from Kansas

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline hendicott - Posted May 22 2017 - 7:18 AM

hendicott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Kansas

A couple months ago I stumbled onto an Ants Canada Vid and thought it was pretty cool. I started watching more and learning more about ants. I found out that the nuptial flights would be beginning so I got a few test tubes and cotton and had them at the ready. My wife and I like to walk and play pokemon go but now I had test tubes ready to catch "the queen". No luck, no luck, no luck and thought that I would never find one and that i'd have to buy one locally but I really wanted to start with catching one.

Things changed on May 9th. It was time to plate dinner and when opening up a cabinet, there she was. A bigger that normal ant, just sitting there. I immediately focused on the middle section of her body and it was large. I thought...REALLY! So I ran to my test tube and proceeded to heard her in to it. After dinner I setup a tube with water like I had seen in lots of vids and put her away in the basement store room. I checked on her every couple of days to see what was going on but nothing for 2 weeks. I took some pictures with my phone and tried looking for wing scares and wondering if she had mated and thought if it works it works and if not oh well.

On May 17th, I decided to move her from the cooler storage room to my room. I put her tube in a black felt bag near the cable box where it generates a little heat. On May 19th...THERE IS AN EGG! How cool is that? Finding a queen in you house. We don't have a lot of ants that come into the house, just occasionally when there is drought or a lot of extra rain will they come in and find the cats food dish.

So now I have a queen that looks like she will start a family but i'm not sure what she is. She was kind of redish when I first caught her but is more black now. She is about 1/4 to 5/8" or .6-.7cm.

I'll add a pic as soon as I look at the instructions on how to do that.

I put a pic in the gallery.

Hudson

Edited by hendicott, May 22 2017 - 8:30 AM.

--Hudson--

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted May 22 2017 - 7:27 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Welcome to the forum. Host images through imgur or photobucket. Also, as for your queen, It sounds alot like camponotous noveboracensis?
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted May 22 2017 - 9:49 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
This one?

Camponotous for sure, and possibly camponotous noveboracensis? Hard to tell by the picture!
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted May 22 2017 - 9:59 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Welcome!

You will want to post an ID request for her ideally. Just make sure to read the guidelines!
  • jsCoder likes this

#5 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted May 22 2017 - 11:15 AM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Just curious, what part of Kansas are you from?

#6 Offline jsCoder - Posted May 22 2017 - 12:14 PM

jsCoder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hello! Welcome :) 

#7 Offline Jelly - Posted May 22 2017 - 12:25 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your first catch! Sometimes you just get lucky and they find you. I been out searching several times this year but found the first queen of weekend in my back yard.... lol

Here's the template to post an ID request: http://www.formicult...t-a-new-thread/

• Nathant2131 likes this

#8 Offline hendicott - Posted May 23 2017 - 5:44 AM

hendicott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Kansas

T.C. - Yes that's her. It's the best pic I have. The tube is plastic and seems to have some kind of texture on the outside that I didn't notice until I tried to take a picture and my best camera is an iPad.

Jelly - Thanks for the link.

After I posted yesterday, I saw the ID section so I'll get a better pic, post her there. As of last night she had 4 eggs. I hope she's fertile. 

Thanks for everyone's input and welcomes.

--Hudson--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users