• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmidon's Camponotus Collective (Updated: 7.6.17)

camponotus pennsylvanicus camponotus chromaiodes camponotus species

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Myrmidon - Posted May 18 2017 - 7:29 PM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWaltham, Massachusetts

Hey all!

Here's my second attempt at a journal but I have a feeling it will include a large variety of this genus because the Northeast is going into Camponotus hyperdrive. In any case, I will most likely just keep updating this with newer additions and call this my Camponotus Collective.

Entry for 5.18.17: The Beginning of the Season!

At the moment I was able to catch queens from C. pennsylvanicus (x7) and C. chromaiodes (x2) and have them all in a test tube setup with a heating cable in an empty drawer of an unused room (so this area will not be air conditioned at all). Both nuptial flights happened two days in a row (5.17.17 + 5.18.17) with temperatures rising in the low 90's and evening temperatures in high 70's - 80's. There was rainfall two evenings prior. There were flights in the later portion of the afternoon and were most active at night from 7 - 10 pm.

I had taken pictures of the first two queens (each depicting both different species) I caught below:

Camponotus pennsylvanicus:
IMG 3358
Camponotus chromaiodes:
IMG 3354

My current collective setup is below:

CamponotusCollective

As the queens are still getting settled, I didn't want to keep them out too long and bombard them with picture time. I'll take individual shots once they've settled a bit. The C. chromaiodes queens in particular are ferocious when it comes to the cotton balls!

Hope to keep updating this with their progress and adding other of this genus as the season continues on in Massachusetts!

Edited by Myrmidon, July 6 2017 - 7:06 PM.

• Nathant2131, Cindy and Hikari like this

Keeper of:

Prenolepis imparis (4 founding queens)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus (5 founding queens)

Reticulitermes flavipes (3 pairs, subterranean termite)

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted May 19 2017 - 2:37 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
My pennsylvanicus queens calmed down as soon as they were transferred into their test tubes. They stay concerningly still, despite them being in the light. I even saw an egg already this morning!
  • Myrmidon likes this

#3 Offline Myrmidon - Posted May 19 2017 - 4:22 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

My pennsylvanicus queens calmed down as soon as they were transferred into their test tubes. They stay concerningly still, despite them being in the light. I even saw an egg already this morning!

Score! I noticed that too. They produce really fast! They are also way more chill than the red queens.

I haven't checked on them yet will probably check on them later if/when I score other Camponotus on my hike today. It just rained again so I'm hoping they are all hiding under rocks and logs so it will be easier for me. :P

• Nathant2131 likes this

Keeper of:

#4 Offline Myrmidon - Posted May 21 2017 - 6:48 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

5/21/17:

I left the collective alone for a bit. Those queens were seriously hating the light! But I checked on them today and all queens are alive and seemingly healthy. I am probably going to not take individual pictures of each one unless there's something interesting to share or if I want to practice my photography skills (I'm getting better, I think!). Either way, I will label them so that when I post a pic I know which queen I'm talking about. But I will at least take pictures of one of each individual species.

As of now there's x7 C. pennsylvanicus queens so quite simply they will just be P1 - P7. And x2 C. chromaiodes queens so C1 - C2. If I catch more of the species I'll just keep adding a number after their species letter. 

The heating cable is in place and the reading shows that it's holding at a stable 74F the past 4 days. 

C1 queen (caught on 5.17.17):

The ferocious queen I mentioned in my first post. I didn't think she would settle but she did and is producing eggs. I like this shot because it shows her detached wing too. I love their color so much. Also something to note: these eggs are more white compared to the pennsylvanicus eggs - which are more on the yellowish side.

Why I chose this queen: the 2nd queen of this species hasn't produced eggs yet (she was caught on 5.18.17)

FullSizeRender-11_zps595rnemg.jpg

FullSizeRender-16_zps3nwfoqym.jpg

P2 queen (caught on 5.17.17):

Her behavior is similar to most of the others - surprisingly not very active or hostile towards the cotton balls. She just kind of laid herself down flat and just chilled against the floor of the test tube. She was a bit more active for the photos and when I introduced her to the light; frantically moving her eggs around.

Why I chose this queen: one of my first prizes and has the most eggs.

FullSizeRender-14_zps66hj0gxs.jpg

FullSizeRender-13_zpsiocgcroo.jpg

Also, I feel like I'm getting better at my quality of photos. It definitely has to do more so with lightening than anything else! I'll keep working on it.

I will probably leave these lovelies alone for about a week and update around then!

Edited by Myrmidon, May 21 2017 - 7:09 AM.

Keeper of:

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted May 21 2017 - 6:53 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

That's a lot of eggs! They got going quick.

• Myrmidon likes this

#6 Offline Myrmidon - Posted May 21 2017 - 6:57 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

That's a lot of eggs! They got going quick.

I know! I just peaked at yours too and it looks like they are also laying. We're lucky - we'll be ahead of the game if they prove to be fertile. ;)

• Nathant2131 likes this

Keeper of:

#7 Offline Hikari - Posted May 23 2017 - 9:24 AM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

Wow, so many Camponotus! Amazes me that people can find so many in one go!

#8 Offline Myrmidon - Posted May 23 2017 - 10:05 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Wow, so many Camponotus! Amazes me that people can find so many in one go!

I was pretty excited about my luck too - especially since it was the very beginning of their fights. We expect them to have more when it gets warmer again.

At this rate I will definitely have more queens than I need this season, so I'll probably look to joining the GAN Project or something.  (y)

Keeper of:

#9 Offline Myrmidon - Posted May 27 2017 - 8:29 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Entry 5.27.17: New additions and eggs galore!

Just a quickie this time around. I think there must have either been a small flight or the cold weather has summoned several dealates into my house. I caught 2 of them near my cats water/food bowel. I kind of felt drawn to them at that point so I added them to my C. pennsylvanicus group; they are now P8 and P9 which brings me up to 9 of these particular queens.

I did a quick check on the group: all are still alive which is a relief. They have all laid their own batches of eggs. Even the 2nd C. chromaoides finally settled and she has two eggs from what I can see.

I decided to take two more pics of a select queen from each species again:

C1 queen:

My favorite one at the moment. Love the redness to the gaster.

IMG_3418_zps6a9bmtkq.jpg

P3 queen:

This one is a real beauty. Also her mandibles are pretty intimidating when you see them trying to grasp for the eggs.

IMG_3420_zps8lwf0aei.jpg

Edited by Myrmidon, May 27 2017 - 8:38 AM.

Keeper of:

#10 Offline Myrmidon - Posted June 9 2017 - 8:20 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Entry: 6.9.17: Larvae Development!

Did a quick check on these ladies. All 10 C. pennyslvanicus queens have brood though at various stages of development. My earlier caught queens like the ones depicted here have just hatched their first larvae. Also my favorite C. chromaiodes queen also has larvae. All and all, everyone seems to be quite content in their dark heated environment. Not sure if I also want to start messing with them and giving a fruit fly here and there now that they have larvae but since they are fully claustral I am not that worried. Water levels are good as well!

P2 Queen:

IMG_3476_zpsctes7k50.jpg

IMG_3475_zpssa5dzaf5.jpg

C1 Queen:

IMG_3472_zpshu9qg1f5.jpg

IMG_3471_zpscqjzbunh.jpg

Edited by Myrmidon, June 9 2017 - 12:43 PM.

• Ants4fun and Cindy like this

Keeper of:

#11 Offline Cindy - Posted June 9 2017 - 11:59 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA
Nice! My queens (probably just a single queen now, very unfortunate story) have been chilling in an unheated environment and still have eggs. It's nice to see the positive effect that heat has on their development in your journal.
  • Myrmidon likes this

#12 Offline Myrmidon - Posted June 9 2017 - 12:40 PM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Nice! My queens (probably just a single queen now, very unfortunate story) have been chilling in an unheated environment and still have eggs. It's nice to see the positive effect that heat has on their development in your journal.

Thanks Cindy!!  The environment stays around 75 - 80. I keep checking in every few days just to make sure they don't roast. They seem to be fine! I also have my Formica queen in there with them and it looked like it helped her brood development quite a bit too!

What happened to your queen? :(

• Cindy likes this

Keeper of:

#13 Offline Cindy - Posted June 9 2017 - 3:28 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

Thanks Cindy!!  The environment stays around 75 - 80. I keep checking in every few days just to make sure they don't roast. They seem to be fine! I also have my Formica queen in there with them and it looked like it helped her brood development quite a bit too!

What happened to your queen? :(

Well, last night when I checked on her she looked like she was struggling / stuck on the side of the glass. When I looked closer I saw that her gaster was glued to the glass... So basically she was glued to the glass because she laid on her waste and it dried I guess (serious facepalm). I freed her however last I checked she looked like she was dying. Sad part is that she seemed to be doing the most well out of the rest.

#14 Offline Myrmidon - Posted June 9 2017 - 3:45 PM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Well, last night when I checked on her she looked like she was struggling / stuck on the side of the glass. When I looked closer I saw that her gaster was glued to the glass... So basically she was glued to the glass because she laid on her waste and it dried I guess (serious facepalm). I freed her however last I checked she looked like she was dying. Sad part is that she seemed to be doing the most well out of the rest.

Oh man, that's a total bummer. :(

Well I think summer is finally getting started (finally) so we should see more flights! I'll be sure to post any sightings!

• Nathant2131 likes this

Keeper of:

#15 Offline Myrmidon - Posted June 15 2017 - 5:50 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Entry 6.15.17: Pupae development and further growth! 4 queens depicted in this one:

Hey all! Decided to just check up on these ladies. Everyone is alive and well. The pennsylvanicus queens are at various stages of brood development with the earlier caught queens with larger larvae and pupae (depicted) while some of the later ones just have eggs and/or smaller larvae.

The chromaiodes queens have brood; the first queen has her first cocoon and a very large larvae (probably going to cocoon soon as well) so her brood is growing really fast (depicted)! The second queen was caught later on so she has eggs and smaller larvae at the moment.

C. pennsylvanicus group: 

P1: Giving me some eye action

FullSizeRender-23_zpsvnbak275.jpg

Pretty decent sized brood, larger larvae and may possible develop into pupae in a few more days.

P2: Side view

FullSizeRender-22_zpsab9ksigq.jpg

Significantly more developed larvae, probably going to see two of them cocoon around the same time in a few days.

P9: Just for fun because I like how this one still retained one of her wings.

FullSizeRender-25_zpsuud1jgdn.jpg

Some eggs and smaller larvae.

C. chromaiodes:

C1: My favorite

FullSizeRender-24_zps2sk2tuuw.jpg

1 Pupae and a really large larvae, which will also probably pupate soon. Some smaller larvae/eggs were sort of clumped underneath the cocoon so it was hard to catch them, there is around 5-6 of them.

Edited by Myrmidon, June 15 2017 - 5:53 AM.

Keeper of:

#16 Offline Myrmidon - Posted July 6 2017 - 7:03 PM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Entry: 7/6/17: Nanitic's all around!

Well the day has arrived and I'm shocked to see this species growing as quickly as they are! I didn't expect the Camponotus sp to be baby booming so quick! In particularly the pennsylvanicus queens are really getting them out quick. The chromaoides queens are a little less productive. My favorite queen (C1) has nanitics. The second chromaiodes queen would have eggs but then eat them, then lay again and then eat them. I think I'm stressing her out so I may separate her as I maintain the small colonies with food and such. Also I'm pretty sure I have chosen the ones I intend to keep at this point so... I'm considering options with what to do with the rest.

Also, I have set one of the pennsylvanicus queens free this evening. She never laid any eggs, her tube was getting moldy and at this point I didn't really feel the need to continue raising her.

As for feeding: I give them sunburst nectar on a cottonball (which they totally engorge on) and 1 - 2 fruit flies. I also caught some pretty big crickets and have been freezing to give them once they have a few more workers.

Anyway, here's the pics with my favorites:

C1: 

IMG_3585_zpsjajcz4y8.jpg

Her two workers are high energy and less scared to move around than the pennsylvanicus workers. She has about 4 pupae left and 1 larger larvae. She also laid a newer batch of eggs.

P1:

IMG_3587_zpsi7e7mocx.jpg

She has the most workers! Has 5 at the time of this photo but will nearly have 2 more very soon. Her pupae count is around 5 and she has fewer larvae and some eggs.

P2: 

IMG_3586_zpsmmia1zn6.jpg

She's definitely more skiddish and likes to hide up against the cotton as best she can. She has about 3 workers and 3 pupae with some larvae and eggs scattered about.

Edited by Myrmidon, July 7 2017 - 6:04 AM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

Keeper of:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus pennsylvanicus, camponotus chromaiodes, camponotus species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users