• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Combined Worker ID Request: Philadelphia, PA 5/16/2017

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 16 2017 - 6:12 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Worker One:

1. Location of collection: Horsham, PA: Suburb of Greater Philadelphia.
2. Date of collection: May 16, 2017.
3. Habitat of collection: Caught foraging around the base of a (presumably) dead tree.
4. Length (from head to gaster): Approximately 3.4-3.9 mm.
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Reddish/brown head & mesosoma with a shiny, dark gaster.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Post-petiole Absent
7. Distinguishing behavior: Simply stood still, twitching her legs individually, approx. 5-7 minutes after she was taken from the fridge.

8. Nest description: NA

Notes: At first I though this was a smaller C. caryae or C. nearcticus worker, which have been known and documented to exist in the vicinity this specimen was collected from; although her segmented and not "curved" mesosoma eliminates Camponotus; she may be a smaller Formica species.

USEP1070881_zps6v06r2jq.jpgUSEP1070876_zpsu7rjrbcd.jpgUSEP1070889_zps5ltf3zfo.jpgUSEP1070887_zpsjryoobnc.jpg

Worker Two

1. Location of collection: Horsham, PA: Suburb of Greater Philadelphia.
2. Date of collection: May 16, 2017.
3. Habitat of collection: Caught foraging around the base of a (presumably) dead tree.
4. Length (from head to gaster): Approximately 2.6-3.1 mm.
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Black, shiny head, mesosoma, and gaster. Legs seem to be orange/yellow in hue.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Post-petiole Present
7. Distinguishing behavior: Moves slowly and steadily, does not exhibit fast, jerky or sporadic movements. Did not seem to be in direct vicinity or interacting with other workers of the same species, although others were present.
8. Nest description: Presumably beneath bark on tree.

Notes: When we noticed the worker at first, my brother and I briefly decided she was a Monomorium species, due to her shiny black hue and relatively small size. Upon further investigation, we've been considering Temonothorax longispinosus. I know Nathant1234 published an identification thread showcasing a potential T. longispinosus worker. It may (or may not) help to know that there are many, thriving T. ambiguus and T. curvispinosus colonies in the same general area as these workers were seen foraging.

USEP1070931_zpsje0gxif8.jpgUSEP1070929_zpsuywkitbt.jpgUSEP1070901_zps4tagjtff.jpg

I know I say this every time, but I sincerely apologize for the quality of the photography; I'm still working on it!

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted May 16 2017 - 6:23 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

The photos are good, lighting is all that needs work.

Spoiler

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 16 2017 - 6:38 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Looks like Camponotus Colobopsis mississippiensis (from the Colobopsis subgenus) and Temnothorax longispinosus.

Edited by Batspiderfish, May 16 2017 - 7:02 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 16 2017 - 6:45 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Looks like Camponotus mississippiensis (from the Colobopsis subgenus) and Temnothorax longispinosus.

For the first one, what made you rule out a Dormyrmex species (maybe D. insanus) or a smaller Formica species (like F. lasiodes or F. neogagates)?

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted May 16 2017 - 6:45 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

There are still members of Colobopsis in the Camponotus genus?

Spoiler

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 16 2017 - 6:51 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

This image may help a little bit, although the eyes are still somewhat difficult to make out.

USEUSE_zpsuvhkjh8u.jpg

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 16 2017 - 7:04 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

No, you are correct, Martialis. I am a little behind on Camponotus taxonomy. Colobopsis is now a valid genus. http://www.antwiki.o..._Formicinae.pdf

Dorymyrmex would have a vertical cone-like tooth on the propodeum.

The sharp drop-off on the propodeum, the angle of the gaster, and the roundness of the head dissuaded me from Formica.

Edited by Batspiderfish, May 16 2017 - 7:06 PM.

• Martialis likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#8 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 16 2017 - 7:10 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

No, you are correct, Martialis. I am a little behind on Camponotus taxonomy. Colobopsis is now a valid genus. http://www.antwiki.o..._Formicinae.pdf

Dorymyrmex would have a vertical cone-like tooth on the propodeum.

The sharp drop-off on the propodeum, the angle of the gaster, and the roundness of the head dissuaded me from Formica.

Thank you so much, having a Colobopsis species in my yard is very exciting. I'm pretty sure this identification is correct, although I'll do my best to get some clearer, maybe closer images tomorrow when I can return to the site, so we can be sure.

#9 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted May 17 2017 - 3:16 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Looks like Camponotus Colobopsis mississippiensis (from the Colobopsis subgenus) and Temnothorax longispinosus.

This seems correct, however we do not have Colobopsis in Pennsylvania.

#10 Offline Martialis - Posted May 17 2017 - 3:57 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Http://antmaps.org is not 100% accurate.

• Nathant2131 likes this
Spoiler

#11 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 17 2017 - 4:03 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Two Colobopsis species are recorded in Ohio and Maryland, so it's not too far fetched that we might also find them in Pennsylvania.

----

#12 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 17 2017 - 6:42 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Here are some better photos are 40x mag. Almost 90% sure she is Colobopsis sp. now.

USEP1070971_zpstntythcl.jpgUSEP1070982_zpsz30v7a9v.jpgUSEP1070979_zpsbsshrts8.jpgUSEP1070977_zpslsbzigkf.jpgUSEP1070974_zpsc5nyfb7w.jpgUSEP1070975_zpsi9wvpi6g.jpg

#13 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted May 17 2017 - 6:54 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Colobopsis for sure just looking at the head.

#14 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 18 2017 - 5:24 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Colobopsis for sure just looking at the head.

:)

Edited by VoidElecent, June 4 2017 - 10:19 AM.

#15 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 18 2017 - 2:22 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Colobopsis impressa where I live have been flying the past few nights but I doubt it's the same with C. mississippiensis in Pennsylvania.

• VoidElecent likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users