• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hibernated ants, a simple question

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dean_k - Posted September 30 2014 - 10:23 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Heya.

I placed my two tubes with Lasius sp ant queens in my mini fridge last night. This morning, before leaving for work, I checked on the tubes.

Thankfully, they seemed to be alive since their antennas were slowly moving. They were doing nothing else. Only their antennas had any motions.

I am assuming that I don't need to do anything at this point, yes? I am planning to let them be in there until the first day of next year.

Thanks.

#2 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 30 2014 - 10:37 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Seems like you've started hibernation a little early.

You won't need to do anything at this point except make sure water is always available to them and do the odd check in to make sure everything in the test tube is fine.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted September 30 2014 - 11:13 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Yes, they will be sluggish.  That is normal.

Just check on them every week to ensure they are fine (check if the test tube sprung a leak - not very common though).

Sounds like a good plan.  Most of mine are about to go into hibernation as well this week.

If for some reason the test tube floods, place the queen on a piece of paper towel.  At low temperatures they can survive being submerged for quite some time.

When you take the test tube out of the fridge, keep an eye on it.  When the cold water warms up, it may cause the cotton to leak - it is the only time I have ever seen one of my test tubes flood.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline dean_k - Posted September 30 2014 - 11:17 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
When you take the test tube out of the fridge, keep an eye on it.  When the cold water warms up, it may cause the cotton to leak - it is the only time I have ever seen one of my test tubes flood.

Thanks for that. I will keep that in my mind.

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 21 2014 - 9:39 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well, now I have some questions!

How worried should I be about test tubes flooding while they are in hibernation?

Do they eat anything- even just a little sugar water during hibernation?

What are the chances of test tube flooding during hibernation?

Are there any ways to reduce flooding of test tubes while they are in hibernation? (For example, keeping the front of the tube lifted slightly)

Are there just any major things I need to look out for?

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 21 2014 - 9:49 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What is the risk of not hibernating a species that usually hibernates?

#7 Offline dean_k - Posted October 22 2014 - 5:31 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I don't know. My Lasiuses have been in my fridge for a month now. They still move around albeit slowly. They still do their stuff albeit slowly. I don't feel they are really hibernating. I think they are just waiting.

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted October 22 2014 - 6:00 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Well, now I have some questions!

How worried should I be about test tubes flooding while they are in hibernation?

Do they eat anything- even just a little sugar water during hibernation?

What are the chances of test tube flooding during hibernation?

Are there any ways to reduce flooding of test tubes while they are in hibernation? (For example, keeping the front of the tube lifted slightly)

Are there just any major things I need to look out for?

I have never seen flooding while in hibernation, just when the test tube warms up causing the water to expand.

Some species go completely motionless, and even fall over and look dead.

Other species, such as Lasius, are known for being semi-active during hibernation.  Those that are a bit active I will offer one small drop of sugar water/hummingbird nectar about once a month.  Nothing other than sugar though, as cooler temperatures they will have a harder digesting it.

To reduce chance of flooding, lift the open end of the test tube.  Simply check on them every 3-4 days.  Even if they are completely underwater, with the cooler temperatures they all seem to survive if you dump them onto paper towel.  I had one Camponotus colony in a formicarium, and due to condensation the bottom of the plug in cooler filled with water without me noticing.  They were competely submerged for at least 2 days, but I quickly dumped them them and the water out, and out of over 100 ants, I only lost one.

Hibernation is pretty care-free.  I use a wine cooler with a glass door so I can keep an eye on them.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 22 2014 - 2:37 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You say your Lasius are partially active during hibernation? Mine are belly up legs curled in, and no movement. However, when they feel even a little heat they start to wake up.

#10 Offline dean_k - Posted October 22 2014 - 2:53 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Yep, my beer fridge is set at 4c. And hell yes they are active. Even last night when I opened it to get a can of beer, one of the queens was casually crawling around.

"Tough moms," I said to myself when I saw that.

Maybe, Canadian ants are tougher against cold? :D

Edited by dean_k, October 22 2014 - 2:54 PM.

#11 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 22 2014 - 2:55 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Mine look like they are dead. :P

#12 Offline Mercutia - Posted October 22 2014 - 4:20 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Canadians don't get cold. I guess that stereotype applies to ants too. That, and they live in igloos.

#13 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 22 2014 - 6:26 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

What is the risk of not hibernating a species that usually hibernates?

They will hibernate anyway no matter the temperature.

#14 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 22 2014 - 6:34 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I knew that, I was wondering if they need the temperature for something while being dormant?

#15 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 22 2014 - 6:37 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I knew that, I was wondering if they need the temperature for something while being dormant?

If you have it really cold and your getting bored, well having them cold allows you to have a faster hibernation. So if you take out in about 2 months they will start at it again like it's a new year.

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 22 2014 - 6:38 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Okay, that is helpful. I think I will hibernate my Tetramorium and Formica then. ;)

#17 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 22 2014 - 6:42 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Okay, that is helpful. I think I will hibernate my Tetramorium and Formica then. ;)

I'm pretty sure Tetramorium doesn't need hibernation.  ;)

#18 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 22 2014 - 6:49 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I know, but I caught them in an area where it snows. They will get a short period of rest with good food provided. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users