• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

For those who raise(ed) bullfrogs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 11 2017 - 6:12 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

So I recently learned that all the medium sized "toads" I've been seeing, are actually bullfrogs. There are bullfrogs left, right and center around here. There ARE actual toads (my wife found one the other night), and tiny frogs (not even the size of my thumb's nail) and spadefoot toads. Seen treefrogs a few times. Plus Xenopus frogs are everywhere this year (saw them last year, but not as many). But, I didn't realize I've been seeing lots of bullfrogs and wrongly identified them as just a medium toad until I saw pictures of bullfrogs. Plus frogs are slimy, and toads not so much, which helps identify frogs/toads correctly.

Has anyone here kept a bullfrog? Do they need a lot of water or mostly land or what? Or a lot of land and just a water bowl? If I did, it would only be one since they are cannibalistic. But I probably won't, because I already have a 10 gallon tank full of Xenopus frogs (which while invasive, are kinda fun to watch and really easy to raise) and I read bullfrogs need 15 gallons minimum (but be on the small side) and 35-50 gallons recommended. That is definitely outside of both my budget and space I have for containers and aquariums. The other issue, I dunno if even picking them up is a great thing. I picked up two "toads" and actually got lucky I didn't get bit or kicked as bullfrogs supposedly very commonly carry salmonella bacteria. That be a quick trip to the hospital. I did see two bullfrog tadpoles, but I didn't keep them.

I did see a massive sized bullfrog (pretty sure that is what it was, not sure what else is massive as far as frogs/toads go) down in the water area. The size of a dinner plate, literally. That huge! It was the width of my 10 gallon tank lol. It would barely be able to turn around in it. Not much land (very little) that it can get to, as there are concrete walls all around it (its one of those concrete river beds in the city, and there are "ponds" I guess made for aquatic life, not sure what else they'd be for), I notice it sits on the ledge to I guess sun itself, but then when disturbed swims under water. The water is pretty deep (when full it goes over my head, and I'm 6 feet 1 inch tall), otherwise it lowers over time where I can walk around, but I guess they are good swimmers.

#2 Offline Superant33 - Posted May 12 2017 - 2:16 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Bullfrogs are voracious predators and will eat almost anything that will fit in their mouth. I fed them night crawlers, feeder goldfish, crayfish, and a bunch of other stuff. They always had access to water. My last bullfrog was a juvenile that I raised from a tadpole. It made the mistake of jumping from my hand to the fish tank that housed my large mouth bass. RIP. They are messy animals. I believe they are invasive to your area.

#3 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 12 2017 - 2:26 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Bullfrogs are voracious predators and will eat almost anything that will fit in their mouth. I fed them night crawlers, feeder goldfish, crayfish, and a bunch of other stuff. They always had access to water. My last bullfrog was a juvenile that I raised from a tadpole. It made the mistake of jumping from my hand to the fish tank that housed my large mouth bass. RIP. They are messy animals. I believe they are invasive to your area.

Yeah, I thought bullfrogs were native because there are some called "American Bullfrog" as their common name. But in fact that is sort of wrong because they aren't native (at least to California, maybe they are in other states or something.).

There seems to be getting a lot of invasive aquatic things that have arrived in the past 2 years (to my local area, I've seen bullfrogs elsewhere). 2 years ago, I did NOT see so many bullfrogs here, nor hear so many. On top of that, Xenopus are really invasive too and they are all over this year (2 years ago I didn't see any at all, last year I saw some and this year tons). I guess two invasive aquatic species arrived and have spread at about the same time.

Edited by Vendayn, May 12 2017 - 2:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users