• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Greg's (Old) Acromyrmex versicolor Journal (Discontinued)

leafcutter ant leafcutter acromyrmex acromyrmex versicolor journal

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#141 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 6 2015 - 7:16 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I want to try when they get larger workers, because these are all minor workers and are really tiny.

#142 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 5 2015 - 10:23 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update: 3/5/2015

I have a pupa!!! And another one is right on the way, with even more following! :D

#143 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 21 2015 - 3:52 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Disaster Update: 3/21/15

The colony's fungus died like one of Drew's colonies. 

The symptoms were the same, all the fungus was brown, with the ants far away from it, and all the brood taken off the fungus. Luckily I caught it in its early stage, and the queen got off the fungus as well, unlike Drew's did. The colony is okay, now they just do not have fungus. I bought some more fungus and one of Drew's fungus farmer prototype formicariums from Drew, so these guys will be back in action soon. Also, one of the pupae eclosed, so now they have six workers.

• Chromerust likes this

#144 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 4 2015 - 11:54 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well, after all six of the workers died from what looked like poisoning, (it was probably from being in contact with the bad fungus) the queen laid a few eggs on some new fungus, fed it, and was doing really good. Then today I found her dead. :( I am done with this species for now. From now until they fly I will be preparing and will not get it wrong this year...

#145 Offline Chromerust - Posted April 4 2015 - 1:50 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
That's a real bummer you've had such bad luck with them. Don't worry it will be easy to get more this year now that we know exactly when and where.

#146 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 4 2015 - 2:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
That's horrible. Sorry about that man. Between me, Chromerust, and ArtimusClyde, I'm pretty sure there should be fungus left, so if there is, you will surely have a bunch of these colonies this summer. As you know, it's simple to find the queens. I'll give you one big chunk of fungus that will easily be enough to get 10 colonies going. As those gardens start to grow, you can get even more started. Luckily these queens can sit in test tubes not eating for a half a year without dying.

#147 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 4 2015 - 3:06 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That's horrible. Sorry about that man. Between me, Chromerust, and ArtimusClyde, I'm pretty sure there should be fungus left, so if there is, you will surely have a bunch of these colonies this summer. As you know, it's simple to find the queens. I'll give you one big chunk of fungus that will easily be enough to get 10 colonies going. As those gardens start to grow, you can get even more started. Luckily these queens can sit in test tubes not eating for a half a year without dying.

I plan on catching the queens before they expel their fungal pellets this year, but thanks for the assurance. By the way, she ended up dying quite like this one did:

Even though her fungus which she laid her last eggs in before she died is not sick (yet, and i will keep it to see if it does get sick) I have a feeling the bacteria or whatever it must have been infected her.

#148 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 10 2015 - 10:37 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

A new version of this journal is coming soon! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leafcutter ant, leafcutter, acromyrmex, acromyrmex versicolor, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users