• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Best Pets for the Stressed Out Antkeeper

pets termites crickets wasps fish hermit crabs roaches? etc

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted May 7 2017 - 12:17 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Hi!
Are you tired of being sprayed by formic acid and getting bitten by ten Camponotus majors at the same time? Well, you're in luck, because I've made a list of low maintenance pets that can be used for an hour or two of ant-free relaxation time. I hope this helps!

(1=Very Good and 8=Not the best but still good)

1.Termites [Eusocial]  (Like cuddly ants but not too cuddly. Cute and easy to feed)

2.Tropical Roaches [Social] (Not the house roach. The best roaches include the Hissing Cockroach, the Dubia Roach, the Green Banana Roach, the                        Simandoa Cave Roach, etc)

3.Crickets [Partially Social] (Cute, but relatively loud. If not well fed, crickets will cannibalize)

4.Terrestrial Hermit Crabs [Partially Social] (Require very special set ups with deep substrate. Easy to feed)

5.Specific Flies [Social] (Some flies are quite interesting to keep. For example, Vinegar Flies and Hawaiian Picture Winged Flies are very entertaining. The Picture Winged Flies can be allowed to roam free in large terrariums. Since Picture Winged Flies are relatively unobtainable to those who do not live in the Hawaiian Islands, other flies should be kept)

6.Earwigs [Partially Social-Social] (Earwigs care for their young and are entertaining and cute. They do not climb in ears)

7.Goldfish [Partially Social] (Goldfish are entertaining pets. They should be kept in well oxygenated and filtered aquariums with a companion or two)

8.Paper Wasps [Eusocial] (Paper Wasps are quite intelligent and are fun to keep. The queens found their own colonies {Unlike honeybees} and build their nests out of mud and tree bark. The full colony can be placed in a terrarium. The queens are actually quite tamable.) {The reason that Paper Wasps aren't ranked higher is due to the fact that they sting}

Edited by Hawaiiant, May 7 2017 - 12:26 PM.

• dermy, ctantkeeper and Martialis like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted May 7 2017 - 12:27 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

I accidentally posted the list before it was finished. Sorry about that. (It is finished now)

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline Barristan - Posted May 7 2017 - 12:27 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

You could get a leech. He'll feed on your own body fluid how awesome is that?

Leech: "Blood of my blood Khaleesi"

Edited by Barristan, May 7 2017 - 12:29 PM.

• ctantkeeper, Martialis, T.C. and 1 other like this

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 7 2017 - 3:38 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I would say mantids are best
  • T.C. likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 7 2017 - 5:44 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Sounds like a candidate for a pet rock.

• dermy and T.C. like this

#6 Offline BMM - Posted May 7 2017 - 6:06 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I started a pill bug colony with the intention of using them as potential feeder insects... or feeder crustaceans technically. Anyway, now I just see them as pets. Their behavior and appearance kind of remind me of hamsters.

• Martialis likes this

#7 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted May 7 2017 - 6:20 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I bet various species of jumping spider as well as mantidflies would make interesting pets if given proper growing conditions. Slime mold is also pretty cool, but is only a slight step up from a pet rock. 

#8 Offline SirAnticus - Posted May 7 2017 - 6:24 PM

SirAnticus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSoCal

New World Tarantulas are cool and calm for the most part.

#9 Offline FSTP - Posted May 8 2017 - 7:03 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I say termites, they don't do much and all that mine require from me is alittle bt of water now and again....

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted May 8 2017 - 7:40 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Are you trying to hold your ant colony? ..... I'd be pretty stressed out too!
  • Connectimyrmex likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#11 Offline dermy - Posted May 8 2017 - 10:42 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

8.Paper Wasps [Eusocial] (Paper Wasps are quite intelligent and are fun to keep. The queens found their own colonies {Unlike honeybees} and build their nests out of mud and tree bark. The full colony can be placed in a terrarium. The queens are actually quite tamable.) {The reason that Paper Wasps aren't ranked higher is due to the fact that they sting}

Never heard of them using mud, just wood and other plant materials. In Captivity they will use cardboard and paper. Some people have even got nests to be made with coloured Paper.

Edited by dermy, May 8 2017 - 10:45 AM.

• Connectimyrmex likes this

#12 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 8 2017 - 4:55 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Stick insects are probably the easiest thing to keep that I've personally had. I don't have any now, but there are tons of indian stick insects in san diego where I used to live. The cool thing about them is they reproduce without needing a male, which actually kinda makes them invasive...but they keep reproducing and self-fertilize. Not all species do that, but a lot do among stick insects. Stick insects are really docile too, and make good "holding" pets. They are messy though and require cleaning once a week to two weeks. And cleaning is hard because their eggs look like their poop almost, so have to sort them out.

Frogs and toads are really easy too, just have to find or get fresh food every 1-2 days and clean out their cage/make sure they are hydrated. Pretty easy. I've found the invasive Xenopus frog to probably be the easiest frog I ever had. They eat dried insects and brine shrimp, doesn't get any easier than that. Others need fresh food. I wouldn't recommend keeping Xenopus though (and especially not releasing them), they are really invasive and bad for the ecosystem. 

Fish are easy too (but this depends on the type), especially mosquito fish...those are probably the easiest fish I ever kept lol. They are invasive in a lot of parts of the world, but no wonder as they do good in almost any freshwater environment.

Edited by Vendayn, May 8 2017 - 4:56 PM.

#13 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted May 8 2017 - 9:02 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Never heard of them using mud, just wood and other plant materials. In Captivity they will use cardboard and paper. Some people have even got nests to be made with coloured Paper.

They use mud rarely.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#14 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted May 24 2017 - 6:17 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

More good pets:

Mantids: Very popular pets that are easy to breed. Downside is that they are mostly carnivore omnivores (like paper wasps, ants, etc) and starve easily. They will eat crickets, small roaches, and other bugs. You can feed them honey as a treat.

Freshwater leech: Detritivorous leeches can be fun pets and can be kept in a small aquarium as a special pet or as a social aquarium animal with small fish. They will eat fish food and detritus.

Don't keep blood sucking leeches!

Dubia Roach: I know I mentioned tropical roaches already, but these guys are my favorites. They are pretty cute (big eyes and chubby bodies!) and they don't spread disease. They also can't climb glass and fly very well. They also can be bred as feeders, but I'd rather use a different species of roach. They will eat fruit, cricket supplement gel, small amounts of dog food, veggies, and more.

Roly Polies and Sowbugs: These guys are a type of terrestrial isopod. They are common and easy to breed. They will eat detritus, veggies, and fruit. 

Note: They get flipped over easily, so add many twigs for them to grab

Stick Insects: These guys are awesome pets for those that have the correct host plants. Nymphs  and adults can be kept directly on the host plant, but hatch eggs in a smaller container.

Adding more soon!

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#15 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted May 24 2017 - 6:59 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Connecticut is home to Narceus americanus, the largest millipede species in all of North America!!! It grows to be 4 inches to 4 and a half inches in length and is extraordinarily docile and can be kept alive on foliage and rotting plant matter. I was able to keep one alive for 4-5 months on nothing but iceberg lettuce. They are pretty awesome :).

Edited by ctantkeeper, May 24 2017 - 6:59 PM.

#16 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 2 2017 - 11:12 AM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

You could get a leech. He'll feed on your own body fluid how awesome is that?

Leech: "Blood of my blood Khaleesi"

What is she doing in her other video  :o  :o  :o, she speaks Bulgarian and is wearing a blue outfit.

Edited by lucas3431, August 2 2017 - 11:30 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pets, termites, crickets, wasps, fish, hermit crabs, roaches?, etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users