• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Baby Snapping Turtle Feeding/Caring

turtle

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Reevak - Posted May 3 2017 - 4:55 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

So I have a baby snapping turtle and I was wondering how much I should feed it a day. It is only a few inches long. If anyone has any experience with owning common snapping turtles then I would appreciate any advice you can give me. Also, whether the little thing is male or female is still unknown, but I believe it is made due to the length of its tail. 

Here is a video of the little snapper (I am holding it in the thumbnail for size comparison)

Finally, I wanted to mention that it is still unnamed so leave a suggestion (I'm pretty picky though).

• ctantkeeper and Martialis like this

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 3 2017 - 5:56 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

He's so cute! I think you should go with "Spike".

#3 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 3 2017 - 6:58 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

They are pretty interesting, but can get big, very big and aggressive.  Their jaws are very sharp, and can do serious damage to fingers and such (large ones can take fingers off.)  Their necks are also very long, so can reach just about every spot on their shell backs (big ones you often have to use their tails to move them.)    Not sure they make the great pets for long term. 

Edited by noebl1, May 4 2017 - 5:56 AM.

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted May 3 2017 - 7:11 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Haha, I don't recmoment keeping it, at least not long term. I pulled huge ones out of our ponds because they were eating all the baby ducks. I was using a rake though, they are nothing to mess with once they turn into big daddy turtles.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline Reevak - Posted May 3 2017 - 8:56 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I know how dangerous they can be when they get bigger, and I have no intention of keeping it (especially because I don't want my cats to get hurt or worse). It is supposed to snow in a few days and I was worried that it would die so I was going to release it afterward. I just don't want to under- or over-feed it.

#6 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted May 3 2017 - 11:02 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I don't think overfeeding it will be a problem. I had one for a summer and it was quite content to eat itself silly once every day or two. And, as you probably saw, they really are quite docile for the first couple years.

Information is... sort of conflicted/limited, but if you plan on keeping him for more than a week or so, try to find a way to provide him a basking area. There's at least anecdotal evidence to suggest they need to bask, and mine sure loved to crawl up on his rock to soak up the mid morning sun. Maybe that was more for thermoregulation, being spring and all, but the opportunity was still clearly seized. Providing a basking area without frying the little bugger can be tricky, but vitamin deficiencies are a big deal for any animal. This goes double for hatchlings. I wouldn't want to chance it.

God knows if I did a good job or not caring for it, but it did easily double in size and appeared healthy when I let him go, so hopefully I'm not giving tainted advice.

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 4 2017 - 2:28 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Tail lifting/carrying snappers is not recommended as it can cause serious spinal injuries to the turtle.

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted May 4 2017 - 4:39 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
I'd call him Chompy.

Also these are cute until they reach a size where they can chomp off half your foot with a single bite.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#9 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 4 2017 - 5:58 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Tail lifting/carrying snappers is not recommended as it can cause serious spinal injuries to the turtle.

Thank you for the correction on that, definitely a local wives tail that's terribly wrong.

#10 Offline Cindy - Posted May 4 2017 - 8:32 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA
I have a red-eared slider and I feed a combination of feeder fish and dried shrimp, both from the pet store. I'll also give it some fruit and leafy greens weekly. It has done pretty well on this diet for the last 19 years

#11 Offline Reevak - Posted May 4 2017 - 12:27 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I have a red-eared slider and I feed a combination of feeder fish and dried shrimp, both from the pet store. I'll also give it some fruit and leafy greens weekly. It has done pretty well on this diet for the last 19 years

How big is your red-eared slider?

#12 Offline Cindy - Posted May 4 2017 - 12:59 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

How big is your red-eared slider?

6.5 inches in length. He hasn't grown much since his 10th birthday and I recently cared enough to find out what gender he is. Long tail and long nails = Male

#13 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted May 6 2017 - 2:15 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Name= Pac Man

YJK

#14 Offline Leo - Posted May 6 2017 - 6:13 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

well if you handle it from a young age frequently and do not harm it, when it is large it can be pretty tame

#15 Offline klawfran3 - Posted May 6 2017 - 8:49 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Name it Nibbles

• Martialis likes this

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: turtle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users