• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Alza's Linepithema Humile ( Argentine Legion Ants )

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 28 2014 - 6:24 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You'll have a ton of eggs after they're taken from captivity, as their natural diet is extremely diverse and they're producing the eggs off their reserves.  The sugar solution is just keeping them on life support—they can't continue to output eggs at such a high rate without protein.  

As a nomadic species, a constantly warm habitat temperature and high RH are probably some of the more crucial elements to keeping them in captivity.

They would attack and carry small Drosophila back to the nest, but eventually grew tired of them.  Small crickets were hit or miss.  They seemed to have little interest in mealworms or waxworms.

I did have constant success when feeding Formula products in early development, but eventually released the colony on account of being inordinately busy.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#22 Offline Alza - Posted September 28 2014 - 7:18 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Formula products ?

#23 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 28 2014 - 9:33 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Links in signature

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#24 Offline Alza - Posted September 28 2014 - 10:34 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

The population has doubled, and i decided to give them chicken, but it doesent seem like they are interested 

#25 Offline Alza - Posted September 28 2014 - 9:06 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

The chicken is now gone... and the queens for some reason seem more active and are currently running in circles 

#26 Offline Crystals - Posted September 29 2014 - 6:07 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I have heard many people talking of how many argentine ants are in their garbage can.

You could try saving tiny pieces of your meals and snacks and seeing if they like them.  Make a list of "likes" and "does not like" for future reference.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#27 Offline Alza - Posted September 29 2014 - 5:25 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

in an attempt to move the argentine ants out of the test tube they escaped. Well atleast 6 of them did. there's atleast 20 left

Edited by Alza, September 29 2014 - 5:25 PM.

#28 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 29 2014 - 5:28 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Six workers?

#29 Offline Alza - Posted September 29 2014 - 5:29 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

yea. i attempted to move them into the omni nest 

#30 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 29 2014 - 5:33 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Workers do not really matter, they will have them back in a week or two.

#31 Offline dermy - Posted September 29 2014 - 6:19 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Yeah but if they are queens you'd be in trouble.

#32 Offline Alza - Posted October 9 2014 - 6:21 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Alright Update - i wake up to find the colony scrambling around. I decided i would feed them a fruit fly, and they ate it! i honestly didn't expect it to happen but, expect the unexpected!

#33 Offline Alza - Posted October 11 2014 - 11:22 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

They are still doing good, with an even larger egg pile then before. I'm impressed :)

• Alza likes this

#34 Offline Alza - Posted November 1 2014 - 8:25 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Update over time, they completely went into a time of dying and lost a queen. they were having a mass die off for an unknown reason! but they started eating more  sources of protein as the die off happened, and were eventually able to get it together again. there are now two queens and eight workers. 

#35 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 1 2014 - 10:26 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Likely far too few ants to re-establish this difficult-to-keep species in captivity, but good luck anyways.

#36 Offline Alza - Posted November 1 2014 - 10:40 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I agree, and i thank you for your opinion. Then comes a time when i should get your opinion once more, should i add boost workers, or see if they can rebuild their empire alone ?

#37 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 1 2014 - 10:52 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Add boost workers.

#38 Offline Alza - Posted November 1 2014 - 10:54 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

very well.

#39 Offline Alza - Posted December 14 2014 - 12:13 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

This colony has no future, as they are now left with just a queen, and two fruit flies from yesterday, when the last worker was still alive. :( the boost failed.

#40 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 14 2014 - 12:37 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Got any pictures? They usually invade my house every summer I'm too busy killing them to try keeping any alive in a nest.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users