• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Alza's Pogonomyrmex Californicus (Bi-Color)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alza - Posted September 25 2014 - 6:26 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I got a pogonomyrmex californicus queen from drew, and she had 4 workers at the time. I've named her Eve and she now has 7 workers :D! but now i have a bit of a problem... they're larvae turned into pupae and all of a sudden they ate them! there are two new eggs but until they become larva what should i feed them ? I've been feeding them crickets and honey water but I'm not sure if that will do the job

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 25 2014 - 7:03 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Crickets are a good call, from my experience, Pogonomyrmex do not care for such a sweet sugar source as honey. Try to mix up some sugar water with the following ratios: one unit of sugar for every ten units of water. That is a LOT less sweet, and my Pogonomyrmex go crazy for it. If they do not take that, try one unit of sugar for twenty units of water.

#3 Offline Alza - Posted September 25 2014 - 8:11 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

for some reason, Eve is always going out of her way to tackle a worker or two. they don't fight to the death, but i know when the workers get bigger she's not going to want to do that 

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted September 26 2014 - 7:40 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I also recently got a colony from drew and I've placed their test tube in a temporary tupperware outworld for now until I receive their permanent home. I will have to try the diluted sugar water. I've tried both honey and concentrated sugar water on a piece of tinfoil and they almost immediately cover it with dirt, as if to bury it (do you think they're smart enough to know it may attract Argentine ants??).

They've taken bird seed mix (with some difficulty) but I haven't witnessed them consuming it. They also seemed to love deshelled crushed sunflower seeds. They didn't touch nyger seeds but they can't seem to get enough crushed freeze-dried bloodworms. Is there such thing as overfeeding them? I put in a bit of bloodworms and it's gone almost immediately.

I got a flightless fruit fly culture I'm going to try. It's hard to see how the brood is doing since the queen has screened nearly her entire chamber with bits of dirt. I also found some colonies along my street (one mid-battle with Argentines) so hopefully I can get some queens next spring.

Edited by Foogoo, September 26 2014 - 7:41 AM.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 26 2014 - 10:12 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They cover sticky liquids with dirt I think to keep from getting stuck in it. Some believe they cover it to hide it from other ants. Sometimes they mix dirt with liquids so they're able to easily carry them back to their nest.

Watch out with bird seed, while a lot of it is probably too large for them, I hear it can also be bad for them. I have given mine some in the past, but they rarely seem interested. In my experience, they are most interested in grass seed, sunflower seeds, and poppy seeds.

They usually love most any insects you give them. While the nanitics seem to be pretty picky, from what I've seen, the more there are, and the older they get, the more normal their eating habits start to become. Pretty soon you will drop any insect in there with it's juicy insides exposed, and they will be all over it.

As far as overfeeding, I don't think that is an issue. Ants know exactly how much they need to eat. They can however, eat too much protein relative to the amount of sugar, but I think you would have to be exclusively feeding them something made with very high levels of protein in order to create that situation.

#6 Offline Alza - Posted September 26 2014 - 3:52 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

They don't seem to be laying eggs, and are rejecting all liquids but seem to like the crickets I'm giving them

#7 Offline Anhzor - Posted September 26 2014 - 4:09 PM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

don't feed them more then what they need when it comes to insect prey.

#8 Offline Alza - Posted September 26 2014 - 5:58 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I'm really starting to fear for this colony, the two eggs they had before disappeared 

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted September 26 2014 - 6:52 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

It can take ants a while to settle down in a new environment.  They go through spells of laying eggs.  As long as the queen has workers and they are accepting something, I wouldn't worry.  Give them time, ants never rush.

I know an airplane attendant, she is gone 2 weeks at a time - the only pet she can keep is ants because they could go without food or sugar for that long on a regular basis.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#10 Offline Alza - Posted September 26 2014 - 7:19 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I'm still not sure if i need to buy another californicus colony from drew to start them back up with atleast one or two larvae. i was planning to have a second anyway 

#11 Offline Crystals - Posted September 27 2014 - 7:38 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

If you take and post pictures about once every month or so, it forms a really neat history of your colony.

Honest, when you look back 4 months, you will think, "wow, they have sure grown - I forgot how small that colony was back then".

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#12 Offline Alza - Posted September 27 2014 - 9:36 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I'm getting a camera soon

#13 Offline Alza - Posted September 27 2014 - 11:48 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

trying to balance out the water and sugar so they will drink it. Also they seem to be loving the crickets. Also to update this colony nothing has changed except the workers are getting the eggs stuck in their beard constantly 

#14 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 27 2014 - 12:02 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Pogonomyrmex and their beard... :D They are so funny looking with that beard, especially P.subnitidus looks like they have really large ones. As for sugar water, have you tried what I told you?

Edited by Gregory2455, October 21 2014 - 5:44 PM.

#15 Offline Alza - Posted September 27 2014 - 12:08 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I have just made the mixture and am testing it out right now 

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 27 2014 - 12:11 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Usually harvester ants like Pogonomyrmex find all the sugar they need inside a cricket...

#17 Offline Alza - Posted September 27 2014 - 12:15 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

the crickets I've been giving them are frozen so they don't have the liquid juices 

#18 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 27 2014 - 12:39 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They melt. :|

#19 Offline Alza - Posted September 27 2014 - 1:11 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

they are currently eating a cricket, and i tried the mix but they declined it! they put seeds over it

#20 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 27 2014 - 1:19 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Then do not give them a sugar source for a little bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users