• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Montenegro Podgorica 30/4 2017

Best Answer Batspiderfish , April 30 2017 - 8:45 AM

Temnothorax nigriceps, if I had to guess. Did you capture any workers with the queen? or is she by herself? Queens from established colonies will perish without their workers.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NikolaBale - Posted April 30 2017 - 6:12 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I found this nest at about 1400m above sea level
Queen size : 3.5-4 mm
Worker:3 mm (roughly)
Found the nest between 2 big rocks small colony size about 100-150 workers
The queen is a dark color the workers have a black head red thorax and gold/brown abdomen (very shiny)

PS: my queen didn't take the capture too well she is currently on the moisture gradient in a little dent on it and is very static almost 0 movement but when i poked her she started to move she moved like a cm and then after that she returned to the exact same place and is still there tho i didn't poke her anymore I'm worried because she is very close to the moisture so I'm worried she may have drowned.

http://imgur.com/a/KdzyYi got pictures of the nest queen and workers .

Thank you for the help !

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted April 30 2017 - 6:39 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

You shouldn't have collected that colony; 100 workers is not small.

• Martialis likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline Antony - Posted April 30 2017 - 7:14 AM

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Great job dude. Now here come new the critics to judge you.
  • Barristan likes this

Life is amazing, it is what it should be.

#4 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted April 30 2017 - 7:37 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Stop saying that, Kevin. Anyone can collect a colony if they want. Just because you might not be able to take care of, or don't want one, doesn't mean that others have to do the same.

I know that it can be bad if you don't collect the whole colony, but still, I think 100-150 workers is alright. As for stress, I hope they do the right thing and don't disturb the ants too much.

I found this nest at about 1400m above sea level
Queen size : 3.5-4 mm
Worker:3 mm (roughly)
Found the nest between 2 big rocks small colony size about 100-150 workers
The queen is a dark color the workers have a black head red thorax and gold/brown abdomen (very shiny)

PS: my queen didn't take the capture too well she is currently on the moisture gradient in a little dent on it and is very static almost 0 movement but when i poked her she started to move she moved like a cm and then after that she returned to the exact same place and is still there tho i didn't poke her anymore I'm worried because she is very close to the moisture so I'm worried she may have drowned.

http://imgur.com/a/KdzyYi got pictures of the nest queen and workers .

Thank you for the help !

Don't check on them much, or else the stress might kill them.

As for identification, it looks like a species of  Monomorrium.

Also, it looks like that colony will be getting alates pretty soon.

Edited by AnthonyP163, April 30 2017 - 7:39 AM.

• Barristan and T.C. like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#5 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 30 2017 - 7:47 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Looks a little bit like Dolichoderus quadripunctatus to me, although I may very well be mistaken. I don't think there are very many problems associated with collecting an entire colony, so long as you're willing to properly care of it, you should be fine. Not sure exactly what it is, but it is definitely a very cool looking species.

Note: If it is, in fact, a Monomorium species, it could be M. subopacum

Edited by VoidElecent, April 30 2017 - 7:55 AM.

#6 Offline Martialis - Posted April 30 2017 - 8:03 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

It's ecologically irresponsible to collect mature, native colonies.

Can we PLEASE stop fighting now?

• Nathant2131 likes this
Spoiler

#7 Offline Martialis - Posted April 30 2017 - 8:05 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

A better picture of the queen would help; Do you see two or one petiole?

ant_anatomy.jpg

Spoiler

#8 Offline NikolaBale - Posted April 30 2017 - 8:31 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

A better picture of the queen would help; Do you see two or one petiole?

ant_anatomy.jpg

they don't have a stinger so no its not it and yes there is 2 petiole

#9 Offline NikolaBale - Posted April 30 2017 - 8:34 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Looks a little bit like Dolichoderus quadripunctatus to me, although I may very well be mistaken. I don't think there are very many problems associated with collecting an entire colony, so long as you're willing to properly care of it, you should be fine. Not sure exactly what it is, but it is definitely a very cool looking species.

Note: If it is, in fact, a Monomorium species, it could be M. subopacum.

i agree. I don't know what's whit this queen tho she is lifeless but still alive...?

#10 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 30 2017 - 8:45 AM   Best Answer

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Temnothorax nigriceps, if I had to guess. Did you capture any workers with the queen? or is she by herself? Queens from established colonies will perish without their workers.

• Martialis and T.C. like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#11 Offline Martialis - Posted April 30 2017 - 8:50 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

He said he captured the entire colony.

Spoiler

#12 Offline Kevin - Posted April 30 2017 - 9:05 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Stop saying that, Kevin. Anyone can collect a colony if they want. Just because you might not be able to take care of, or don't want one, doesn't mean that others have to do the same.

I know that it can be bad if you don't collect the whole colony, but still, I think 100-150 workers is alright. As for stress, I hope they do the right thing and don't disturb the ants too much. 

The reason I say this is because colonies don't always take moving into different environments forcefully very well. 100 workers are already settled in and if you dig them up and put them in a plastic formicarium they aren't guaranteed to. I can personally take care of a 100 worker colony, it's just not a good idea to harvest colonies from the wild for their health. I personally think people should just catch queens and raise the colony themselves, but you do what you desire.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#13 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 30 2017 - 9:06 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

He said he captured the entire colony.

I heard that there were that many workers in the colony, but that the queen is being prodded (and imaged alone) doesn't make it sound like she is with any workers.

Wild colonies tend to have trouble adapting to captivity. You see lots of new hobbyists post pictures of their freshly-caught pets, then the journals silently end one day.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 30 2017 - 9:08 AM.

• Martialis and Nathant2131 like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#14 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 30 2017 - 1:13 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Temnothorax nigriceps, if I had to guess. 

Yeah, probably but what about Leptothorax? 

#15 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted May 1 2017 - 12:20 PM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Temnothorax nigriceps, if I had to guess. 

Yeah, probably but what about Leptothorax? 

not possible

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users