• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* - - - - 12 votes

Let's Be Real Honest to Ourselves

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 30 2017 - 4:39 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

No offense but this topic is BS. You speak as if we antkeepers torture our ants, rape them all day, and cuttheir limbs off one by one. We as antkeepers try our damn best to keep our ants safe and in relative harmony. Yes we make mistakes, but would they be happier in the outside world getting eaten by ant eaters, ant lions, stepped on by humans, and by birds? Like why the &*%# did you feel the need to make this topic...

Take note, swaring is against the rules.

And listen people, let's all be friends. :D All this fighting and arguing has gotten rather ridiculous.

I said 'damn'. Also, so many people are cursing. Why point at me?

YJK

#42 Offline T.C. - Posted April 30 2017 - 4:48 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
I really don't feel like reading through all this actually, and I wasn't just "pointing"at you. No one should be cursing and That "word" is indeed considered profane and against the rules. I don't care either way though, I'm not a moderator and actually have no business telling anyone here what they can or can't say.

However it is rather disappointing to see all this nonsense occurring as this community is slowly but surely going down the drain. I wathched, this community grow, and can tell you the quality of content has gone down, especially in the past few months.
  • Nathant2131 likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#43 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 30 2017 - 5:20 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Removed by author

Edited by klawfran3, April 30 2017 - 7:38 PM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#44 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 30 2017 - 5:22 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I really don't feel like reading through all this actually, and I wasn't just "pointing"at you. No one should be cursing and That "word" is indeed considered profane and against the rules. I don't care either way though, I'm not a moderator and actually have no business telling anyone here what they can or can't say.

However it is rather disappointing to see all this nonsense occurring as this community is slowly but surely going down the drain. I wathched, this community grow, and can tell you the quality of content has gone down, especially in the past few months.

Yep. I wonder why it started happening all of the sudden. There's no more respect and a bunch of kids are running around being rude and posting garbage. It's why Drew had to make the sandbox sadly. I hope he locks this thread. There's no point to it and it seems it's only purpose is to be inflammatory.

Edited by klawfran3, April 30 2017 - 5:23 PM.

• T.C. likes this

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#45 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 30 2017 - 5:26 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Yep. I wonder why it started happening all of the sudden. There's no more respect and a bunch of kids are running around being rude and posting garbage. It's why Drew had to make the sandbox sadly. I hope he locks this thread. There's no point to it and it seems it's only purpose is to be inflammatory.

It was a bit after AntsCanada blew up. I reckon you came at that stage as well. Lots of good members came as well as trash ones.

Edited by Alabama Anter, April 30 2017 - 5:26 PM.

YJK

#46 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 30 2017 - 5:42 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

It was a bit after AntsCanada blew up. I reckon you came at that stage as well. Lots of good members came as well as trash ones.

I've been here for about two years now, longer than you have.

Edited by klawfran3, April 30 2017 - 5:44 PM.

#47 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 30 2017 - 5:45 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

I've been here for about two years now, I don't know when it "blew up" but I'm sure I was here before then.

Oh... I thought you joined quite recently. Probably just my brain. It was like when the 'Fire Nation' got like millions of views.

YJK

#48 Offline T.C. - Posted April 30 2017 - 6:35 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
I've been around since last september. However I viewed the forum as a guest for years, since the start actually. Seen this place in Drews signature on yuku, where I don't know If I had an account or not? Either way I never did any posting with it.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#49 Offline Tyrael - Posted April 30 2017 - 7:01 PM

Tyrael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Oh... I thought you joined quite recently. Probably just my brain. It was like when the 'Fire Nation' got like millions of views.

Which one? Their highest viewed (13.7 million) fire ants video was posted September 11 2016 and you joined October 4 2016. 

But anyway, most of this topic has been civil. Tagassi, myself and most others were engaging each other in a friendly discussion about our differing ethical views. I would argue that such discussions are beneficial to the community because it encourages engagement and consideration of new information. However, hostile actions like cursing at each other, personal attacks and arguing over petty issues such as who has been here the longest is detrimental to the community. It creates a toxic and divisive atmosphere. Creating an in-group mentality based on account age or really any other equally irrelevant metric will surely degrade our community. 

Edited by Tyrael, April 30 2017 - 7:02 PM.

• klawfran3, AndersT, Martialis and 2 others like this

#50 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 30 2017 - 7:14 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Every ant kept in captivity will die in captivity, and its genes will not be passed down to make new generations of wild ants. Of course, this is not exclusive to ants, but to all living things, and is true with probably over 99% of reptiles, amphibians, aquarium fish, birds, and other undomesticated animals kept by humans as pets.

Edited by drtrmiller, April 30 2017 - 7:17 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#51 Offline Jelly - Posted May 1 2017 - 7:47 AM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Every ant kept in captivity will die in captivity, and its genes will not be passed down to make new generations of wild ants. Of course, this is not exclusive to ants, but to all living things, and is true with probably over 99% of reptiles, amphibians, aquarium fish, birds, and other undomesticated animals kept by humans as pets.

Looks like someones gonna have to figure out a way to breed ants?

Edit: In captivity, ofcourse

Edited by Jelly, May 1 2017 - 7:47 AM.

• Martialis likes this

#52 Offline Subverted - Posted May 1 2017 - 8:48 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Looks like someones gonna have to figure out a way to breed ants?

Edit: In captivity, ofcourse

Been done for Pogonomyrmex ...one species at least: http://www.formicult...s-in-captivity/

Looks like Retroman still collected males from the wild for his attempts though.
  • Jelly and lucas3431 like this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#53 Offline Jelly - Posted May 1 2017 - 2:22 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Been done for Pogonomyrmex ...one species at least: http://www.formicult...s-in-captivity/

Looks like Retroman still collected males from the wild for his attempts though.

I almost typed "@dspdrew heres looking to you" and sure enough.....

#54 Offline AntswerMe - Posted May 15 2017 - 7:15 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
What a crazy thread.

#55 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted July 23 2017 - 7:19 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I'm a living meme

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#56 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 2 2017 - 1:31 PM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

Zoos are bad, but it may only be some animals last hope of survival.

I think people who are responsible towards their pets may it be wild or tamed play a major part in the future. Don't forget it's educational purpose, to teach our children to respect nature.

My daughter seen my first captured Queen Ant today, she was actually amazed by it, she is 17 by the way.

What about people who discover new species? They bring them back to a lab, again to study. In the future we could bring them to Mars with us to help colonize. We will need animals in order to survive...you know how the story of the bee goes, right?

Edited by lucas3431, August 2 2017 - 1:38 PM.

#57 Offline AndersT - Posted August 2 2017 - 1:43 PM

AndersT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Which one? Their highest viewed (13.7 million) fire ants video was posted September 11 2016 and you joined October 4 2016. 

But anyway, most of this topic has been civil. Tagassi, myself and most others were engaging each other in a friendly discussion about our differing ethical views. I would argue that such discussions are beneficial to the community because it encourages engagement and consideration of new information. However, hostile actions like cursing at each other, personal attacks and arguing over petty issues such as who has been here the longest is detrimental to the community. It creates a toxic and divisive atmosphere. Creating an in-group mentality based on account age or really any other equally irrelevant metric will surely degrade our community. 

You hit the nail on the head there, Tyrael. 

• Martialis likes this

#58 Offline skocko76 - Posted August 26 2017 - 2:25 PM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Wouldn't it be funny if queens, at nuptial flights, actually tired to draw attention of an ant farmer, many finding none and having to make do with a hole in the ground? :D

I imagine a mother queen telling her baby alate:"One day, when you fly, you will find yourself a good ant farmer who'll provide. And you'll wish for nothing in the world"  :P

Ok, I admit, I've had a few.  :drinks:

Edited by skocko76, August 26 2017 - 2:30 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#59 Offline Bryce - Posted August 26 2017 - 7:58 PM

Bryce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az
Pointless conversation should be locked

#60 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted August 27 2017 - 7:52 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

My Camponotus queen set my bed on fire because she didn't want to be kept.

I'm joking, she's actually pretty happy rn

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi