• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cozmo's Camponotus sanctus journal.(Updated 5/10/17)

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Offline CozmoDog - Posted June 11 2017 - 3:41 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes

So I have an update with some terrible pictures, unfortunately I don't have anything better so I just use my phone to take the pictures. So the queens are doing very well all of them have larvae and I think that all 4 queens have atleast 1-2 large or medium sized larvae I think that either all 4 or atleast some of the queens will have pupae by the end of the coming week. I'm very pleased that they are doing well I'm hoping that not too long from now the queens will have their first set of workers. One question, the queens were fed small droplets of honey about a week ago,they enjoyed it, do you guys think I need to get them some protein aswell? I read somewhere that sugar ants can make some protein from sugars so maybe I should just wait untill their first nanitics arrive to feed them again ? 

Here are the pictures, my apologies for the quality.

IMG 2005 (1)
IMG 2004
IMG 2007
IMG 2008
IMG 2009

• Jonathan21700 likes this

#22 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted June 11 2017 - 1:41 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

I suggest you feed them right after they get their first workers.

#23 Offline CozmoDog - Posted June 12 2017 - 3:20 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
Yeah I was thinking the same thing but let the countdown start the queen with the most brood has her first pupa!!!!!!! Much sooner than I expected prob 25-28 days untill the worker ecloses.

#24 Offline CozmoDog - Posted June 20 2017 - 7:23 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes

So hello everyone here is a small update regarding the queens, 3 of the 4 queens seem to be doing good the last queen seem to be in some trouble. basicly when I fed the queens like 2 weeks ago the queen placed her eggs on the honey and so now the eggs have mold I think. my most succesfull queen has 6 pupae and a bunch more larvae/eggs another queen has 4-5 pupae and the third queen has a lot of larvae, also the queen with the molded eggs seem to have a larvae that is pupating and another larvae that is close to pupating I really hope she survives. here are some pictures 

IMG 2018
IMG 2019
IMG 2020
IMG 2021

you can see the queen with the bad eggs on the last picture.

#25 Offline CozmoDog - Posted June 22 2017 - 5:54 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
Small update a day later one of the queens(the one in the first pictures) has 8 pupae more larvae and eggs the second queens also has more than 6 pupae but I couldn't count them she was in the way,she also has more eggs and larvae, the third queen now has 2 pupae and a lot of larvae ready to spin their cocoons, the fourth and last queens with the moldy eggs has 2 pupae and has actually layed some more eggs. Everything seems to be going well we might have workers in 2 weeks.

#26 Offline CozmoDog - Posted June 26 2017 - 2:29 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
Here is another small update, unfortunately the queen that had one pupae and kept eating her other eggs died, I am now down to 3 queens all of which seem to be doing well 2 queens have 9 pupae and the third queen has 5-6 pupae, all of the queens seem to have more larvae and eggs. I'm expecting workers in 1-2 weeks time hopefully, it has been a very long 2 months this species is slow as heck..

#27 Offline CozmoDog - Posted June 30 2017 - 1:38 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes

Hello everyone I have an exciting update !! finally 2 of the 3 queens have their first workers the queen that has the most brood has 2 nanitics 9 pupae a bunch of eggs and a couple of larvae, I fed the 2 queens with the workers small drops of honey, both queens accepted the honey. here are some pictures.

IMG 2039
IMG 2040
IMG 2041
IMG 2042
IMG 2043

#28 Offline CozmoDog - Posted July 1 2017 - 5:15 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
Small update, all 3 queens have nanitics now queen 1 and 2 have 2 workers each and the third queen still has 1 worker.
  • Evanthomas89 likes this

#29 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted July 1 2017 - 9:08 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Congratulations! Mine are beginning to get workers as well. 

Check out my Youtube

#30 Offline CozmoDog - Posted July 1 2017 - 9:23 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
Yeah it's very exciting and it has been a long wait for mine, 52 days since they layed eggs and more than 2 months since I got them

Edited by CozmoDog, July 1 2017 - 9:24 AM.

• Evanthomas89 likes this

#31 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted July 1 2017 - 12:03 PM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

What temps are you keeping them at? I've gotten from eggs to nanitics in five weeks with temps ranging from 76-78 F

Edited by Evanthomas89, July 1 2017 - 12:03 PM.

Check out my Youtube

#32 Offline CozmoDog - Posted July 1 2017 - 12:08 PM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
Well I basicly keep them in room temps, and summer was a bit later than usual this year so yeah.

#33 Offline CozmoDog - Posted July 23 2017 - 2:10 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
Hello everyone it has been a while since I last updated this journal so here I am. All 3 of the colonies are doing well my biggest colony has 12 workers 9 pupae 4-5 larvae and about 10+ eggs, my second colony has 10 workers 6 pupae and more eggs and larvae, the third colony is a bit slower in terms of growth they have 6 workers no pupae but a lot of larvae and eggs, all 3 colonies have been recieving honey which they love and today I gave them a scarab which I had caught 3-4 days ago and kept in the freezer it's their first insect And they seemed to like it. I cut it in 2 pieces took out the intestines and gave the bigger belly to my bigger colony and the head piece to the second largest, unfortunately there wasn't any left for the third colony but the queen has a very large gaster of honey so I will probably catch a bug for them on tuesday. I couldn't get pictures today so expect some to come soon. Also one question how long do you guys think I should leave the insect in there ? You know before it starts to decay.

#34 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 25 2017 - 8:57 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Do you think of moving them to formicariums?

• CozmoDog likes this

#35 Offline CozmoDog - Posted July 26 2017 - 11:57 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
I don't want to move them yet I will wait until they have 20+ workers and even then I'll only move the two smaller colonies because they reside in smaller tubes. Last time I had this species I moved the queen when she had only 8 workers, that stopped production and they resumed the next summer.

#36 Offline CozmoDog - Posted July 26 2017 - 11:58 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
Also I just found out that this species absolutely love big black scarabs.

#37 Offline CozmoDog - Posted July 27 2017 - 3:55 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes

So here are the pictures. All three colonies seem to be doing good after eating some protein, The colony at the top which is the biggest is at 13 workers the second colony has 10 and then the third has 6-7 i think but the first colony has a lot of pupae which will bring their workforce up to 20+ when they eclose.

IMG 2062
IMG 2063
IMG 2064
IMG 2065

Edited by CozmoDog, July 27 2017 - 3:56 AM.

• VoidElecent likes this

#38 Offline CozmoDog - Posted July 29 2017 - 5:11 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
I just fed the colonies with a massive spider(it was huge found it at a park) I had it in the freezer for 2 days, I cut it in three pieces gave the abdomen to my biggest colony, the head to the smallest(their first protein) and I gave 3 of the legs to the other colony. From what I saw at first glance all 3 colonies started to drink/eat the juices so they probably like it.

#39 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 30 2017 - 2:03 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Good! It would be a good idea to give them a outworld I've found that ants do better when they have a space to forage. Also makes feeding them easier for you and cleaner for them. You can just place the test tube in a box whit a straw in the cotton so they feel secure or connect the test tube from the outside whit some tube. 

Edited by Jonathan21700, July 30 2017 - 2:05 PM.

#40 Offline CozmoDog - Posted August 1 2017 - 11:30 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
Yeah I was thinking of giving them outworlds, but to be honest I will build them 3 small nests for now, They will also have outworlds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users