• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is it ok to collect army ant colonies as pets?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 3 2018 - 6:52 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Oocera, cerapachys, and lioponera. Leptanilla has been kept too, not sure what the end result was.

#42 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 3 2018 - 7:03 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Sorry, leptanilla isn't a doryline.

#43 Offline Leo - Posted December 3 2018 - 8:42 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Can someone specify the definition of "army ants"? Some dorylinae don't seem to be much more difficult than, say, some amblyoponinae. At least three genuses have been kept successfully too. And are we including nomadic ponerinae like leptogenys?

Leptogenys are manageable, I've kept some. 

#44 Offline Canadian anter - Posted December 4 2018 - 7:25 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Because the issue here is slow creation of reproductives, I assume clonal army ants are perfectly fine.
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#45 Offline Kalidas - Posted December 4 2018 - 11:41 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
I think the biggest issues with Army ants are their migratory nature and the ludicrous size the colony gets up to. So you have a massive ant colony that your normal ant keeper can't feed and the constant need to move and change enviornments that is difficult to work with to say the least. I guess you could have multiple large aquariums each with different environments that you change out every other month or so but that's still difficult to deal with, costly, and I doubt it would keep the ants contained forever, sooner or later they will want to bust out and invade your house and or yard.

Edited by Kalidas, December 4 2018 - 11:42 AM.

• DaveJay likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users