• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Does anyone know how to sex Lomechusa beetles?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Salmon - Posted April 28 2017 - 12:45 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
I found a myrmecophilic rove beetle running across the ground today, and I thought about adding it to my Camponotus colony to add a bit of extra interest. (I'm fairly sure I've seen this same species in a Camponotus nest.) Problem is that their grubs feed on ant larvae, and I don't want it to turn out to be a female and lay eggs in the formicarium. Does anyone know if there's a way to determine the sex of these beetles without killing them?

• Subverted likes this

#2 Offline Subverted - Posted April 28 2017 - 1:30 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I think the specific information you need to determine this will likely be buried in a paper somewhere. I was pretty sure rove beetles could be sexed by looking at their last few abdominal segments and some quick google searching seems to suggest that is in fact the case.

Hopefully your species is mentioned somewhere in this journal article Revision of Myrmecophilous Genus Lomechusa (Coleoptera: Staphylinidae: Aleocharinae) by Peter Hlavac.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#3 Offline Salmon - Posted April 28 2017 - 1:36 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Well I just learned from that paper that this beetle isn't a Lomechusa, but actually a member of the very similar genus Xenodusa.

Similar to how Lomechusa beetles overwinter in Myrmica colonies and breed in Formica or Camponotus colonies, Xenodusa apparently overwinter in Camponotus colonies and breed in Formica colonies. Still wouldn't trust a female in my Camponotus colony.

Edited by Salmon, April 28 2017 - 1:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users