• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hawaiiant's Social Insect Journal

hawaiiant journal camponotus ochetellus pseudomyrmex coptotermes pheidole cryptotermes many bugs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted April 26 2017 - 9:28 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Hi!
I've started a new journal for my last remaining ants (My Hawaiian Ant Journal is now really out of date). This may eventually switch to Connecticut species because I'm moving soon. I hope you enjoy!

UPDATE: Wednesday, April 26, 2017

-Note: My parents made me get rid of nearly all of my insect pets due to the fact that we're moving to Connecticut soon. I had a few at school in my locker that are still alive and doing well. I'm going to release them in a month.

Pseudomyrmex Gracilis:

My Pseudomyrmex queen seems to be doing quite well. She's very active and accepts drops of sugary drinks and the occasional termite (I only feed single and unpaired termites... I love termites...). She had an egg but I think she popped it by accident when she tried to carry it.

Pheidole Megacephala:

I have two queens of this species. They are doing okay (I think). They have a large egg cluster with no larvae yet. It's been a while, so I'm wondering if I should give protein supplements to them.

Ochetellus Glaber:

I have two queens of this species with one worker. The original workers (maybe 5 or 6) were from the original Ochetellus colony. Those queens died and left a huge stack of brood and those workers behind. I successfully introduced them to the younger founding colony, but those workers all died except for that last one. The queens are doing very well, though.

Camponotus Variegatus:

FINALLY! I caught a queen of this species today! She was resting on the top of a wall, which was surprising due to the fact that they fly at night. She still has half of her wings and seems very relaxed. She's currently settled down in a test tube.

Coptotermes Gestroi:

I have two of these at the moment. They haven't laid any eggs yet. I have to say that they are quite adorable together, though. They nuzzle together and "kiss" frequently. I'm sure these two will make a very successful colony. 

Cryptotermes Cynocephalus:
I don't have any of these at the moment, but I had five recently. They didn't lay any eggs in captivity, so I released them in a promising founding site so they could have better luck. I'm hoping to catch a few more soon.

Also, should I worry about Camponotus formic acid sprays? My new queen hasn't sprayed me yet, but I want to know whether I should be careful or not.

• ctantkeeper likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 27 2017 - 2:53 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
You're moving to CT?! Great, I'm in MA.

#3 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 27 2017 - 7:12 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I think Formic Acid from Camponotus will only sting if an open wound gets sprayed. (Personal experience)

YJK

#4 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted April 27 2017 - 6:07 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

You're moving to CT?! Great, I'm in MA.

That's awesome! Maybe we can meet up sometime in the future.

I think Formic Acid from Camponotus will only sting if an open wound gets sprayed. (Personal experience)

Thanks for the info. I actually just figured that out after handling my queen :P

Also, here is the newest update!
UPDATE: Thursday, April 27, 2017

-Note: My parents made me get rid of nearly all of my insect pets due to the fact that we're moving to Connecticut soon. I had a few at school in my locker that are still alive and doing well. I'm going to release them in a month.

Pseudomyrmex Gracilis:
Nothing new yet.

Pheidole Megacephala:

Nothing new yet.

Ochetellus Glaber:

Nothing new yet.

Camponotus Variegatus:

The queen (I named her Green Day after numerous requests from a friend at school) bit and sprayed some acid on me. Ouch!

She also seems ready to lay an egg. I'm a bit worried, though, because her gaster seems a little bit smaller than photos of other Camponotus queens.

Coptotermes Gestroi:

The queen and king seem to be making a claustral chamber out of digested cardboard. I think they might have an egg as well, because they both seem to be guarding one spot.

I managed to snag 8 workers/soldiers (the termites capped off some drilled holes that were probably made for nuts and bolts in a cabinet. I broke one of the termite spit-caps and lured out a few with a rolled up tissue). I also found an alate (one was stuck in a drawer in my french classroom. It got its wings caught in the wood while it left the kickout hole). The workers are treating the alate like a queen. If I cannot find a mate for the reproductive I have, the workers may molt into a secondary reproductive. They are all living in a small clear plastic box with some dampened tissues.

Will update more soon!

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#5 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted May 5 2017 - 9:30 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

UPDATE: Friday, May 5, 2017

Pseudomyrmex Gracilis:
The existing queen died, sadly. I now have two new queens. They ate a few termite workers that I farmed from my captive colony.

Pheidole Megacephala:

Sadly, these two died.

Ochetellus Glaber:

This colony has seven workers now! There is also a huge brood.

Camponotus Variegatus:

I noticed that Green Day (the queen) was very skinny so I gave her some plain, water-free honey. She ate it and now seems very plump. Eggs coming soon, hopefully!

Coptotermes Gestroi:

I caught six new kings/queens. The main, older colony has six eggs, the next colony has two eggs, and the rest of the termites have 1 egg all together (the remaining four are living in a hollow bamboo stick together).

I caught a few more reproductives and I put them with the colony. They are still doing well. There are three kings and one queen. A few reproductive nymphs (molting from the pseudergates) are on the way as well.

• Martialis likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hawaiiant, journal, camponotus, ochetellus, pseudomyrmex, coptotermes, pheidole, cryptotermes, many bugs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users