• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Few photos of my ant colonies!!

trap jaws yellow crazy black crazy

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Antony - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:47 AM

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Fixed it, was just autocorrection as I typed that before.

Life is amazing, it is what it should be.

#22 Offline Barristan - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:48 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

It's not hard to reason that a single hobbyist's ability to block an entire year of reproduction for a colony (or else remove the species entirely from the immediate environment) is not good for the species. If you are not satisfied with my answer, then ask somebody who knows more about this subfamily than you or I do.

If the species isn't threatened I don't see any problem. That's why I asked if you know if the species is threatened. 

All Batspiderfish was saying was that the reproductive strategies of army ants are so vastly different than other ants that it is irresponsible to collect gyne(queens).

See above. If the species isn't threatened it isn't irresponsible.

I only hope you worry so much about environment when you buy food which contains palm tree oil.

#23 Offline Antony - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:50 AM

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
I agree, I've been given a warning. Okay , I guess I don't have freedom of speech. I think, I'm not a lawyer. But whatever. I'll just keep to myself I guess.

#24 Offline Martialis - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:54 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Was the dodo endangered before its extinction? What about the box turtle? The  cod? All of those animals are/were capable of having multiple reproductive offspring. Not to mention army ants are literally impossible to keep as pets, rendering the entire argument for their collection useless.

@Antony-

You have free speech, but you must obey the rules of the forum. Not trying to mod here, just stating a fact.

Edited by Martialis, April 27 2017 - 8:55 AM.

Spoiler

#25 Offline Antony - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:58 AM

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
I thought this was a hobby, to have fun and make friends. I'm incorrect. People here argue about everything just to make a point, and prove they are correct. which won't even make a difference. And I bet half the people on here ship ants. It doesn't effect you and if you think a ant queen will the make the slightest difference in a ecosystem whatever, I mean we dump oil in the ocean , if you use a car you pollute the air, when you shower , you waiste water, I can go on and on. I mean we are the reason ants are where they are, they could never cross waters unless it was for us. I'm done.
  • Barristan likes this

#26 Offline Antony - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:59 AM

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
And I'm not trying to say get queens and dump them either.

Edited by Antony, April 27 2017 - 8:59 AM.

#27 Offline Barristan - Posted April 27 2017 - 9:00 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Most insect species are threatened by destruction of their environment not by collecting. Why do you keep ants if you are so worried about damaging species?

I did not start this stupid discussion but I stand my ground and won't yield :). Next time just enjoy some photos without starting a discussion about ant keeping ethics ;)

Edited by Barristan, April 27 2017 - 9:02 AM.

#28 Offline T.C. - Posted April 27 2017 - 9:07 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I thought this was a hobby, to have fun and make friends. I'm incorrect. People here argue about everything just to make a point, and prove they are correct. which won't even make a difference. And I bet half the people on here ship ants. It doesn't effect you and if you think a ant queen will the make the slightest difference in a ecosystem whatever, I mean we dump oil in the ocean , if you use a car you pollute the air, when you shower , you waiste water, I can go on and on. I mean we are the reason ants are where they are, they could never cross waters unless it was for us. I'm done.

No, you apparently mispelled, batspiderfish twice and somehow they both came out to be insulting names? I'm not a moderator so I can be blunt and say I don't believe you. Also, if we look back, your the one that started the issues with that first post. That's why we are "arguing" with you. Barristan here, is just giving his beliefs and views, so it is nothing but a disscussion. No one is arguing with him!?
  • Barristan likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#29 Offline Cindy - Posted April 27 2017 - 9:17 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA
Nice photos.
  • Martialis likes this

#30 Offline Martialis - Posted April 27 2017 - 9:45 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I agree, Cindy. The Odontomachus and Pheidole  seemed pretty cool.

Spoiler

#31 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 27 2017 - 9:48 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Those are very nice photos. Antony, Batspider doesn't encourage it because Dorylinae reproduce very differently, only splitting colonies a few times per year instead of having nuptial flightts were thousands of queens are born. Collecting Dorylus queens is very harmful in the ssame way that collecting other slowly reporducing species are. If elephants weren't endangered, collecting would still make a dent.

• Martialis likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#32 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 27 2017 - 10:00 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I will agree with. Barristan. Makes me happy that we have such strong advocates. All invasive species have ironically come from government related causes.  So, ant keepers are not the real problem. If you know of an invasive species or threatened species due to ANT KEEPERS. Please inform the forum. 

• Formicarius likes this

YJK

#33 Offline T.C. - Posted April 27 2017 - 10:23 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Ok, this I am really hoping is the last thread that is polluted with such a subject. But I just want to point this out. There is no one saying that invasive species have been spread by "ant keepers" which wasn't even the original topic, or that we are to blame for endangered species. That would just be a ridiculous statement. The chances, it would happen are very small as well. But do you want to be the one blamed if it does happen? I promise you the oncoming punishment wouldn't be pretty. People here have stated what they think and believe, which is fine. Batspiderfish, informed people of the risks and issues with it and people then responded back with their opinion which was all fine. Decent people respect others opinions. The issue was the insulting posts.

There is laws to all my hobbies it seems. Pro-Drone flying is another one of them. We are being seriously limited to what gear we can use, and how far these air crafts can fly.... especially upwards. Like the ant hobby, there is reasons for the rules however. We can't legally fly them higher than 400 ft. Why? Well, because it risks the potential of a plane hitting one and crashing. It's NEVER happened before, and the chances are small right? Well, I assure you there has been close calls and it can happen. It's the same principle with the ant keeping hobby. When, I register my drones, I agree to these rules. When you start this hobby you are expected to be responsible and follow the rules as well.

Some people however are stubborn and break rules in both hobbies. That's none of my business or really anybody elses except for the people who deal with such issues for a career. We should inform everyone of the potential risks however. I just hope the people that are breaking the rules and laws are extremely careful to avoid potential disasters.

Edited by T.C., April 27 2017 - 10:27 AM.

• Martialis likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#34 Offline limwhol - Posted April 27 2017 - 3:55 PM

limwhol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Ya, just few workers no queen ant, I got them from my friend.

Welcome to visit the Chinese ant gallery site at https://antofchina.smugmug.com/, I am LaoJ, keeper of ants for 11 years, you could reach me at https://www.facebook.com/limwhol. Anything about Chinese ant species, just feel free to PM.

#35 Offline Leo - Posted April 27 2017 - 4:17 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

WHOA where do you live mate?

#36 Offline limwhol - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:26 PM

limwhol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I live in China. I post these images and hope you guys could enjoy it, but seems I am wrong, my photos started a unhappy argument.

There are countless ant colonies here in China, and keepers are just few people, it`s very common here in China that keepers hunting for colonies or something.

So if my photos make anybody uncomfortable, just tell me, I`ll remove it ASAP.

• klawfran3 likes this

Welcome to visit the Chinese ant gallery site at https://antofchina.smugmug.com/, I am LaoJ, keeper of ants for 11 years, you could reach me at https://www.facebook.com/limwhol. Anything about Chinese ant species, just feel free to PM.

#37 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:47 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I live in China. I post these images and hope you guys could enjoy it, but seems I am wrong, my photos started a unhappy argument.

There are countless ant colonies here in China, and keepers are just few people, it`s very common here in China that keepers hunting for colonies or something.

So if my photos make anybody uncomfortable, just tell me, I`ll remove it ASAP.

No, the photos aren't making anyone uncomfortable don't worry, they're absolutely beautiful! Please don't take them down! How long have you been keeping ants? It seems you have a lot of great species and know what you're doing really well. Thank you for sharing!

People on this forum just seem to be arguing a lot lately, must be the change in season or something. I just hope it dies down soon enough. It's embarrassing to read so many great minds just bicker away for no reason. Definitely not your photos fault.

Edited by klawfran3, April 27 2017 - 8:48 PM.

• Martialis and Formicarius like this

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#38 Offline Leo - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:58 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

ITS OK BUD I LIVE IN CHINA TOO

#39 Offline dermy - Posted April 27 2017 - 9:00 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

file.php?id=1617

file.php?id=1625

file.php?id=1626

file.php?id=1624

file.php?id=1621

file.php?id=1620

file.php?id=1619

file.php?id=1619

file.php?id=1618

Those are some really nice pictures. I especially like the picture of the Weaver ants covering the queen :D

#40 Offline Leo - Posted April 27 2017 - 9:04 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

My c nicobarensis has lots of workers  :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trap, jaws, yellow crazy, black crazy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users