• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Unknown Species Journal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Siddharth - Posted April 26 2017 - 2:14 AM

Siddharth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMumbai-India
Colony Name: The Lilliputians
Name origin: Their tiny size
Unknown species. 
Queen caught: 1April2017
nanitics observed: 24th April 2017
Current diet: Honey, Peanut butter
Spoiler
Journal:
APRIL 2017
April-2
I caught the queen at around 10:30AM in the concrete parking lot of my apartment. she was really small 
(Her size was comparable to a black crazy ant worker) and the way I ddiscernedwhether
or not she was a queen was by her large gaster size and the presence of wings. I caught her and immediately
housed her in a test-tube setup using the smallest test-tubes I had on hand, owing to her ridiculously small size.
I kept the testtube in an Ice-cream box in a dark place and patiently waited for brood and her first workers to
hatch. 

April-24
After exactly 22 days of brood development, I observed the queen's nanitics (her first workers) there were
five of them and all five had a very calm ddemeanor even when the test-tube they were housed in was aaccidentally shaken
or moved around. This was completely different from the Gemini Empire who would get spooked at the slightest movement
of their test-tube home. I had their test-tube covered with a roll of newspaper to keep it nice and dark and attached it
to a custom-made outworld to serve as their temporary outworld till they grow in size and I can move them to a
much bigger outworld. I'm thinking of housing them in an all-in-one setup once they grow a bit larger.

April-26
I officially gave the colony their name: The Lilliputians, owing to their tiny size. The colony has been eating well, but haven't
seemed to have ventured into the outworld yet. I'm guessing that's because they just don't have that many workers at the moment
and so are not willing to venture out too far from the nest. I also tried giving them some peanut butter, but they don't seem to take
to it too well. I might remove that next time I feed them.

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted April 26 2017 - 3:11 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

This looks like a Pheidole.

Spoiler

#3 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 26 2017 - 4:19 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Looks like Monomorium Pharaonis.

Edited by ctantkeeper, April 26 2017 - 4:19 AM.

#4 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 26 2017 - 5:34 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

More importantly, how'd you make the spoiler action!? I couldn't figure it out. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#5 Offline Spamdy - Posted April 26 2017 - 8:35 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

More importantly, how'd you make the spoiler action!? I couldn't figure it out.

How do you do it?

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users