• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is there any evidence to support byFormica products claims about effectiveness?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#41 Offline XZero38 - Posted April 25 2017 - 12:40 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Sub you keep claiming that he should show data, what about yourself? Where is your data on your solution?

I'm not charging people any money for it and thus I have the luxury of not having to provide any data. All of my claims are based on the use of methylparaben as a preservative and its well established that methylparaben is used at 0.05%-1% in many different applications.

Also, there are photos of colonies of mine living with methylparaben water linked off of the guide thread also including one queen who has been in the same tube for about a year.

So since you arent exchanging money for product you can spout whatever nonsense you like and don't have to have any information to back it up other then what you claim? Yet you are demanding data from someone else who is selling the "exact same" thing?

#42 Offline Subverted - Posted April 25 2017 - 12:43 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

So since you arent exchanging money for product you can spout whatever nonsense you like and don't have to have any information to back it up other then what you claim? Yet you are demanding data from someone else who is selling the "exact same" thing?

If you ever see me profiteering off of people please do the public a favor and point it out. Do the math and if it is anything like the math in this thread please call me out.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#43 Offline XZero38 - Posted April 25 2017 - 12:45 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

i don't think you understand how businesses that sell products work or what making a profit is.

• Reacker likes this

#44 Offline Subverted - Posted April 25 2017 - 12:46 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal
I understand it very well but I think there are some ethical limits to how far you can mark something up.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#45 Offline XZero38 - Posted April 25 2017 - 12:47 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

So why don't you go be a sjw at companies who are ripping people off for needed items?

#46 Offline Subverted - Posted April 25 2017 - 12:49 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal
If I see something that can easily be DIY'd I certainly will! You should to! Its really everyone's civic duty as a human being to look out for others.

#47 Offline Serafine - Posted April 25 2017 - 1:16 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I'm not charging people any money for it and thus I have the luxury of not having to provide any data.

Oh, I know that concept from politics!
It's called fundamental opposition. It's awesome because you don't have to prove or solve anything but can still complain that everyone else is doing it wrong.

• PTAntFan likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#48 Offline Subverted - Posted April 25 2017 - 1:24 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I'm not charging people any money for it and thus I have the luxury of not having to provide any data.

Oh, I know that concept from politics!
It's called fundamental opposition. It's awesome because you don't have to prove or solve anything but can still complain that everyone else is doing it wrong.

Well just for you, I have a special link: https://www.ncbi.nlm...1820/table/f01/

Also another link for where you can buy your very own pound of methylparaben and they mention that "Methyl Paraben is also used in several widely used beauty products and cosmetics (at a rate of 0.01% to 0.3%), as well as a food preservative (up to 0.1%)."

I'm not sure what data you are looking for beyond sources for how I arrived at my 0.1% concentration figure for methylparaben.

Still very interested to see what data Terry has that his product is supposedly better than just methylparaben in solution. His claim is the only extraordinary one being made that is not supported by piles of papers.

#49 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted April 25 2017 - 1:55 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

It is simple capitalism. byFormica saw a market for a product, created said product, and priced it at a level where his costs are covered and he can recoup some of the R&D that went into making said product (even if R&D is simply determining desirable concentrations of compounds to mix into solution; not the point). It is up to competing companies to create competition for the product that will cause the price to drop or for byFormica to stop producing it because it is no longer financially viable. He is a business, whose sole purpose is to generate money, not provide charitable products for a hobby market. You did your "consumer watchdog" responsibility by posting a guide for creating a similar product, and for that I will give you a firm pat on the back. However, the same can be said for distilled water that you purchase at the store. Anyone can make it (http://www.wikihow.c...Distilled-Water), yet water companies still sell it for a profit. You advocate its use in your DIY, but don't offer a DIY solution for making your own distilled water, so you are feeding into the notion of a "rip off" product even in your own thread. Point being, everyone can DIY anything. The opportunity cost of doing so is the variable that makes products "worth it" or not. Companies exist to PROFIT from people who value their time and efforts more so than that of the cost of the product the company produces.

This thread is a toxic drama cesspool that is driving at a personal vendetta that adds nothing additional from the other threads that have been cited multiple times, and belongs in the sandbox with other uninformative and immature topics.

• PTAntFan, LC3, klawfran3 and 4 others like this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#50 Offline Subverted - Posted April 25 2017 - 2:12 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal
To make distilled water at home you need way more equipment than you do to make methylparaben water which only requires a measuring spoon. I don't think that comparison makes much sense?

I honestly started this thread with the best of intentions and it was met immediately by a personal attack from Terry (drtrmiller) when all I was doing was calling into question his product. Terry took this thread places I never wanted it to go but I suppose that is what you do when you don't have data to back up your product claims.

If you feel this thread was driven by a personal vendetta then you are more than welcome to feel that way but it truly was never intended as such.

#51 Offline Superant33 - Posted April 25 2017 - 2:18 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I have tried several of Terry's products. They all worked for me. Expensive? Yes. But they saved me time over making my own. And my ants preferred byformica products to my own versions. I think Terry's products are worth the price. I will buy byformica products again.

#52 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted April 25 2017 - 2:48 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

To make distilled water at home you need way more equipment than you do to make methylparaben water which only requires a measuring spoon. I don't think that comparison makes much sense?

I honestly started this thread with the best of intentions and it was met immediately by a personal attack from Terry (drtrmiller) when all I was doing was calling into question his product. Terry took this thread places I never wanted it to go but I suppose that is what you do when you don't have data to back up your product claims.

If you feel this thread was driven by a personal vendetta then you are more than welcome to feel that way but it truly was never intended as such.

Did you click the link I provided as an example of making distilled water? Literally just a stock pot, glass bowl, and ice. Not exactly cost restrictive.

As for providing evidence, the burden of proof falls on the accuser. It is fair to request information about a product, but producers are by no means required to provide that information, especially in cases, for example, where it may provide for a means to create a DIY guide and damage their potential at earning money. If you can provide examples of the product not meeting the advertised claims, then yes a company should provide the information they used to make those claims. However, proving a liquid does/does not provide, for example, supplemental Ca to ants in a definitive scientific matter will cost more than I think anybody is willing to spend on either side of the issue. If that is your cup of tea and have Trump-like resources to do so, by all means, feel free to prove byFormica's claims wrong. As for byFormicas other "claims", a fair assumption, as stated earlier in the thread, is that the ants with the byFormica products have to be harassed less due decreased maintenance, decreasing their stress levels. Again, who has the time or money to determine ant stress levels on a scientific level. I don't think anyone is disputing the antimicrobial properties of the product so I won't even get into that. Until definitive proof is provided to the contrary, businesses, just like people, are allowed to make speculative claims about their products (see magic penis growth pill adds).

Now the personal attack. I concede that the first post in the thread is semi neutral. The attack comes from the frequency and type of posting related to the subject that you have submitted for review by everyone on the forum. It was very evident to me how you felt about the product in your DIY thread when you referred to it as a "ripoff". That is a pretty harsh phrase to use, but again your opinion. You then make this thread challenging the validity of byFormicas claims, but offer no evidence to the contrary. Your responses continued to be combative with your choice of font, tone and dismissive attitude to customer feedback that doesn't suit your drive for "proof".

Until a time comes where you can challenge byFormicas claims with your own proof to the contrary, I refer you to the last sentence in my above post.

P.S. Can I dare say this is an attempt to... subvert... byFormica and it's reputation? :lol:

Edited by CallMeCraven, April 25 2017 - 2:53 PM.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#53 Offline Formicarius - Posted April 25 2017 - 2:59 PM

Formicarius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGermany

Gonna get some of this Methylparaben stuff and try it with some Queens I'm gonna catch this summer.

Seems like an interesting experiment. Would be pretty nice if it works without killing the Ants too.

#54 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted April 25 2017 - 3:00 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Do you have any data beyond a single anecdote that would support paying $15 for 150ml of something you can make over 100 gallons of for $17 shipped?

Multiple users of the forum back drtmiller, I'm pretty sure this should just be done. If he gave people what they needed for free, he wouldn't have enough money to make more of this.

The fact that you haven't thought this over puts many users in a position where the feel drtmiller is correct, and this is more of a personal vendetta.

• Reacker likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#55 Offline Subverted - Posted April 25 2017 - 3:08 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Did you click the link I provided as an example of making distilled water? Literally just a stock pot, glass bowl, and ice. Not exactly cost restrictive.

I did in fact look at your link and I said nothing about costs. I said it requires more equipment and there is no argument that all it takes is a single measuring spoon to make methyl paraben solution.

As for providing evidence, the burden of proof falls on the accuser. It is fair to request information about a product, but producers are by no means required to provide that information, especially in cases, for example, where it may provide for a means to create a DIY guide and damage their potential at earning money. If you can provide examples of the product not meeting the advertised claims, then yes a company should provide the information they used to make those claims. However, proving a liquid does/does not provide, for example, supplemental Ca to ants in a definitive scientific matter will cost more than I think anybody is willing to spend on either side of the issue. If that is your cup of tea and have Trump-like resources to do so, by all means, feel free to prove byFormica's claims wrong. As for byFormicas other "claims", a fair assumption, as stated earlier in the thread, is that the ants with the byFormica products have to be harassed less due decreased maintenance, decreasing their stress levels. Again, who has the time or money to determine ant stress levels on a scientific level. I don't think anyone is disputing the antimicrobial properties of the product so I won't even get into that. Until definitive proof is provided to the contrary, businesses, just like people, are allowed to make speculative claims about their products (see magic penis growth pill adds).

Now the personal attack. I concede that the first post in the thread is semi neutral. The attack comes from the frequency and type of posting related to the subject that you have submitted for review by everyone on the forum. It was very evident to me how you felt about the product in your DIY thread when you referred to it as a "ripoff". That is a pretty harsh phrase to use, but again your opinion. You then make this thread challenging the validity of byFormicas claims, but offer no evidence to the contrary. Your responses continued to be combative with your choice of font, tone and dismissive attitude to customer feedback that doesn't suit your drive for "proof".

Until a time comes where you can challenge byFormicas claims with your own proof to the contrary, I refer you to the last sentence in my above post.

My tone comes from Terry's own actions where he claimed my guide would kill peoples ants and then claimed that pH had no impact on methylparaben's efficacy (see my guide with chart) all while making even more personal attacks. He claims the concentration I use in my guide is not correct so I posted even more evidence supporting my statements about the concentrations of methylparaben needed and that there will be no noticeable difference between his product and the orders of magnitude cheaper DIY solution.

I have tried to keep my comments focused on his product and to keep it civil while he has made absolutely no effort to do the same.

You admit yourself that the data to back up his claims does not exist and we all know this but he keeps on saying it does but it is a "trade secret".

It is interesting how many people are willing to fight Terry's battles for him when he has still provided no evidence to support any of his claims and I have provided numerous links supporting my positions.

#56 Offline Subverted - Posted April 25 2017 - 3:11 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Do you have any data beyond a single anecdote that would support paying $15 for 150ml of something you can make over 100 gallons of for $17 shipped?

Multiple users of the forum back drtmiller, I'm pretty sure this should just be done. If he gave people what they needed for free, he wouldn't have enough money to make more of this.

The fact that you haven't thought this over puts many users in a position where the feel drtmiller is correct, and this is more of a personal vendetta.

Have you thought about the ethical implications of selling 150ml bottles (you can make 25 of his $15 bottles from a gallon of solution) that contain less than 1% of the main active ingredient which you can buy a pound of for $17 shipped to your door?

I would like to see some data saying that his product is some super miracle water before we all give him a pass on this.

#57 Offline Subverted - Posted April 25 2017 - 3:32 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I think this is my first legal threat of the year:

#58 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted April 25 2017 - 4:05 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

My tone comes from Terry's own actions where he claimed my guide would kill peoples ants and then claimed that pH had no impact on methylparaben's efficacy (see my guide with chart) all while making even more personal attacks. He claims the concentration I use in my guide is not correct so I posted even more evidence supporting my statements about the concentrations of methylparaben needed and that there will be no noticeable difference between his product and the orders of magnitude cheaper DIY solution.

I have tried to keep my comments focused on his product and to keep it civil while he has made absolutely no effort to do the same.

You admit yourself that the data to back up his claims does not exist and we all know this but he keeps on saying it does but it is a "trade secret".

It is interesting how many people are willing to fight Terry's battles for him when he has still provided no evidence to support any of his claims and I have provided numerous links supporting my positions.

Costs for everyday kitchen utensils, like stock pots, pyrex bowls, and measuring spoons are the same. Everybody has these items available in their kitchen. Your only investment in either activity is time, and since you apparently already value your time more than that of a reputable company's product, bowling water is not that much of an increase in investment.

Your sources, as they are provided in your post, are questionable at best. Your chart on pH effect on preservative efficacy sites references that you do not provide, so the exact context of the chart is impossible to be determined (efficacy in what, makeup, food, drugs, arthropod enthusiest product?). The second figure, from the Journal of Applied Oral Science (?),forces me to make several assumptions since, once again you provide no context for your source. What assumptions I can draw from the limited text is that the chart lists the concentration of methylparaben in (prescription?) drugs on the Brazilian market for use in humans to treat something to do with Oral Science. Again, context in the form of the full article will help with clarification, not to mention show us the methods and more results of the study. So far, with the sources provided, I can draw the conclusion that I, as a human can use methlyparaben in concentrations of around 0.1% to treat something to do with Oral Science (which I am still not clear what Oral Science is, having to do with a mouth or something like oral traditions, but instead of folk tales, villages pass science from one generation to the next) as long as pH of the solution containing the methylparaben is somewhere between 4-8 (but I can't determine if that is even correct because I can not see the references sited in the table). I guess that is some relief if I ever personally engage in oral science. Using these references seems an awful like comparing apples to oranges, and seeing as the subject of this forum are arthropods, not mammals, more relevant and properly cited sources are needed in my opinion.

I also never stated that byFormica does not have the research to support their claims. I speculated that the costs associated with running a proper scientific study on a product for use by hobbiest ant keepers would be prohibitive, and that any research into the product would be recouped by the cost of the product. I also clarified that a business does not have to show "proof" of their claims, instead the burden of proof falls onto the accuser to prove that those claims are false. Like I said, the only claim I see possible of proving false is the claim the byFormica's product supplies supplemental Ca to the ants. Be my guest to invest the copious amounts of money and time into determining that. I am sure byFormica will thank you for doing that research and adjust their product information should you prove them wrong. In your original DIY thread, Terry offered his professional opinion that your methods could prove dangerous/lethal for ant colonies. I am fairly certain he did not announce that it will flat out kill all ants.

Have you thought about the ethical implications of selling 150ml bottles (you can make 25 of his $15 bottles from a gallon of solution) that contain less than 1% of the main active ingredient which you can buy a pound of for $17 shipped to your door?

I would like to see some data saying that his product is some super miracle water before we all give him a pass on this.

What ethical implications? I see a company trying to sell their product for a profit. I think everyone got it in your first thread that you do not like that fact. Here is a simple solution. Make a thread stating your opinion, like you have already done, try to sway people to your opinion in that thread, and do not purchase the product. You do not know the cost of their overhead, so it is not fair assume they are gouging anything. An unethical business practice is selling a generator before a hurricane for 300% market value. Selling a product in a market where there are no/limited competitors for a modest mark up is not. I am sorry if business making a profit on a product they sell is a foreign notion to you, but there is no other country in the world that operates differently. Businesses exist to make a profit.

I am not supporting byFormica or Terry, I am simply pointing out that you are not providing any sources to counteract the claims put forward by byFormica. The links your have provided offer no context, and what assumptions I can make from them lead me to believe they are about use of methylparaben in mammals i.e. humans. I hate using bold font, but apparently the precedence of this thread is to use them when you think you are making a cheeky point!

Edited by CallMeCraven, April 25 2017 - 4:07 PM.

• Reacker likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#59 Offline Vendayn - Posted April 25 2017 - 4:15 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Sellers can price their product whatever they want.

If I made a product and very few if any were selling, I could charge 100 dollars for it or whatever amount. If people bought it, that means people find a use of that product. If not, its either too expensive, competitors (if any) offer a better price or/and people just don't want it.

An example...its like selling queen ants or colonies. There are sellers that have a large amount of colonies and they sell for what I'd consider kinda "average" (on my income), and others sell way too much for my income. I'd consider their ants too be...not a rip off...but something I couldn't buy because my income is very little. But people can price the ants whatever they want, and either people buy them or not. No one is holding a gun to peoples heads and forcing them to buy (or not to buy) the product(s).

Anyway, that is my two cents on it.

• CallMeCraven likes this

#60 Offline Subverted - Posted April 25 2017 - 4:27 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Your sources, as they are provided in your post, are questionable at best. Your chart on pH effect on preservative efficacy sites references that you do not provide, so the exact context of the chart is impossible to be determined (efficacy in what, makeup, food, drugs, arthropod enthusiest product?). The second figure, from the Journal of Applied Oral Science (?),forces me to make several assumptions since, once again you provide no context for your source. What assumptions I can draw from the limited text is that the chart lists the concentration of methylparaben in (prescription?) drugs on the Brazilian market for use in humans to treat something to do with Oral Science. Again, context in the form of the full article will help with clarification, not to mention show us the methods and more results of the study. So far, with the sources provided, I can draw the conclusion that I, as a human can use methlyparaben in concentrations of around 0.1% to treat something to do with Oral Science (which I am still not clear what Oral Science is, having to do with a mouth or something like oral traditions, but instead of folk tales, villages pass science from one generation to the next) as long as pH of the solution containing the methylparaben is somewhere between 4-8 (but I can't determine if that is even correct because I can not see the references sited in the table). I guess that is some relief if I ever personally engage in oral science. Using these references seems an awful like comparing apples to oranges, and seeing as the subject of this forum are arthropods, not mammals, more relevant and properly cited sources are needed in my opinion.

Sorry I assumed if you wanted to read the references for the chart that you would 1) look at the url and 2) google the title of the chart. It is the second link: http://www.americanp...a-Preservative/

If you had bothered to actually read the second source the full text is very obviously linked on the left above the chart should you wish to read it. Had you clicked to read the full article you would have seen that they were comparing the concentrations of methylparaben used as a preservative in oral analgesic solutions just as the title of the chart suggests. It is a perfect citation for my assertion about the concentration of methylparaben needed to abate mold/fungus/bacterial growth in a test tube containing distilled water.

In your original DIY thread, Terry offered his professional opinion that your methods could prove dangerous/lethal for ant colonies. I am fairly certain he did not announce that it will flat out kill all ants.

Here is a quote where he claims my guide could kill peoples ants: "that will...at worst, kill the ants of users who attempt them." That is quite an accusation to make.

I am not supporting byFormica or Terry, I am simply pointing out that you are not providing any sources to counteract the claims put forward by byFormica. The links your have provided offer no context, and what assumptions I can make from them lead me to believe they are about use of methylparaben in mammals i.e. humans.

You are disparaging my sources without having bothered to investigate them at all...I'm not sure what you are adding to this discussion?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users