• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello From Iowa

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Keymo - Posted April 16 2017 - 11:38 PM

Keymo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Well, hello from Iowa!

When I was pretty young my mother got me one of those 2-pane ant colony kits and a tube of ants - it lasted at least 6 months before all the ants died and I gave up. The spark was found again when I was moving out and for the next 2 years I would order new colonies over and over thinking that ants just didn't live very long.

So I buy my own acreage and was looking up bee keeping when ant stuff starts popping up - never realized how cool and interesting it all was beyond just watching them. The fire has been lit for a few years now and after no success last year (didn't disturb anything to look for them) I decided to dive deeper into the internet and find I can't even buy queens in Iowa... So now that I *think* they're supposed to be out again...? (One of my questions) I need help. *Joins the forum* I've only found one other  member from Iowa in my searches.

I look forward to learning with, from and sharing with you all!

Sorry for the long winded intro but thought this would be a good place to gain some guidance? I'll be seeing what more I can find after this post as well...

I've searched about as far as I feel like general Google is going to take me with this..

I'm interested in Camponotus mainly because of their size as I LOVED to be sitting next to my 2-pane "formicarium" reading and then pausing and watching them for a while. And I'd love to take that to "the next level" so to speak. haha!

The past winter of attempted specific research on and off has left me with a lot of questions about them pretty much along the whole process... I'm sure I'm over-thinking things but I'd love to be told so by someone else. haha!

Edited by Keymo, April 16 2017 - 11:52 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#2 Offline BMM - Posted April 17 2017 - 6:17 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Welcome! Camponotus just flew in Missouri, so they're probably not too far off for you. It happened here once the weather started breaking 80°. Also, you may not need to tear up the environment to find them. Perhaps it's because I went hunting right after they flew, but all of my Camponotus queens were found under small logs and bits of loose wood.

#3 Offline Keymo - Posted April 17 2017 - 6:42 PM

Keymo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks!
It hasn't hit the 80s yet up here but we've been getting some pretty solid upper 60s low 70s.. I remember reading that now should be the beginning of when they'll fly - so definitrly cool to hear that you're seeing them down there now!

And awesome to know! I was hoping that, that could be an option. Went on a little 10min walk on break today before I read your reply and turned over every piece of wood I came across but didn't find any Camponotus - or queens. Was in a small, slightly wooded area by my work. Found a nest of some tiny brown ones and a couple majors - need to expand my identification abilities - but tried to leave them how I found em.
Any further tips on Camponotus hunting? Haha! Is there a better time of day? Should I forget it until we hit the 80s?
Kinda bummed because the forcast changed to storms most of the week.. but hoping that means I'll have some better luck this weekend because of it...?

Edited by Keymo, April 17 2017 - 6:55 PM.

#4 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 17 2017 - 7:00 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Welcome from the deep south!

YJK

#5 Offline BMM - Posted April 17 2017 - 7:48 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Just find some local colonies and keep an eye on them for activity. Once it gets a bit warmer, maybe 75+, starting checking around those areas. I had a lot of luck in my local park just flipping over small bits of wood.

#6 Offline Keymo - Posted April 17 2017 - 8:17 PM

Keymo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Welcome from the deep south!

Thanks for the welcome!

Just find some local colonies and keep an eye on them for activity. Once it gets a bit warmer, maybe 75+, starting checking around those areas. I had a lot of luck in my local park just flipping over small bits of wood.

Thanks for the avdice! I'll have to see if I can find any colonies on my property that I can monitor... I know I've seen Camponotus out here before... I live in the middle of no where - 20min drive to the closest town.. 1hr drive to current job - but getting a closer job soon with better hours and a sweet wooded park in the town! Might give me some more options.

#7 Offline Witmen - Posted April 19 2017 - 6:07 PM

Witmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hello and welcome from Indiana!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users