• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Costars Wanted for Kids' Show

ants live ants collect collector formicaria ant nest trophallax color local species drinking ant farm formicarium

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 17 2014 - 11:22 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I will see if the Nylanderia have gasters that will expand with color, but I do not think there would be enough workers, continue considering Drew's ants.

#22 Offline lazarusadam - Posted September 17 2014 - 11:32 AM

lazarusadam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I will see if the Nylanderia have gasters that will expand with color, but I do not think there would be enough workers, continue considering Drew's ants.

Tenfour.  Thank you for checking into the gasters.  Will still focus on Drew's ants.  Good luck finding fungus.  I've had that problem with Atta before (wasn't able to solve).  If you have any fungus left, I suggest coddling the ants as much as possible to give the gardeners their best shot at bringing the fungus back.  I'm sorry you're having trouble.

#23 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 17 2014 - 11:37 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Actually they are just queens from this year's nuptial flights. I am planning on buying some fungus from Drew, so as long as they are fertile, I will hopefully have a colony. :) How many workers would you need? I would have no trouble collecting some of the same Nylanderia that are in my yard.

Edited by Gregory2455, September 17 2014 - 1:02 PM.

#24 Offline lazarusadam - Posted September 17 2014 - 12:10 PM

lazarusadam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Actually they are just queens from this year's nuptial flights. U am planning on buying some fungus from Drew, so as long as they are fertile, I will hopefully have a colony. :) How many workers would you need? I would have no trouble collecting some of the same Nylanderia that are in my yard.

Hey!  Ideally we would have a TON for the picnic table raid; fewer are needed for the macro shots of drinking.  How many do you think you could get together?  How far is your location from Los Angeles?  Thank you!

#25 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 17 2014 - 1:01 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I will test their gaster transparency today, but it is possible that only callow workers have the transparency.

#26 Offline Alza - Posted September 17 2014 - 3:11 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

t i started them off with 200 boost workers, last month. i fed them 4 days ago, and they had pupae 

#27 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 17 2014 - 4:34 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I am in Simi Valley, and how many would you need? I am planning to dig a few semi-mature colonies up anyway, because they are posing a problem in their location.

#28 Offline lazarusadam - Posted September 17 2014 - 5:27 PM

lazarusadam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I will test their gaster transparency today, but it is possible that only callow workers have the transparency.

Understood.  Would love to see hear how it goes.

#29 Offline lazarusadam - Posted September 17 2014 - 5:43 PM

lazarusadam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I am in Simi Valley, and how many would you need? I am planning to dig a few semi-mature colonies up anyway, because they are posing a problem in their location.

Ideally we would have a couple thousand, as we want them to really flood the table.  Think we can do that??  How hard would it be for us to meet up?

#30 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 17 2014 - 6:13 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ideally we would have a couple thousand

For the macro shots? By the way Nylanderia are petty tiny so you may want to stick with the argentine ants for the table flood scene. The Nylanderia would be only useful for the macro shots.

#31 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 17 2014 - 6:42 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So I tested the gaster transparency with the Nylanderia, the callow workers looked great filling up on red humming bird nectar! Sadly, the workers however were already too dark to see the liquid inside. the amount of callow workers needed for this would be too much, even though they are callow longer than normal ants, it would still be too hard.

#32 Offline lazarusadam - Posted September 17 2014 - 9:51 PM

lazarusadam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

So I tested the gaster transparency with the Nylanderia, the callow workers looked great filling up on red humming bird nectar! Sadly, the workers however were already too dark to see the liquid inside. the amount of callow workers needed for this would be too much, even though they are callow longer than normal ants, it would still be too hard.

Wow Gregory2455, you're amazing.  I truly appreciate that you took the time to do this test, and for your help in general.  

#33 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 17 2014 - 9:57 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

:)

#34 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 11 2014 - 8:06 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

lazarusadam,

So how did the video shoot go with your Formica ravida?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, live ants, collect, collector, formicaria, ant nest, trophallax, color, local, species, drinking, ant farm, formicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users