• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Holy small....

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Civz - Posted April 16 2017 - 8:20 AM

Civz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

I was exploring the nature park in town for signs of queen activity when i came across what looked like ant hills or claustral chambers. On close inspection i found that they WERE tiny ant hills, with i can only describe as Mite-Sized ants.. so small i was not able to collect them or photograph them..  By far the smallest species i have ever seen.  I live in norther California, they were founs in the woods, nesting in the ground in red dirt on the walking paths.. Ill try to find my way there again today for a while an retrieve some images of the mound.  Thanks in advance for any help friends!

Happy Anting =)

• ctantkeeper likes this

#2 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 16 2017 - 8:40 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Monomorium minimum or Monomorium emarginatum perhaps? 

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 16 2017 - 12:34 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Thief ant Solenopsis and Brachymyrmex are the smallest common ants in North America. Strumigenys can also be quite small.

• Nathant2131 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 16 2017 - 3:01 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Based on what I've seen, these are some common species who tend to house particularly small workers:

• Monomorium minimum
  • Nylanderia sp.
  • Brachymyrmex sp.
  • Solenopsis molesta
  • Pheidole sp. (Small minors and larger majors)
  • Vollenhovia emeryi

You probably won't find Vollenhovia in California, but they are small indeed. If you would like to ID these ants and don't have a picture, you could always just start by listing their habitat, coloration and length as accurately as you can. I know if it were me, I wouldn't sleep until I got a good ID; little ants are the coolest to me by far.

#5 Offline Salmon - Posted April 17 2017 - 8:16 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
If they were a translucent amber color and moved slowly, they were probably Solenopsis molesta or a similar small Solenopsis. If they were slow moving and a shiny black color they were Monomorium.

#6 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 17 2017 - 8:21 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Solenopsis Molesta, thief/grease ant, can be super tiny. I've described them like fuzzy, moving blankets. 

While I know there is a colony, somehow, in my yard... haven't been able to get another queen. Did last year but had her die on me..

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#7 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 17 2017 - 9:57 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Are they orange and sting? Wasmannia auropunctata are that tiny. Not sure if they're in northern cali though.

#8 Offline Civz - Posted April 17 2017 - 11:23 AM

Civz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

they were REALLY hard to see and i didn't have my gem loupe with me at the time.. they were honestly the smallest and i have ever seen. i thought they were mites until i investigated one on a leaf, but from what i could tell they were a dark grey or a black. I'm trying to find time to go back and get pics but the rains just started in again so ill have to wait xD

#9 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 17 2017 - 11:28 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

When i found some W.auropunctata, i had no clue that i was even looking at ants. The area that a few hundred took up was roughly the area of a quarter. Upon first inspection, it looked like sand was just melting away until i used my phone for a closer view. Was an awesome site to see.

#10 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 17 2017 - 12:32 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I was digging this weekend and pulled out a glob of dirt. I thought it was dirt. The ants were so tiny and so...dispersed amongst this..dirt pile. I was severely baffled. Couldn't really get a picture. 

JUST like Loops said, it was...like....sand melting. Moving. It looked..fuzzy. The egg piles gave away that I was looking at ants but they were so tiny. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#11 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 17 2017 - 2:57 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Not Wasmania, they .would only be a greenhouse pest. Sounds most likely Brachymyrmex patagonicus.

#12 Offline Civz - Posted April 21 2017 - 12:04 PM

Civz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

UPDATE! i have a pic, found on walking trail in forrested area. just about 1mm long. all black! 

http://imgur.com/JJE0p4l

#13 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 21 2017 - 2:23 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

UPDATE! i have a pic, found on walking trail in forrested area. just about 1mm long. all black! 

Probably Monomorium of some sort.

#14 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 21 2017 - 2:32 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Probably Monomorium of some sort.

I agree. The pedicel details looks very much like Monomorium.

#15 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 21 2017 - 5:04 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Monomorium
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#16 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted April 21 2017 - 7:37 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I was thinking Solenopsis. This reminds me of Solenopsis Papuana.

Monomorium was always a big ant for me. My first ants were Brachymyrmex and Ochetellus, thus making me used to small ants.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes