• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

myrmica not feeding

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 15 2017 - 7:52 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

My Myrmica colony has refused to eat anything I have offered them. I have offered:

-cut up waxworms

-cut up beetle larvae

-crushed seeds (miller, rapeseed)

-cheezit crackers

-honey water

-pure honey

-chicken

-oats

-fish food

Nothing has been taken, eaten, or moved, and they haven't left their test tube to the outworld in days. ay food I put in the test tube is taken out and dumped. What can I do to get them to eat? The brood pile is shrinking and I don't want them to die out.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 15 2017 - 10:59 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I sometimes find that my myrmica don't appreciate dead foods. The ants seem to prefer softer bodied insects too. I sometimes have to force live foods into the nest for them to eat it. The food doesn't have to be very alive. Just enough to make them struggle
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 15 2017 - 5:17 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

My Myrmica accept frozen Drosophila.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 15 2017 - 7:26 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

tried offering a mostly dead fly, they all evacuated the nest and set up their brood in a corner of the outworld. I removed the fly and jusst shined a bright light on them until they went back in. It seems like they're just not going to feed at this point

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 15 2017 - 8:23 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Did you shove it into their tube or something? What kind of fly was it? If was any different from a dead vinegar fly, then the results probably won't be the same.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 15 2017 - 8:25 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted April 15 2017 - 9:41 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

try fruit flies. i gave mine some and they loved them

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#7 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 15 2017 - 9:45 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Did you shove it into their tube or something? What kind of fly was it? If was any different from a dead vinegar fly, then the results probably won't be the same.

I lightly put it into the end of the tube, definitely didn't just shove it in there. I guess the fact that it was twitching and smelled weird made them panic and evacuate.

The thing is that the town I live in does not have any pet shops where I can get fruit flies, and it is too cold for them here at this time. I live in Wyoming. It's 45 F until May. I'll attempt to feed them other small insects I find but it doesn't seem like things are working out. I'll see if I can find some gnats or midges near the local stream, I know stoneflies and mayflies are out but I don't know if the ants will eat them.

Edited by klawfran3, April 15 2017 - 9:46 PM.

#8 Offline AntswerMe - Posted April 23 2017 - 8:39 AM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
What have they eaten before? Are they still alive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users