• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

(Feb 7 Update) 3D "Holographic" Formicarium Experiment

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 2 2016 - 9:04 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'm designing a "holographic" 3D formicarium.  Chambers branch in and out of an acrylic stack consisting of 4 layers.  A sponge on the left side for hydration, with micro channels going to the chambers, and a heat channel on the right side.

All is contained in a beautiful box with foraging area on top and decorative lamp functionality.  More pictures to come.

See if you can trace the possible paths an ant may take coming into the nest, from either of the top entrances.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 7 2016 - 3:26 AM.

• Batspiderfish, Martialis, antgenius123 and 1 other like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 2 2016 - 9:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Interesting. :thinking:

#3 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted February 3 2016 - 1:24 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

looks awesome, but will there be founding setups in this style?

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 7 2016 - 3:00 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I promised more pictures. My experimental test version is on the small side, but is still larger than a GroTube, making it a suitable step-up formicarium for colonies of up to a couple thousand small ants. It will house my colony of Solenopsis invicta, which have completely filled up their GroTube with brood and workers.

The 7x3x1 inch nest will have 10 chambers and many interconnecting tunnels. The chambers are over 10 mm deep—very spacious, but just the right length and height for this relatively small ant. The foraging area on top will be 7 inches long and 6 inches deep.

Pictured above is a 3D-printed prototype to examine the size and characteristics of one of the pieces that will make up the nest stack. The final pieces making up the nest stack will be crystal clear, not white. My 10 gallon tank and custom ant lid is visible in the background.

Overall, I'm really excited about the direction of this project in terms of a beautiful art piece. Too few people focus on blending organic with industrial style, and even fewer have the tools and skills to produce a truly polished, beautiful habitat for ants. This will be my finest creation thus far.

Pictured above is the colony that will hopefully inhabit my prototype 3D nest. Does anyone want to guess how many ants are living in this GroTube? I admit I find it funny when people tell me that the GroTube seems small, and that they want something bigger, even though they only have 5 ants.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 7 2016 - 11:41 PM.

• ctantkeeper and Martialis like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 7 2016 - 5:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm glad you finally realized angles are better than curves. :P  B)

I'm going to guess there are 1629 ants in your GroTube.

• Kwitzats likes this

#6 Offline klawfran3 - Posted February 7 2016 - 9:13 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

It looks lovely and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Oh and I guess there would be at least 2000 ants in that nest

Edited by klawfran3, February 7 2016 - 9:15 AM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 9 2016 - 10:41 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The problem with this concept, is that it requires water-clear, laser-cut rubber/silicone gaskets between each layer of acrylic.  The purpose of these intermediate gaskets is to prevent liquids and solid particles from falling between the layers during use, which is a problem endemic to vertical and even horizontal acrylic stack nests.

Another problem, is the fact that such a design would be nearly impossible to clean, kind of defeating the purpose of such a unique, viewing-focused construction.

The project is on hold, pending a workaround.

#8 Offline Subverted - Posted July 9 2016 - 3:51 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Glad you are moving in better directions now. Like a lot of designs this looks cool but is just over-complicated to get right.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#9 Offline agold2009 - Posted July 25 2016 - 7:36 PM

agold2009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Very cool

• Ant Broski likes this

#10 Offline Martialis - Posted January 29 2017 - 10:13 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

So.. I'm guessing this project was cancelled?

Spoiler

#11 Offline Ant Broski - Posted March 26 2017 - 8:54 PM

Ant Broski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNormandy Park, WA
Yeah I think it's cancelled too.

#12 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 26 2017 - 8:56 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member