• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Neivamyrmex Experiment - NCE1

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alza - Posted September 14 2014 - 11:17 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Its finally begun, I will be updating this frequently   Along with Gregory

Edited by Alza, September 14 2014 - 5:26 PM.

#2 Offline Alza - Posted September 14 2014 - 11:18 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

| |                                             |---------------------------------------------                                                         |------------------------------------------------------------------

| |                                             |                                                        |                                                        |                                                                                  |

| |                                             |                                                        |                                                        |                                                                                  |

| |------------------------------------                                                         ----------------------------------------------                                                                                  | 

--------------------------------------                                                         ----------------------------------------------                                                                                  |

|                                                         |                                                        |                                                                                  | 

|                                                         |                                                        |                                                                                  |

-----------------------------------------------                                                        -------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 Offline Alza - Posted September 14 2014 - 11:19 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Very hard to make a computerized model of the Huge foraging/living area. Ill get real pictures of it when its 100% complete 

#4 Offline Alza - Posted September 14 2014 - 11:21 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Also, if you don't believe this will work, i would prefer you to comment on why you think it wouldn't :) 

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 14 2014 - 1:06 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

:huh:  Try to use the "preview" and "edit" buttons more often Alza.

#6 Offline wook - Posted September 14 2014 - 1:22 PM

wook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Do not spam threads and use "Edit" button.

//edit: same applies to you too dspDrew.
//edit of edit: good work dspDrew, you learned how to combine posts, that's what Alza needs to learn too, you should explain it to him :D

...:::]|wook|[:::...

#7 Offline Alza - Posted September 14 2014 - 1:29 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I'm not for that life. Also its basically a Huge foraging area connected by tubing to other foraging areas, and those foraging areas will become homes for them. there will be 30+ crickets in each foraging area, and will be switched out every 2 days. Thus providing unlimited space to migrate when there isn't enough food, or water. i have 50+ argentine ant queens and will use them as raids. Neivamyrmex specifically feed off of ant larvae/pupae stages and i plan to do alot more with these army ants

#8 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 15 2014 - 5:59 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Alza, the point is multiple posts that could be combined into once post is considered spamming on this forum. You are breaking Rule 4 as listed here:http://forum.formicu...tion=boardrules

Please read over the rules again and follow them to refrain from gathering anymore warning points as this could lead to temporary suspension or banning from the forum.

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted September 15 2014 - 6:34 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

What size of crickets are you planning on using?  Live ones?  If you weren't aware, a live larger cricket will eat ants in the ones and twos.

Plan to use variety.  I would look into one of those nets that the science labs use - you can get a large variety of insects  in one or two sweeps of the grass/bushes.

From what I have read Neivamyrmex use pupae as an important source of food in the wild (easily found and highly concentrated in an ant nest once found), but they are not reliant on it.  One problem with using ant brood is that disease and mites are often hitch hikers.  If you think about it - mealworm pupae aren't that much different than ant pupae. 

How large are those outworlds? 

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 15 2014 - 2:21 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If you weren't aware, a live larger cricket will eat ants in the ones and twos.

I would know, crickets ate my green snake

#11 Offline Alza - Posted September 15 2014 - 2:23 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village
I'm using argentine ants, because if there were mites they would kill off the colony before I get 100 workers. But I will use other insects as you recommended. Me and Gregory decided to start the colony off with a few thousand workers, thus we have to feed them a variety
And mercutia, if you aren't going to talk about the experiment, then I have no interest.

#12 Offline Alza - Posted September 15 2014 - 2:25 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village
I'm looking for constructive criticism, not a chat mod

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 15 2014 - 2:28 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

before I get 100 workers. 

Let me tell you again, there is no founding stage in these ants, and for their benefit, you would want to catch all the workers you see along with the queen, and a mechanical aspirator such as mine would be of the most use. Sadly, I accidentally broke mine around a week ago, and I am trying to fix it. I am in this because even though i doubt captivity will be a success, I want to at least see Neivamyrmex more in the wild.

#14 Offline Alza - Posted September 15 2014 - 2:31 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village
Don't lie, we're both in this because we believe its possible, and we can create the evolutionary concept of keeping neivamyrmex
Your welcome, mate
Don't be afraid to admit it :)

#15 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 15 2014 - 2:32 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

And mercutia, if you aren't going to talk about the experiment, then I have no interest.

I'm looking for constructive criticism, not a chat mod

Not to be like "that" I just want to say those could have been combined into one post just like the mods were saying.  :D

#16 Offline Alza - Posted September 15 2014 - 2:34 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village
Once again, not 4 that life

#17 Offline Alza - Posted September 15 2014 - 2:35 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village
Back to neivamyrmex, I chose argentine ants because they are plentiful and weak. And when the queen is endangered, they lay x2 more eggs

#18 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 15 2014 - 3:47 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

If you cannot respect the rules of the forum then you'll do well to leave. There aren't that many rules and they are there for the benefit of the community. I once again advise you to respect the rules of the forum and curb your ways otherwise there will be consequences.

#19 Offline Alza - Posted September 15 2014 - 4:40 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village
Thank you.

#20 Offline Alza - Posted October 11 2014 - 11:25 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

This experiment has been prolonged for too long, and will be set into action in a week or two. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users