• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Garrett's 4 Queen Neoponera villosa journal.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline attagarrett - Posted January 5 2022 - 3:08 PM

attagarrett

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTexas

Meant to start this back in December but might aswell now.

On December 4th, 2021 Neoponera villosa had one of their Nuptial Flights. I was fortunate enough to be in the area during the flight and was able to observe numerous founding queens running accross the jungle floor.

On December 5th, 2021 I flipped a large dead tree and under it were 4 Neoponera villosa queens attempting to found together. Finding 4 together was a first for me as the highest I have ever found under something was 2 back in April 2019. 

In finding the 4 together I was hoping they would have already determined the social hierarchy among themselves by dueling and other submissive behaviors. I collected the 4 queens and proceeded to set them up together in a horizontal nest made by coc for me. 

Eggs were laid around a day after collection and did not hatch for ~28 days.

January 3rd, 2022

iTYxVoPOQvPPpkwBrzndxLCBgG0fb4U9jVuaRjyI

The eggs hatched into larvae, there are roughly 6 which in my experience is a fairly large first batch, usually it is 1-3. I attribute this to the multiple queens, even though through the hierarchy there is only one dominant egg layer at a time.

Edited by attagarrett, January 5 2022 - 3:12 PM.

• B_rad0806, KadinB, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 5 2022 - 4:58 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I thought these guys were strictly monogynous, so this is quite interesting to see. However I doubt this association will last past the founding stage.

#3 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 5 2022 - 7:34 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I thought these guys were strictly monogynous, so this is quite interesting to see. However I doubt this association will last past the founding stage.

Neoponera actually tolerate multiple queens very well usually. Check out Urban Organisms youtube channel where he shows a video of neoponera villosa queens with tons of workers.

• eea likes this

#4 Offline UrbanOrganisms - Posted January 6 2022 - 5:45 PM

UrbanOrganisms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

https://link.springe...7/s000400050087

The data strongly suggests otherwise, neoponera villosa are well known exhibit primary polygyny. 

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 6 2022 - 8:16 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Interesting. I never knew that they were polygynous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users