• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Vendayn's Desert subterranean termites (Heterotermes aureus) journal (04-12-17)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted April 12 2017 - 6:56 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

I got a colony (pretty large one too) of Desert subterranean termites (Heterotermes aureus) yesterday. I got over 50 secondary reproductives (many I have a feeling are going to turn into winged alates, we'll see). Plus over 1000 workers, so quite a lot.

They are very active. I often see workers crawling on the surface, and this species of termite makes a lot of mud tubes which is cool. They are probably the most active native termite in California. They should be very fun to keep, and seeing that they survive in a really harsh condition, should be quite a bit easier than other termites (like the Western subterranean termites)

Edited by Vendayn, April 12 2017 - 6:56 PM.

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted April 12 2017 - 7:19 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Junior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Cool! Did you catch them or buy them?

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline Vendayn - Posted April 12 2017 - 7:41 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

I got them outside by Palm Springs. They were next to a huge wood pile. None were actually in the wood pile, but there were a huge amount of them under a large rock. There was still moisture under the rock, so that is probably why. They mostly eat grass and dry plants. I guess they can eat cacti too, but there isn't of any of that here, at least in the area I'm staying in. They are pretty cool for termites. My favorite native termite.

Also, unlike a lot of native California termites, their alates are yellowish brown which is cool. Most native subterranean termites have black alates.

Edited by Vendayn, April 12 2017 - 7:44 PM.

#4 Offline Vendayn - Posted April 13 2017 - 4:02 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

These termites are really active. About the same activity as a slow-moving ant colony, which is vastly more than a lot of other termites. I see termites on the surface all the time, exploring around and trying to find wood. Very fun to watch. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users