• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Favorite Store-bought Formicarium

formicarium store commercial nest antscanada tarheelants

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted April 11 2017 - 12:14 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
What is your favorite brand and/or model of store-bought formicariums and why?

I am new to the hobby and have never kept ants before. I may make my own formicariums in the future, but would like to start with a well tested, store-bought option. I currently have two Solenopsis invicta queens in test tube setups (only species I have found so far) and know I will need a formicarium soon. I would love to catch Tetramorium, Camponotus, and Odontomachus queens eventually (all three live in my area).

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 11 2017 - 12:31 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I am new to the hobby and have never kept ants before. I may make my own formicariums in the future, but would like to start with a well tested, store-bought option.

Ants are such an exotic pet, anything you buy, no matter how long the vendor has been in business, is considered experimental. Ants are also diverse in their size, behavior, and environmental preferences, so care must be taken to obtain a formicarium that is precisely tailored for the intended inhabitants.

Above all else, keep in mind that a formicarium is simply a tool; and like any tool, its utility will depend almost as heavily on the skill and expertise of the operator, as much as the craftsmanship of the tool itself.

Edited by drtrmiller, April 19 2017 - 3:36 AM.

• Kevin likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted April 11 2017 - 1:05 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

i recommend anttopia.com or 117colonies.com 

• T.C. and PurdueEntomology like this

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#4 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 11 2017 - 2:08 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Antopia or THA

YJK

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted April 11 2017 - 3:13 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
More important than the actual manufacturer is that the setup serves the needs of your ants.

Camponotus are probably the easiest to care for as their nests barely need any watering cause they can live fine at room humidity (should be kept in a test tube anyway).
Also they grow very slow during the first (and often second) year and probably won't need a big nest for quite some time. If you keep them in acrylic or printed nests I'd recommend to apply a small base layer of sand-clay mix so the ants have an easier time walking inside the nest (it also gives their larvae anchor points for the silk strains when they start to pupate).

Tetramorium are very adaptable and can live with a wide range of conditions from dry to wet (nest should be a bit moist though). They grow quickly but can be a bit difficult to found from what I've heard.

Odontomachus are very picky and probably need a soil setup as well as perfectly sized LIVING prey.

Edited by Serafine, April 11 2017 - 3:15 PM.

• jdsaunders1390 likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline Spamdy - Posted April 18 2017 - 4:04 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Recommend Tar Heel Ants, a bit pricey but naturalistic look at quality, Anttopia haven't tried theirs but looks good!

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, store, commercial, nest, antscanada, tarheelants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users