• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania- April 9, 2017

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 10 2017 - 8:47 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

1. Location of collection: Horsham a suburb just outside of Philadlephia. 

2. Date of collection: April 9th, 2017.
3. Habitat of collection: The ants were found on reddish/orange, clay soil. The patch of the mound the ants were found on faces the SW direction, and the ants were seen in full sunlight.
4. Length: First worker: ~5 mm, Second Worker: ~2-3 mm
5. Coloration: The first worker looks to be a reddish/brownish warm hue with slightly lighter legs. The second was almost entirely pitch black but its gastric hairs seemed to appear fairly reflective at times, making it look slightly silverish/grey.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Nothing in particular. I would describe the first one as resembling a large, lighter tetramorium worker and the second as resembling a very, very small you Camponotus pennsylvanicus worker.
7. Anything else distinctive? Was on the lookout (or "smellout"  :P) for a particular odor out of the second, smaller worker. My brother claimed he smelled something, but I didn't.
8. Nest description: Holes in the slightly damp, dense dirt where they were caught.
9. Photos. Unfortunately, my iPhone didn't cooperate and I didn't get great photos of the ants. I did, however, manage to get a pretty good video if it helps: 

Note: I know the first, larger one is either Myrmica or Aphaenogaster, and I understand both of these are notoriously difficult to properly identify. I'm also fairly sure the second is Tapinoma, probably Tapinoma sessile, but I had no idea they were so little.

Thanks,

Void.

Edited by VoidElecent, April 10 2017 - 8:49 AM.

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 10 2017 - 9:04 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

The first one is myrmica second one could also be Lasius or Tapinoma

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 10 2017 - 4:49 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I would say Tapinoma sessile for the smaller one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users