• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Midwest Area Anting

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#61 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 23 2017 - 7:29 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

The Tetramorium nest(s) in my driverway were getting ready to swarm last night  - at about 10:20 there were a ton of workers and alates just inside the entrance to their nest.  It rained this morning, so I don't know if they had a chance to fly yet or not, but I'm hoping they fly before it rained and I can pick some up this evening.  It's literally rained every day for the past week... it needs to stop for a few days so they can fly!

#62 Offline Ameise - Posted June 23 2017 - 8:41 AM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Mine were swarming - getting ready as well, and then we had a few rainstorms in a row including a very heavy one. I didn't see them actually taking flight before that.

#63 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 23 2017 - 9:18 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Yeah, they were definitely starting to gather the night before last but then it rained... I'll have to check the pool when I can as when stuff flies I can almost always get at least one from there.

#64 Offline BMM - Posted June 23 2017 - 5:52 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

There was a request for some pictures of the Tetramorium tsushimae queens I caught, so here they are. T. tsushimae is supposed to be smaller and have longer spines. I measured the queens and the six of them range from 5.8mm-6.5mm. I've tried comparing my pictures with pictures of T. sp E/caespitum queens and I can't really tell a difference in the spines. Perhaps that's more noticeable on the workers.

0623071626a
0623071625a

• VoidElecent likes this

#65 Offline BMM - Posted June 28 2017 - 1:28 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Looks like we had another Tetramorium tsushimae flight today. Didn't catch them this morning, but there were dead queens all over the parking lot when I left work. 

#66 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 29 2017 - 6:11 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I still haven't found any Tetramorium yet in northern IL.  I've been watching them swarm at around 11 at night but then it always rains - we just had a HUGE rain last night so maybe they'll fly over the next couple days.

#67 Offline Martialis - Posted June 29 2017 - 9:21 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

T. tshumae mate in nest.

Spoiler

#68 Offline BMM - Posted June 29 2017 - 9:51 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

They likely do, but I'm nearly certain they fly as well. In addition to the queens I've been finding, I've read some info on Japanese forums and blogs that seems to confirm that they fly in early summer like T. sp E/caespitum.

#69 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 29 2017 - 12:27 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Tetremorium sp e, Pheidole pilifera, and tetremorium curvispinosis afe flying near Modale, Iowa.

#70 Offline Ameise - Posted June 29 2017 - 6:23 PM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I still haven't found any Tetramorium yet in northern IL.  I've been watching them swarm at around 11 at night but then it always rains - we just had a HUGE rain last night so maybe they'll fly over the next couple days.

Unfortunately it's raining right now as well. It either is cool after rain, or it's hot but then rains again.

#71 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 30 2017 - 6:39 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Has anyone found/seen any Pheidole in Illinois?  I would love to get some and supposedly they live here.  I think it's getting close to when most Pheidole are flying.

#72 Offline Ameise - Posted June 30 2017 - 7:25 AM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Which species in particular?

#73 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 30 2017 - 7:31 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Any Pheidole - according to Antmaps there are 4 species :

Pheidole bicarinata
Pheidole dentata
Pheidole morrisii
Pheidole pilifera

But any kind would be cool.

#74 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 5 2017 - 6:55 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Tetramorium flew in northern Illinois this weekend - I was actually out of town and came back Monday and checked the pool and found 3 queens.  I found a 4th queen wandering around in the grass yesterday.

I'm guessing that they flew Saturday.

#75 Offline Mdrogun - Posted July 5 2017 - 7:47 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I got up early on Monday, like 5:20, and witnessed 6 or 7 nuptial flights just walking around the block. I also caught 44 queens, there were tons more, but who needs that many?  :lol:

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#76 Offline Martialis - Posted July 5 2017 - 8:01 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I should REALLY get up earlier.. :P

Spoiler

#77 Offline Ameise - Posted July 6 2017 - 9:41 PM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Tetramorium flew in northern Illinois this weekend - I was actually out of town and came back Monday and checked the pool and found 3 queens.  I found a 4th queen wandering around in the grass yesterday.

I'm guessing that they flew Saturday.

I caught ~30.

#78 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 21 2017 - 6:19 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

There was another Tetramorium flight in the past couple days, found a bunch of dead ones in the pool.  Formica Pallidefulva? (copper colored formica) also flew as well - I found 1 dead one in the pool and another one with larvae in a founding chamber underneath a rock.  This was in Northern Illinois.

#79 Offline Ameise - Posted July 21 2017 - 6:46 AM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

There was another Tetramorium flight in the past couple days, found a bunch of dead ones in the pool.  Formica Pallidefulva? (copper colored formica) also flew as well - I found 1 dead one in the pool and another one with larvae in a founding chamber underneath a rock.  This was in Northern Illinois.

The copper-colored ones are a PITA. About half of the ones I catch die within a day.

#80 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 21 2017 - 7:00 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

The copper-colored ones are a PITA. About half of the ones I catch die within a day.

Dang, that stinks - I had my hopes up that the 1 I caught with larvae would do well but when I was about to transfer the larvae over it was gone... it sucks!  My Aphaenogaster colony is starting to get alates, so I think that they will be flying fairly soon.

I also managed to find 4 C. Pennsylvanicus with pupae all in the same log - I can't believe how close they had nesting chambers, as soon as I lifted the log 2 of them immediately started fighting.  I suppose it's good that I managed to collect them, though, as I'm sure once the first workers hatched they would have started fighting and 1 colony would have been left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users