• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica sibylla

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 4 2018 - 3:08 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I had a small colony of these ants, 3 workers and a decent pile of eggs and a few larvae. But this morning argentine ants broke through and killed all the workers and brood. The queen was being swarmed and had both antennae clipped off. I managed to rescue her. I doubt she will live, but I'm starting this journal to experiment with ways to keep crippled queens. Feeding will be difficult, as she has no antennae.

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 4 2018 - 3:29 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Once an ant loses its antennae they just stop doing things entirely. I'm not sure how this would work with a queen though.

• LC3 likes this

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 4 2018 - 4:31 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I honestly think the argentines target the antennae. There's not even stubs left.

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 5 2018 - 9:38 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Somehow, she managed to find the honey in the tube and drank all of it. I have to clean the tube after every feeding though, as she smears it all over. Not sure how to feed her protein. It's kind of sad watching her.

#5 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 5 2018 - 10:16 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Aww... that’s so sad! I hope she makes it! If she gets workers, they will care for her! Best of luck!

Spoiler

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 5 2018 - 10:46 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yeah, she stumbles around and can't tell there's a plastic wall in front of her.

#7 Offline KBant - Posted July 5 2018 - 12:41 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Just put her out of her misery. Make it quick. Boiling hot water or a quick stomp. She is not going to make it. Ants use their antenna to smell, and she will probably eat any eggs she lays because she won’t be able to smell them as being part of her own colony.

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 6 2018 - 11:09 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I don't expect her to, I just want to see what happens. 

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 25 2018 - 4:34 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Forgot about this. She made it for a few weeks, drinking honey every half week. Eventually she curled up in the corner and died despite having a full gaster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users