• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Preferred test tube and where to buy it

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antlover31 - Posted April 7 2017 - 11:33 AM

Antlover31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationPoconos, Pennsylvania, United States
This is my second season in catching ants. What test tube do you prefer for test tube setup? Will this work:
http://m.carolina.co...47.pr?question=
Or
http://m.carolina.co...75.pr?question=

Billy Washenik  (y) 

Cell: (570) 517-6160

e-Mail: myrmefun@gmail.com

#2 Offline Vanko - Posted April 7 2017 - 12:11 PM

Vanko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPlovdiv, Bulgaria
I would recommend you to buy 2 types of test tubes - one with diameter about 10-12 mms, so you could put smaller ant queens inside; one with diameter 16-18 mm for bigger queens. The best place to buy test tubes is at store, specialized at selling laboratory equipment. They are very cheap and you will also know that they have a good quality. Prices in Bulgaria are about 0.25 levs per tube. I guess you will find 100 for less than 20€. If you catch any queens this year (and you live in Europe) and that way you won't be at a loss.
😛 🐜 😛

#3 Offline Kevin - Posted April 7 2017 - 12:14 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

lcmlabs.com is the best site for test tubes. I prefer 16x125mm PS tubes for they won't shatter when dropped :P

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 7 2017 - 12:14 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

95% of ant keepers use 16 mm tubes. Best deal: https://www.lcmlab.c...6_p/41a20-w.htm

I prefer glass over plastic due to more visiblity and less of a fire hazard when heating them. It also forces you to be a little more careful with the ants inside them since glass is easily breakable.  :P

#5 Offline Mdrogun - Posted April 7 2017 - 12:15 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I would recommend you to buy 2 types of test tubes - one with diameter about 10-12 mms, so you could put smaller ant queens inside; one with diameter 16-18 mm for bigger queens. The best place to buy test tubes is at store, specialized at selling laboratory equipment. They are very cheap and you will also know that they have a good quality. Prices in Bulgaria are about 0.25 levs per tube. I guess you will find 100 for less than 20€. If you catch any queens this year (and you live in Europe) and that way you won't be at a loss.

Antlover is in PA (A U.S. state).

• Nathant2131 likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 9 2017 - 3:09 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

95% of ant keepers use 16 mm tubes. Best deal: https://www.lcmlab.c...6_p/41a20-w.htm

I prefer glass over plastic due to more visiblity and less of a fire hazard when heating them. It also forces you to be a little more careful with the ants inside them since glass is easily breakable.  :P

Yep, So do I.

YJK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users