• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Suspected C. Worker ID Request (Florida)

Best Answer Cindy , April 6 2017 - 6:10 PM

If the head and thorax are darkish red and the gaster is black, there is a very good chance of it being Camponotus Floridanus. I can't confirm w/o a better picture, but if your phone quality isn't great you can compare it with some of these pics and see if it matches yours.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline super_oil - Posted April 6 2017 - 5:39 PM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

There is a lot of these ants in my backyard, I think they're Camponotus but they're pretty small (minors are about 5mm long and majors are around 7mm). I really hope that they are Camponotus workers because I want to ketch a C. queen this year. 

http://imgur.com/aQfPUN5

• thosaka likes this

Just a little boy that likes ants. I try my best to be mature and competent.

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted April 6 2017 - 5:43 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

We can hardly tell that it's an ant, we would need clearer pictures of side views and head views.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 6 2017 - 5:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What picture?

#4 Offline Cindy - Posted April 6 2017 - 5:49 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA
Side pic please.

#5 Offline super_oil - Posted April 6 2017 - 5:51 PM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

We can hardly tell that it's an ant, we would need clearer pictures of side views and head views.

Heres another picture that might be a little better  http://imgur.com/vF9Abe9

Some useful extra info include : They love feeding on nectar and they follow each other in a conga line while foraging.

Also the way you interpreted the response triggers me, the ant is very small, I tried my best to take a picture with a phone, I think it went well and you can pretty clearly see that it's an ant but you sounded kind of mean so it sort of annoyed me, no offense.

Edited by super_oil, April 6 2017 - 5:52 PM.

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

#6 Offline super_oil - Posted April 6 2017 - 5:55 PM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Sorry if I'm doing things wrong, I'm not typically good at anything.

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

#7 Offline super_oil - Posted April 6 2017 - 6:02 PM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Heres the information according to the template

1. Location of collection: My backyard, Florida, Jacksonville
2. Date of collection: 4/6
3. Habitat of collection: Backyard
4. Length (from head to gaster): about 5mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Not very shiny, black and red
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Looks kind of like a carpenter ant,
7. Distinguishing behavior: Likes flower nectar, follows each other when foraging
8. Nest description: I can't find their nest

vF9Abe9.jpg

Edited by super_oil, April 6 2017 - 6:04 PM.

• thosaka likes this

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

#8 Offline Cindy - Posted April 6 2017 - 6:10 PM   Best Answer

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

If the head and thorax are darkish red and the gaster is black, there is a very good chance of it being Camponotus Floridanus. I can't confirm w/o a better picture, but if your phone quality isn't great you can compare it with some of these pics and see if it matches yours.

• super_oil likes this

#9 Offline super_oil - Posted April 6 2017 - 6:24 PM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

This is definitely not a C. floridanus due to it's small size of only 5mm (I think I've seen a C. floridanus minor and it is over 10mm long with a much more skinny body), but after reading the information you posted, It had a hyperlink which directed me to the information on C. planatus, I think this could very likely be a C. planatus. In the scale comparison it very perfectly sizes the worker I've caught (5mm). Thank you for directing me to that page!

• Cindy likes this

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

#10 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 6 2017 - 6:27 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Heres another picture that might be a little better  http://imgur.com/vF9Abe9

Some useful extra info include : They love feeding on nectar and they follow each other in a conga line while foraging.

Also the way you interpreted the response triggers me, the ant is very small, I tried my best to take a picture with a phone, I think it went well and you can pretty clearly see that it's an ant but you sounded kind of mean so it sort of annoyed me, no offense.

I don't think Kevin was trying to be rude, and he does have a point. I would recommend snapping a couple pictures from different angles (you want to get a couple from the side) and maybe a couple more in some better lighting, so we can get a better sense of the coloration.

The shape makes it look like either Camponotus or Formica, but we'll have to do a little more digging to determine the actually species.

• Cindy likes this

#11 Offline super_oil - Posted April 6 2017 - 6:33 PM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

This is definitely not a C. floridanus due to it's small size of only 5mm (I think I've seen a C. floridanus minor and it is over 10mm long with a much more skinny body), but after reading the information you posted, It had a hyperlink which directed me to the information on C. planatus, I think this could very likely be a C. planatus. In the scale comparison it very perfectly sizes the worker I've caught (5mm). Thank you for directing me to that page!

That being said, there is only one video on youtube currently about C. planatus, so it would be very intresting to be one of the first people to document on a C. planatus colony in captivity.

Also here is the link to the page: http://entnemdept.uf.../c_planatus.htm

Edited by super_oil, April 6 2017 - 6:35 PM.

• Cindy likes this

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

#12 Offline Runner12 - Posted April 6 2017 - 6:56 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Looks like it might be Camponotus decipiens with that size and coloration, but could be planatus too, can you get some better pics? From above would help

Edited by Runner12, April 6 2017 - 6:57 PM.

#13 Offline super_oil - Posted April 6 2017 - 7:15 PM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Looks like it might be Camponotus decipiens with that size and coloration, but could be planatus too, can you get some better pics? From above would help

The thing is C. decipiens is pretty shiny yet this one isn't shiny at all, so I'm confirming it as planatus.

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users