• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Safe glue for ants

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline noobkeeper - Posted April 5 2017 - 11:24 AM

noobkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationItaly

Hello everybody!

I was in the process of making a new nest for my colony, and I was going to use a glue to stick the metal mesh (for hydration) to the structure.

But before making any stupid mistake, is polyacrylate-based glue safe for ants? My guess is yes, as it creates polymers and only the monomers are dangerous and can cause damage to the skin. Of course, I'm going to let it cure for a long time and even put some water on it just to make sure that all the monomers have become polymers.

So, will my ants be safe?

If anyone has experience with this type of glue, their help is much appreciated!  ;)

Edited by noobkeeper, April 5 2017 - 11:41 AM.

1x Tapinoma nigerrimum (4 queens) ~200 workers

9x Lasius sp. (founding)

#2 Offline Annexis - Posted April 5 2017 - 11:26 AM

Annexis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia

I would personally use something like Elmers glue, just for the fact that its non toxic and safe for consumption xD. 

#3 Offline Runner12 - Posted April 5 2017 - 11:28 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I've used hot glue from a glue gun without any problems. Silicon aquarium sealant once fully cured is safe too

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted April 5 2017 - 11:37 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Whatever you do do NOT use cyanoacrylate "super glue".

The fumes from this stuff can turn white when they get into contact with surfaces (crime investigation sometimes uses them to make fingerprint visible) and it can seriously ruin any transparent glass or plastic. Also it's probably not healthy for ants to chew on it.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 5 2017 - 11:47 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I use super glue on parts, and as serafine had mentioned, it creates a white residue that's not easy to remove. Otherwise, use a glue gun, or super glue in a well ventilated area.

I've used Gel Super glue in the aquarium trade in the past with 0 negative side effects. With coral we would section a piece of a colony off, apply gel glue to the coral and the plug, and immedietly submerge in the water...even with fish in it. Never had an issue, so i've always assumed it was fine for the ants.

Although, they do HATE the smell. But once it dries...drys..., you're good.

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted April 5 2017 - 12:06 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I use super glue on parts, and as serafine had mentioned, it creates a white residue that's not easy to remove.

You should use 2-component epoxy glue instead. Doesn't produce white shades on anything. I use it to glue and repair tabletop miniatures.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#7 Offline AkumaArtist - Posted April 26 2017 - 9:48 AM

AkumaArtist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSpain

I do use glue gun silicone,they don't like the smell like Loops said at the begging,but then they can live happily

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 26 2017 - 10:08 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

If you're patient and let silicone cure before adding ants to it, then there isn't a problem.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 26 2017 - 10:09 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#9 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 26 2017 - 10:12 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I was a 2-part epoxy user.  Haven't had any problems or downsides that I know of. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#10 Offline BMM - Posted April 26 2017 - 10:13 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Silicone sealant has worked fine for me.

#11 Offline KBant - Posted January 13 2018 - 11:33 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Any idea on how THA adds sand to the inside of his chambers? I’ve been trying to figure that out. he has such an even coat, it must be added after the grout./cement dries. A thin layer of grout over already hardened grout would just flake. do you know of any possible ways to add the sand to the inside of the chambers? perhaps super glue, if yes what's a good super glue i can use for formicaria. 

https://tarheelants....ducts/fortress 

notice the nice even layer of sand? i wish to replicate that! :)

Edited by KBant, January 13 2018 - 11:37 AM.

#12 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 17 2018 - 10:50 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
@KBant, What I think he does is one of three things:
1. He pours sand around his mold, and makes it so that when he pulls the product off of the mold, it retains the sand. For example, in a clay mold, he would loosely imbed a thin layer of sand in the clay, and then when he pulls off the finished formicarium from the mold, it retains some of the loose sand.
2. He uses sand to mold the Chambers, and then when the material dries, he washes it out. This will leave a clean coat over the interior surface
3. He has a mold, which is skeletal, as it's protruding surfaces for the Chambers are much smaller than the chamber will actually be. Then, he coats them in a thick layer of wet sand, which holds its shape, at least somewhat, and then pours the material. Then, similar to method 2, he would pull the formicarium out of the mold and wash it off, leaving an even coat of sand on all surfaces of the cement, grout, or whatever he uses (I don't think very many people know the exact composition).

I could very well be wrong though.

As for the glue question, hot glue and aquarium safe silicone work well. Sometimes I use grout to seal cracks, but I would stick to silicone and hot glue. The thing about hot glue is it doesn't stick to grout and firebrick all the time. Sometimes it works, other times it pops right off. As other people have said, Elmer's glue works fine as well, just allow it to dry before using whatever you applied the glue to with ants.
  • KBant likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users