• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID. Michigan 4/3/2017 Aphaenogaster? Myrmica?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 3 2017 - 8:12 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Hey guys. I’m back at it again with an ID and not knowing what I'm doing.

I has this queen that was caught during a flight last year. She’s small 5~6mm in length. I originally thought she was Aphaenogaster but not anymore. She’s dwarfed by my A.picea queens, and her workers are half the size of my A.picea workers. She also has a slightly different shape.

Possible myrmica?

1. Location of collection: Nuptial flight. Northern Michigan. USA

2. Date of collection: Unknown
3. Habitat of collection Unknown

4. Length 4~6mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture Dark brown/red. Very course head and thorax, smooth gaster.
6. Distinguishing characteristics Unknown
7. Anything else distinctive No odor
8. Nest description Unknown
9 . Post the clearest pictures possible of the top, side, and face of the ant in question, and if possible, their nest and the habitat they were collected in.

20170224_190242.jpg

20170224_190247.jpg

20170224_190354.jpg

I’ll get more pictures soon.

#2 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted April 3 2017 - 8:53 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

I'll start this off by saying I'm no expert, just doing my best to help.

After conducting some quick research I stumbled across this picture on Alex Wild's website:

It has the same coloration and nodes as your queen. 

Edit: He ID'ed it as a Myrmica queen. http://www.alexander...ica/i-6sKm2zX/A

Myrmica Sp1 XL - Alex wild

Edited by Bracchymyrmex, April 3 2017 - 8:54 AM.

#3 Offline Jaaron - Posted April 3 2017 - 9:41 AM

Jaaron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Ohio

M. americana?

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 3 2017 - 9:54 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You can almost never ID Myrmica to the species without a microscope.

• LC3, Martialis and Nathant2131 like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline Jaaron - Posted April 3 2017 - 9:58 AM

Jaaron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Ohio

No doubt. Hence the question mark.

#6 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 3 2017 - 10:01 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

That's what i figured. I'm going to see if i can get any better photos.

Thank you guys

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 3 2017 - 10:07 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

There might be a lead if you can get a good image of the propodeal spines (preferable from a worker) and see if there is a clypeal notch.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 3 2017 - 10:08 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#8 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 3 2017 - 10:11 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

There might be a lead if you can get a good image of the propodeal spines (preferable from a worker) and see if there is a clypeal notch.

I will get some new photos today. The problem is that they mucked up their tube big time and won't come out.

#9 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 3 2017 - 10:21 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Is their any different behavior i could watch out for? So far i'm good at keeping my Aphaenogaster picea colony and queens happy. Are myrmica pretty much the same?

#10 Offline Salmon - Posted April 3 2017 - 4:14 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Myrmica are semi claustral.

#11 Offline James C. Trager - Posted April 4 2017 - 5:56 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Definitely not M. americana, with those short propodeal spines and evenly curved antennal scapes. This may be M. brevispinosa, but we await images of the workers.

#12 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 4 2017 - 6:17 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Definitely not M. americana, with those short propodeal spines and evenly curved antennal scapes. This may be M. brevispinosa, but we await images of the workers.

I will have to get some better pictures. I attempted to get better photos last night but the visibility through their current tube is very poor. I started to switch them to a new tube last night and they were moved over this morning with just a couple workers in the old tube. New tube should allow for better quality photos. sorry for the delay.

20170403_192928.jpg

#13 Offline Jaaron - Posted April 4 2017 - 1:07 PM

Jaaron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Ohio

Is  M. brevispinosa not a sub of M. americana

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted April 4 2017 - 8:07 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I will have to get some better pictures. I attempted to get better photos last night but the visibility through their current tube is very poor. I started to switch them to a new tube last night and they were moved over this morning with just a couple workers in the old tube. New tube should allow for better quality photos. sorry for the delay.

20170403_192928.jpg

Giving that formisazine, a try huh? I am excited to see if it works well, so I can get some.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#15 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 6 2017 - 4:55 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Ok guys. Transfer was finished and i was able to take some photos of the colony.

They're not the best, but they should work. Tell me what you think.

20170405_184614.jpg

20170405_184636.jpg
20170405_184637.jpg
20170405_184638.jpg
20170405_184640.jpg
20170405_184711.jpg20170405_184711.jpg
20170405_185015.jpg20170405_185016.jpg
20170405_185017_0.jpg20170405_185017.jpg
20170405_185027.jpg

• Martialis likes this

#16 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 6 2017 - 6:57 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

This propodeal spines are pretty small, and there *may be* a clypeal notch. These features would not confirm Myrmica brevispinosa, even if they were both visible, but this is at least a lead for you or somebody else to investigate at a later time, with a dead worker and a microscope. DoctorAnt might be able to eyeball them, who knows.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 6 2017 - 6:59 AM.

----

#17 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 6 2017 - 7:13 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

This propodeal spines are pretty small, and there *may be* a clypeal notch. These features would not confirm Myrmica brevispinosa, even if they were both visible, but this is at least a lead for you or somebody else to investigate at a later time, with a dead worker and a microscope. DoctorAnt might be able to eyeball them, who knows.

Buuut, would you be able to tell me if they're Myrmica or Aphaenogaster?

If so, how are you able to tell the difference? I looked at some of the drawings and i can't make much sense of them when comparing them to my photos.

#18 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 6 2017 - 7:36 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

If so, how are you able to tell the difference? I looked at some of the drawings and i can't make much sense of them when comparing them to my photos.

Oh, they're definitely Myrmica. In my own, layman's terms, notice how, in Myrmica, the mesosoma slopes gradually to the propodeum, while in Aphaenogaster, the "waisted ant", the height of the mesosoma plunges dramatically just before the propodeum. It's a little like the difference between workers of Camponotus (sloped) and Formica (bent).

• Nathant2131 likes this

----

#19 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 6 2017 - 8:04 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Oh, they're definitely Myrmica. In my own, layman's terms, notice how, in Myrmica, the mesosoma slopes gradually to the propodeum, while in Aphaenogaster, the "waisted ant", the height of the mesosoma plunges dramatically just before the propodeum. It's a little like the difference between workers of Camponotus (sloped) and Formica (bent).

So the "arched" back the Aphaenogaster and the "flat" styled back of the Myrmica were good indicators for a different species. That was the first thing i noticed about them.

Thank you very much. I will keep this in mind and include this information when IDing future species.

#20 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 6 2017 - 8:46 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

So the "arched" back the Aphaenogaster and the "flat" styled back of the Myrmica were good indicators for a different species. That was the first thing i noticed about them.

Thank you very much. I will keep this in mind and include this information when IDing future species.

Good indicators for a different genus. ;)

• Karma likes this

----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users