• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Pinkomyrmex floyderus Journal

69 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 1 2017 - 12:21 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I found a Pinkomyrmex floyderus queen last January underneath a log. Here is the original thread of where I found it.

Right now, I have her in a relatively small metal storage container. She has a nice pile of eggs and some leftover humpback whale stakes. Here is a picture of when I checked on her earlier today:

QTvhx9j.jpg

The water reservoir is way in the back so you can't see it. Hope she does good on me since this species is rather elusive.

Edited by Nathant2131, May 13 2017 - 3:16 AM.

• ctantkeeper, Loops117, noebl1 and 6 others like this

#2 Offline SirAnticus - Posted April 1 2017 - 12:51 PM

SirAnticus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Lucky!!! I've been looking for this species for months!!!

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted April 1 2017 - 1:02 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

She's a real beauty.

Is it normal that the eggs have different colors? I think I've read that they lay egg-shaped stones into the nests so when predators bite into the stone eggs they ruin their teeth and run away to lick their wounds. Quite clever buggers.

Also she still seems to have her wings, you're sure she's fertile?

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 1 2017 - 3:25 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Lucky!!! I've been looking for this species for months!!!

Their distribution is quite patchy but they tend to lean more towards temperate climates.

• Martialis, Antkeeper01 and The_Gaming-gate like this

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 1 2017 - 3:27 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

She's a real beauty.

Is it normal that the eggs have different colors? I think I've read that they lay egg-shaped stones into the nests so when predators bite into the stone eggs they ruin their teeth and run away to lick their wounds. Quite clever buggers.

Also she still seems to have her wings, you're sure she's fertile?

I think she's fertile. She appears to be guarding the eggs well.

I may be wrong but I remember reading that the workers are usually winged and actually inbreed inside the nest, which will be great since this species seems very slow from the start.

• Martialis likes this

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 1 2017 - 5:53 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

She is definitely fertile, don't worry about that.

As a Pinkomyrmex expert, I have some useful tips for you. For one, you may want to feel those humpbacks whole. For science reasons, Pinkomyrmex species (P. floyderus, especially) tend to respond better to raw protein. I would also recommend pouring a glass of whiskey with a couple ice cubes for the queen about once every two or three weeks, the alcohol actually speeds up brood production. Usually these queens respond better to more expensive whiskeys, but Pinkomyrmex floyderus have a unique fondness of Jack Daniels. Other Pinkomyrmex species, such as Martialis' Pinkomyrmex kiwicus tend to appreciate Blue & Black label a little more.

Nice job on your queen so far, she's a beauty for sure.

Edited by VoidElecent, April 1 2017 - 5:54 PM.

• Martialis, Nathant2131 and thosaka like this

#7 Offline Leo - Posted April 1 2017 - 6:02 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

a beautiful species my friend

• Martialis and Nathant2131 like this

#8 Offline Antking117 - Posted April 2 2017 - 1:18 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

When those eggs hatch you are going to need to up-size soon! These do expand into large colonies very quickly! I recommend either a basement or a bunker of some sort! The P. floyderus is a very destructive creature and normal wooden, acrylic, or glass formicariums just will not do!

• Nathant2131 likes this

#9 Offline Serafine - Posted April 2 2017 - 3:24 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
You might wanna look into your own humpback farm at some point. Larger colonies can be voracious eaters.
  • Nathant2131 likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#10 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 2 2017 - 7:45 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Oh my god. I have been wanting this species for 30 years! I will buy for $999.99 Pesos
  • thosaka likes this

YJK

#11 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 2 2017 - 7:46 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Oh my god. I have been wanting this species for 30 years! I will buy for $999.99 Pesos

No! 

#12 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 2 2017 - 7:47 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
Whyy!!!! Would 999.999 work?

YJK

#13 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 2 2017 - 7:47 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Whyy!!!! Would 999.999 work?

No!

#14 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 2 2017 - 7:48 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
Okay okay... I know you will take 1000

YJK

#15 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 2 2017 - 7:48 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Okay okay... I know you will take 1000

No!

• Martialis likes this

#16 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 2 2017 - 7:50 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

She is definitely fertile, don't worry about that.

As a Pinkomyrmex expert, I have some useful tips for you. For one, you may want to feel those humpbacks whole. For science reasons, Pinkomyrmex species (P. floyderus, especially) tend to respond better to raw protein. I would also recommend pouring a glass of whiskey with a couple ice cubes for the queen about once every two or three weeks, the alcohol actually speeds up brood production. Usually these queens respond better to more expensive whiskeys, but Pinkomyrmex floyderus have a unique fondness of Jack Daniels. Other Pinkomyrmex species, such as Martialis' Pinkomyrmex kiwicus tend to appreciate Blue & Black label a little more.

Nice job on your queen so far, she's a beauty for sure.

I did feed the humpback whole. It was just almost gone when I checked on her.

Thanks for the info.

• Martialis likes this

#17 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 4 2017 - 2:42 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

You might wanna look into your own humpback farm at some point. Larger colonies can be voracious eaters.

They look fairly easy to breed. Maybe.
  • Martialis likes this

#18 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 5 2017 - 6:51 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
Hmmmm
Humpback whale breeding needs 78 permits. I recommend you just buy from a breeder. Never buy from WhaleStakes.com because they harass their whales.

YJK

#19 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 5 2017 - 9:42 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

They look fairly easy to breed. Maybe.

Hmmmm
Humpback whale breeding needs 78 permits. I recommend you just buy from a breeder. Never buy from WhaleStakes.com because they harass their whales.

Humpback farms are a very popular topic of conversation in the Pinkomyrmex community. Given my direct relationship & involvement with this community, I'd be willing to share a little about what I know. First, I would definitley recommend investing in one of these farms; they can be slightly difficult to maintain but in the end they're worth it.

The logistics are surprising not nearly as complicated as one may expect. The 'seventy-eight' permit myth is a common misconception, as this only applies to breeding & keeping blue whales (which Pinkomyrmex kiwicus prefer; good luck Martialis :P), For P. floyderus humpback farms, you only need a couple. A big setback for most people is actually the physical size of the farms. Some keepers keep their whales in areas that measure out to around 1-2 mi2, but I prefer to breed them in slightly large spaces. My farm is roughly 62.46x106 mi2, right in between California and Japan.

There are a couple other setbacks, but none as significant as the size limitations. I would agree with Alabama Anter as well, never purchase from 'Whalestakes.com". For one, they deliver steaks which P. floyderus don't appreciate as much as the whales whole, two, they do exhibit particularly harmful keeping & maintenance techniques, and three, they're not really too great with the whole spelling thing.

If you get past the size limitation, give me a shout so we can further discuss some keeping requirements. The guy who sold me my space actually actually recommended some prime real-estate available somewhere between the East Coast of the U.S. and England. Let me know how it works out for you. Click here for a little more information about the space, if you're interested.

Edited by VoidElecent, April 5 2017 - 9:45 AM.

• Martialis likes this

#20 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 5 2017 - 9:54 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
Thanks so much for the help Void. I'm looking at this body of water called the "Pacific Ocean" which appears even larger than your space. I think I'll get the whales from a breeder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users