• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Pinkomyrmex floyderus Journal

69 replies to this topic

#21 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 5 2017 - 9:58 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Thanks so much for the help Void. I'm looking at this body of water called the "Pacific Ocean" which appears even larger than your space. I think I'll get the whales from a breeder.

That is my space.

#22 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 5 2017 - 10:00 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Whoops I meant Atlantic

#23 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 5 2017 - 12:55 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

You should double check with Dr. VoidElecent about this, but is it true that Pinkomyrmex species LOVE this music?  

• Martialis likes this

YJK

#24 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 5 2017 - 3:36 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

You should double check with Dr. VoidElecent about this, but is it true that Pinkomyrmex species LOVE this music?  

They don't "LOVE" this music, although they do tolerate it. They are, in fact, particularly fond of this music.

• Martialis likes this

#25 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 5 2017 - 3:39 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Whoops I meant Atlantic

Sounds good luck. I'm looking forward to see how it goes.

#26 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 5 2017 - 3:47 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I literally just realized the name referance just now.  :facepalm:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Martialis and VoidElecent like this

#27 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 5 2017 - 4:18 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

I literally just realized the name referance just now.  :facepalm:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Oh lord Nathan.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#28 Offline Martialis - Posted April 5 2017 - 4:29 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Hey guys- would I be able to keep my blues in the arctic/pacific ocean border? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and yes, I have 79 permits.

Edited by Martialis, April 5 2017 - 4:29 PM.

Spoiler

#29 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 5 2017 - 5:06 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Hey guys- would I be able to keep my blues in the arctic/pacific ocean border? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and yes, I have 79 permits.

You actually only need a couple square feet for a blue whale farm, but you could definitely share some of my space if you'd like. I'm sure Nathan wouldn't have a problem, either. Glad you have the permits, that's the tedious part.

Edited by VoidElecent, April 5 2017 - 5:06 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#30 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 5 2017 - 7:12 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Martialis I have some bad news. The GWFPA (Global Whale Farming Protection Agency) and The WSSM (Whale Steak Stock Market) have made keeping blue whales ILLEGAL without an additional 999.999 permits. 

YJK

#31 Offline Martialis - Posted April 5 2017 - 7:17 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Martialis I have some bad news. The GWFPA (Global Whale Farming Protection Agency) and The WSSM (Whale Steak Stock Market) have made keeping blue whales ILLEGAL without an additional 999.999 permits. 

Yeah, I saw that.. I paid an extra .01 to make sure they didn't make me buy any more permits.

Spoiler

#32 Offline Annexis - Posted April 5 2017 - 7:26 PM

Annexis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia

Guys! Don't believe this crap. The Pinkomyrmex Floyderus has been extinct for 30 years from now being the last known sighting was in 1987 in AUSTRALIA. This is obviously a photoshopped picture from an old captured P. Floyderus that died 30 years ago. I can tell this because of the eggs that it supposedly "laid". You see P. Florderus have greenish black eggs that are shaped like a trapezoid at most times but can sometimes be seen looking like a chicken egg. Do NOT believe this stuff its just a hoax to try and make money off a false claim. Please I beg of you, don't give this man money, he cannot be trusted!

#33 Offline Serafine - Posted April 5 2017 - 10:55 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Thanks so much for the help Void. I'm looking at this body of water called the "Pacific Ocean" which appears even larger than your space. I think I'll get the whales from a breeder.

There's also this place. It's a bit far off but then it's very quiet and natural, so the humpbacks and Pinkomyrmex don't get disturbed too much. There's even speculations that humpbacks are actually an invasive species that originated from there. It's a bit cold for Pinkomyrmex though, so you'd require a strong heating cable for the nest (a generation V 3MW nuclear reactor should do).

• Martialis likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#34 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 6 2017 - 2:36 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Guys! Don't believe this crap. The Pinkomyrmex Floyderus has been extinct for 30 years from now being the last known sighting was in 1987 in AUSTRALIA. This is obviously a photoshopped picture from an old captured P. Floyderus that died 30 years ago. I can tell this because of the eggs that it supposedly "laid". You see P. Florderus have greenish black eggs that are shaped like a trapezoid at most times but can sometimes be seen looking like a chicken egg. Do NOT believe this stuff its just a hoax to try and make money off a false claim. Please I beg of you, don't give this man money, he cannot be trusted!

I'm about to "extinct" you, Annexis.

#35 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 6 2017 - 2:38 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

There's also this place. It's a bit far off but then it's very quiet and natural, so the humpbacks and Pinkomyrmex don't get disturbed too much. There's even speculations that humpbacks are actually an invasive species that originated from there. It's a bit cold for Pinkomyrmex though, so you'd require a strong heating cable for the nest (a generation V 3MW nuclear reactor should do).

The "Arctic Ocean" has plenty of space but I would need a nuclear powered heat cable. I think this will do actually.

#36 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 6 2017 - 2:42 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I bought the "500,000,000,000,000 watt Heat Ball v.3.5" Should provide a nice heat gradient.

Edited by Nathant2131, April 17 2017 - 5:26 AM.

#37 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 6 2017 - 4:48 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
[quote name="Annexis" post="56547" timestamp="1491449211"]

Guys! Don't believe this crap. The Pinkomyrmex Floyderus has been extinct for 30 years from now being the last known sighting was in 1987 in AUSTRALIA. This is obviously a photoshopped picture from an old captured P. Floyderus that died 30 years ago. I can tell this because of the eggs that it supposedly "laid". You see P. Florderus have greenish black eggs that are shaped like a trapezoid at most times but can sometimes be seen looking like a chicken egg. Do NOT believe this stuff its just a hoax to try and make money off a false claim. Please I beg of you, don't give this man money, he cannot be trusted![/quote/]
Actually, there are many variants of this species. That was the AU variant that went extinct due to VoidElecent selling them all. Nathan has the USA variant.

YJK

#38 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 6 2017 - 10:29 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
[quote name="Alabama Anter" post="56576" timestamp="1491482901"][quote name="Annexis" post="56547" timestamp="1491449211"]
Guys! Don't believe this crap. The Pinkomyrmex Floyderus has been extinct for 30 years from now being the last known sighting was in 1987 in AUSTRALIA. This is obviously a photoshopped picture from an old captured P. Floyderus that died 30 years ago. I can tell this because of the eggs that it supposedly "laid". You see P. Florderus have greenish black eggs that are shaped like a trapezoid at most times but can sometimes be seen looking like a chicken egg. Do NOT believe this stuff its just a hoax to try and make money off a false claim. Please I beg of you, don't give this man money, he cannot be trusted![/quote/]
Actually, there are many variants of this species. That was the AU variant that went extinct due to VoidElecent selling them all. Nathan has the USA variant.[/quote]

Yea, aren't there a few subspecies?

#39 Offline OmniusClone - Posted April 6 2017 - 10:52 PM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA
Indeed, there are Nathant2131.
Here on the coast we have to deal with the fairly aggressive subspecies P. floyderous obscuratus. While not very numerous, they make up for it in sheer audacity and strength. They're known for raiding the elephant seals up north and carrying off whole harems from under the bulls' nose. This understandably puts a lot of pressure on the herd, and is what's actually responsible for the in-fighting you normally see on Animal Planet. A stress reaction that they call "mating and dominance rituals".
Local restaurants have trouble with them as well. It isn't uncommon to find them gutting the interior of a walk in fridge for the whale slabs kept inside.
Just as an aside, I must admit that whale steaks are delicious, if a bit fatty.
I can also comment on the keeping of whales as feeders. You really don't need all that much space. Around here, the humpbacks are kept nose down with the head in a easy-feed trough of krill. Crews take shifts wetting them down, and it isn't all that much of a hassle. It's sort of like veal. :) The upside is that you only need a fraction of the space most free-range whalers need to meet production requirements. On the downside, you do have to essentially start a small business.
But hey! Free whale steaks for you,possibly a deal with a French perfumery, and a long term solution to feeding your P. floyderous. :)
  • Martialis and Nathant2131 like this

#40 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 10 2017 - 1:07 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

We in the South have a sub species called P. floyderous rebellious. Like the South, it is quite rowdy and annoying. Destroying other P. floyderous nests. Their main weapon of choice is the AK-9000.

YJK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users