• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nuptial Flight Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lukas2021 - Posted May 1 2017 - 6:30 PM

Lukas2021

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Nuptial flight season is coming up, and I wish to catch a variety of queens, but would love a Crematogaster. I have a developed colony of them outside and to get them to produce reproductives I will feed them, but I need to catch them far enough away where they have mated. Any advice?

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 1 2017 - 6:50 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

There are usually lots of Crematogaster which nest out of view. I seldom see the workers at ground-level, but I find plenty of alates during their (northerly) mating season in August and September.

• Nathant2131 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Lukas2021 - Posted May 2 2017 - 10:29 AM

Lukas2021

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
So where would I look to find fertile females?
In trees?
Could I set up a Black light?
Also, when do Crematogaster fly (i.e. morning, after rain, hot days)

#4 Offline NikolaBale - Posted May 4 2017 - 12:34 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

So where would I look to find fertile females?
In trees?
Could I set up a Black light?
Also, when do Crematogaster fly (i.e. morning, after rain, hot days)

Crematogasters are very versatile they nest in trees , pavement,the ground,under rocks.So there's rly no telling where you can find crematogaster.But if you time it right you can find cromatogaster queens wandering like every other queen. Look for them a day after a rainy day when its rly sunny and all that moisture starts to evaporate that's when they come out.

Edited by NikolaBale, May 4 2017 - 12:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users