• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wild colonies for fun! (Prenolepis imparis inside!)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 18 2017 - 7:12 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Been watching others and their progress with caring for wild colonies. Been interested in doing it myself, but never quite realized why anyone keeping ants would want to care for a wild colony they're not keeping. It didn't make sense until i came across a couple small hills in my backyard the other day while setting up the trampoline. I looked closely, and i couldn't quite ID this species but they are cool. I returned a few times to their hills just to watch them do their normal routines. It was actually really interesting watching ants do what they naturally do rather then being in a box.

Yesterday i gave them a byformica feeder with sunburst in it to see how they react.

And after that, i understood why anyone would want to care for a wild colony.

Edited by Loops117, April 20 2017 - 8:17 AM.

• Martialis and Cindy like this

#2 Offline Civz - Posted April 18 2017 - 7:34 AM

Civz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

i find myself giving the ants in my complex honey all the time... i carry a little syringe of it and can dispense a little blob at will. my neighbors think I'm crazy but what can ya do xD

• ctantkeeper likes this

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 18 2017 - 7:46 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

i find myself giving the ants in my complex honey all the time... i carry a little syringe of it and can dispense a little blob at will. my neighbors think I'm crazy but what can ya do xD

haha, my neighbors don't talk to me.In fact, they ignored my son trying to say "hi" to them for about 5 mins straight yesterday.

#4 Offline Civz - Posted April 18 2017 - 8:18 AM

Civz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

haha, i try to avoid grown adults down on all fours in most aspects of my life too so its hard to pass judgement xD

#5 Offline Jelly - Posted April 18 2017 - 11:55 AM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I've been monitoring the Solenopsis Xyloni colony in my back yard. I give them offerings of bugs i find throughout the yard and extra sugar water.

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 18 2017 - 12:01 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
That very much looks like Prenolepis imparis.

#7 Offline Superant33 - Posted April 18 2017 - 2:37 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I live in an urban area in Texas. invasive species have nearly wiped out the formerly ubiquitous harvester ant. I feed two of the only wild Pogonomyrmex colonies in the city. And I make a drive to do it 😬.

#8 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 19 2017 - 5:10 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

I live in an urban area in Texas. invasive species have nearly wiped out the formerly ubiquitous harvester ant. I feed two of the only wild Pogonomyrmex colonies in the city. And I make a drive to do it .

Do you think your feeding contributes to the success of the colony? And what do you feed them that the invasive species won't try to steal? That sounds super interesting.

#9 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 19 2017 - 5:12 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

You think so? I didn't think P.imparis has that coloration. Pretty cool to know that i could have that species right in my own backyard.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#10 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 19 2017 - 5:57 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

You think so? I didn't think P.imparis has that coloration. Pretty cool to know that i could have that species right in my own backyard.

It definitely is. They tend to have lighter coloration in warmer climates.

#11 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 19 2017 - 6:04 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Oh man, this is exciting stuff. I forgot about them for the last day or so. Hope my feeder is ok, and not torn up by other animals.

#12 Offline AkumaArtist - Posted April 19 2017 - 12:59 PM

AkumaArtist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSpain

I take care of a wold big colony of messor barbarus in the school xd Everyone looks at me like "what"

#13 Offline Superant33 - Posted April 19 2017 - 1:57 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
The invasive do try to steal the food. But I do a localized extermination as well 😈. The majority of the insects and seeds that I bring are taken by the Pogonomyrmex. And I know that I make a difference (indirect proof, like increased worker size, and alate production a few times). I have been rewarded by my efforts with a few queens. Unfortunately, I have a hard time raising my own queens.
  • Loops117 likes this

#14 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 19 2017 - 2:29 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

The invasive do try to steal the food. But I do a localized extermination as well . The majority of the insects and seeds that I bring are taken by the Pogonomyrmex. And I know that I make a difference (indirect proof, like increased worker size, and alate production a few times). I have been rewarded by my efforts with a few queens. Unfortunately, I have a hard time raising my own queens.

That is really cool! W need more people like you that want to help their native species stay strong. +1

#15 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 20 2017 - 6:11 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Went and did some poking around after a storm last night and found quite a bit of activity. Took some videos for proof.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#16 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 20 2017 - 7:33 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Hey, what is that brown/yellow-green casing thing to the right of the feeder. I found thousands of them one day in the yard and have no idea what they are. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#17 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 20 2017 - 7:42 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Pretty sure those are from the poplar tree in my backyard. It's apparently like the 3rd oldest in michigan or something.

#18 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 20 2017 - 7:49 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yeah I didn't know if they were from trees, locust shells, some other creature thing. I've got a couple of pictures of them but didn't want to waste everyones time with my silly nonsense. So I'm jumping off of your picture and now am assuming they are just tree turds. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#19 Offline Salmon - Posted April 20 2017 - 8:01 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Whenever I go to my favorite anting spot I always bring some walnuts for the P. pilifera. :)

If I give them chunks that are too large, they're typically driven off by aggressive Monomorium or Tetramorium, so I crumble them up into pieces small enough to carry into the nest.

#20 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 20 2017 - 10:15 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I am a wicked/evil person and I feed beetles (we have a ton of these only in summer) to Solenopsis invicta. I'm such a wonderful helper.

YJK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users