• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants map

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vanko - Posted March 26 2017 - 11:47 PM

Vanko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPlovdiv, Bulgaria
I think it will be great if there is an ant map. It could look exactly the same as members map but it will show where, when and what types of ants have been caught recently. Also ants map could help with analysis and researches. Every ant keeper will be able to "tag" where he found an ant queen and a lot more information. I am pretty sure this will help with IDing, cause instead of asking "Which is this species?" He could just check the map for information.
  • Nathant2131, Antking117 and OmniusClone like this
😛 🐜 😛

#2 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 27 2017 - 12:32 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Great idea, we have the table for all the different ants found throughout different months of the year, but tagging where ants are caught at what time would be very useful

#3 Offline OmniusClone - Posted March 27 2017 - 12:56 AM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA
This would be incredibly useful!
Depending on how much information could be attached to each tag, it would be invaluable to researchers as well as hobbyists and enthusiasts. Things like population density, growth rates, environmental reprocussions, and up to date species boundaries and intersections could be easily accessible.
This might even be something to bring up to the curators at AntWeb! I'm sure they'd be interested in assisting, or contributing data to the project.
Imagine being able to type in a genus, and have a multitude of graphs and information appear, with individual pictures and specimen numbers associated with those statistics!
Count me in!

Edited by OmniusClone, March 27 2017 - 12:57 AM.

• Antking117 likes this

#4 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 27 2017 - 1:13 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

This would be incredibly useful!
Depending on how much information could be attached to each tag, it would be invaluable to researchers as well as hobbyists and enthusiasts. Things like population density, growth rates, environmental reprocussions, and up to date species boundaries and intersections could be easily accessible.
This might even be something to bring up to the curators at AntWeb! I'm sure they'd be interested in assisting, or contributing data to the project.
Imagine being able to type in a genus, and have a multitude of graphs and information appear, with individual pictures and specimen numbers associated with those statistics!
Count me in!

Yeah it would be pretty amazing! 

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 27 2017 - 2:41 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
We can use a google my-map but I think that means only one can edit- So maybe give that person the geological coordinates? The info can be placed in each marker's info box.

Some other maps like this have already been created too but needs a little work- http://antmaps.org/ https://antsgeo.github.io/

I already use a google my-map for my New England collections, and it works really great. Nice idea.

Edited by Nathant2131, March 27 2017 - 2:42 AM.

• Martialis and jsCoder like this

#6 Offline Vanko - Posted March 27 2017 - 4:29 AM

Vanko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPlovdiv, Bulgaria
@Nathant2131
I am talking about tagging where did you find the queen, when, maybe even link to a colony dairy, what was the weather, photos and etc.
I am not good at explaining difficult things in English 😂😂 but by using #tags different charts and tables can be created, which could help by many many ways!!
😛 🐜 😛

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 27 2017 - 4:37 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
This idea is being developed by Gamergate.com.au as the Taxonomers.com website, and may be publicly available soon.
  • Martialis and CrazyLegs like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline Cindy - Posted March 27 2017 - 7:42 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

There is already a map like this on AntWeb but it would be pretty cool to have an up-to-date map that members can contribute to. 

#9 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 27 2017 - 10:27 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

@Nathant2131
I am talking about tagging where did you find the queen, when, maybe even link to a colony dairy, what was the weather, photos and etc.
I am not good at explaining difficult things in English 😂😂 but by using #tags different charts and tables can be created, which could help by many many ways!!

Exactly- this is what I was explaining, google my maps will let you do all that- unless I'm missing a bigger picture here.

#10 Offline Barristan - Posted March 27 2017 - 12:22 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Don't you know iNaturalist.org? It's already there and not only for ants but for all species.

You can also create guides and projects. I created a project "Ant nuptial flights". All you need is an account (free) and after that you can start recording observations. There are also mobile apps for android and iOS.

All ant observations worldwide

Edited by Barristan, March 27 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#11 Offline jsCoder - Posted March 27 2017 - 1:09 PM

jsCoder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hello! I'm developing something like that you said  Nathant2131 already shared the link - serivce antsgeo https://antsgeo.github.io/

Soon will update, it will be possible have an account. 

• Nathant2131 and MikeMc like this

#12 Offline OmniusClone - Posted March 27 2017 - 1:51 PM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA

I'm not at all surprised that this has already been done. It's just too good an idea to be original. :)

Don't you know iNaturalist.org? It's already there and not only for ants but for all species.

You can also create guides and projects. I created a project "Ant nuptial flights". All you need is an account (free) and after that you can start recording observations. There are also mobile apps for android and iOS.

All ant observations worldwide

Thanks for the link Barristan! As a matter of fact, I had no idea at all.

Shows you how much I know..... :lol:

#13 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 28 2017 - 8:46 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Yep, Taxonimers.com will be released shortly. VERY excited.

YJK

#14 Offline Martialis - Posted April 15 2017 - 12:16 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

It already is out.

Spoiler

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 15 2017 - 12:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It already is out.

I accidentally bumped this. AA's reply is old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users