• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID request // Garden Grove, CA

Best Answer dspdrew , March 11 2017 - 2:14 PM

C. clarithorax for sure.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MissLiz - Posted March 8 2017 - 10:34 AM

MissLiz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationGarden Grove, CA
Bare with me. My son got an antscanada kit for Christmas and we were planning on setting it up and learning about ant keeping this summer but we just happened upon a dealate (?) last night when we went out in the backyard. I planned on learning before we found one but we'll just learn as we go I guess. Haha. I tried to answer the best I could on these but if you need any other specifics let me know.

1. Location of collection: Garden Grove, CA
2. Date of collection: 3/7 @ 8pm
3. Habitat of collection: It was crawling on the wood trim of my house. I live in a pretty suburban neighborhood in Southern California. My backyard is just grass and a couple ornamental palm trees.
4. Length (from head to gaster): About 12mm if I'm measuring right, almost half an inch. Dime for scale as well.
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: black, some bands on abdomen and yellowish areas on legs.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: I know nothing about ants so I don't really know what distinguishing characteristics there are.
7. Distinguishing behavior: same as above.
8. Nest description: Don't know. Was found on house9irdjm.jpgw6qofd.jpg5we1qa.jpg2ed5ijt.jpg240ya7p.jpgop5uz8.jpg29mubs1.jpg

Edited by MissLiz, March 8 2017 - 11:12 AM.

• CamponotusLover likes this

#2 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted March 8 2017 - 10:38 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Well I am not the best at identification... But I am 75% sure that is not fully claustral, so there's that. I could be wrong though, its just full-clastrual queens tend to have smaller heads and smallers jaws.

Of course though I tend to be wrong on 99% of all things.

Beautiful queen though!

Edited by CamponotusLover, March 8 2017 - 10:39 AM.

• MissLiz likes this

#3 Offline MissLiz - Posted March 8 2017 - 10:47 AM

MissLiz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm seeing some red on her thorax too if I put her in a brighter light.

#4 Offline MissLiz - Posted March 8 2017 - 10:55 AM

MissLiz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Well I am not the best at identification... But I am 75% sure that is not fully claustral, so there's that. I could be wrong though, its just full-clastrual queens tend to have smaller heads and smallers jaws.

Beautiful queen though!

I had to google what that means, 100% beginner over here. Haha. Does that just mean I need to offer her food? I have a test tube portal I can attach and add another tube to put food in if I need to.

Edited by MissLiz, March 8 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted March 8 2017 - 10:58 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I'm thinking Dorymyrmex, which are fully claustral.

Edited by Martialis, March 8 2017 - 10:59 AM.

Spoiler

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 8 2017 - 11:05 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
This is also a queen might I add.
  • Martialis and CamponotusLover like this

#7 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted March 8 2017 - 11:13 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Beautiful queen though!

I had to good what that means, 100% beginner over here. Haha. Does that just mean I need to offer her food? I have a test tube portal I can attach and add another tube to put food in if I need to.
Google*

Well-

If she's full-claustral then: She does not need to be fed until she has produced her first workers because she eats off of the fats in her gaster (what people call the big butt of the ant) and she is also to be kept in the test tube until she has a OK amount of workers.

If she's semi-claustral then: It is reccomended if she is semi-claustral that you get a see-through container, doesn't matter what kind of container, but one that you can close nicely, and place her while she is in her test tube in the container, so it should be a see-through container with a test tube inside of it, and basicaly the container will be her habitat and her test tube will be her nest, the reason this is is because semi-claustral queens aren't able to fast and eat off fats in their gasters like fully-claustral, so she has to find food herself until she gets workers. So it should be for this type of ant, a queen, in a test tube, in a see through container, in which you place food in the container and she will come out of the test tube to get it.

If she's a social parasite then: Ultimatley, it is very difficult to raise her, social parasitic queens rely on a certain species of ant to use as their host in a founding stage, so if she was lasius claviger then she would look around for another species of lasius and she would enter that colonies nest, and kill the queen that rules that colony, and have the now dead queens workers work for her until this new queens workers are born and replaces the old workers.

• Martialis and T.C. like this

#8 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted March 8 2017 - 11:15 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Beautiful queen though!

I had to google what that means, 100% beginner over here. Haha. Does that just mean I need to offer her food? I have a test tube portal I can attach and add another tube to put food in if I need to.

but the portal idea might work for semi-claustral too, idk, ask others about that one.

#9 Offline MissLiz - Posted March 8 2017 - 11:25 AM

MissLiz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

This is what I have in terms of adding more space but still keeping her in a smaller area, I have other test tubes I can attach as well.

#10 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 8 2017 - 11:59 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Fully-claustral Camponotus from the Myrmentoma subgenus.

• dspdrew, dermy, LC3 and 1 other like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#11 Offline MissLiz - Posted March 8 2017 - 12:02 PM

MissLiz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Fully-claustral Camponotus from the Myrmentoma subgenus.

Just looked that up. That looks pretty close, if not exact, to what she looks like in person!

Edited by MissLiz, March 8 2017 - 12:03 PM.

#12 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted March 8 2017 - 1:28 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

This is what I have in terms of adding more space but still keeping her in a smaller area, I have other test tubes I can attach as well.

P-E-R-F-E-C-T

#13 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 8 2017 - 5:13 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Definitely a Myrmentoma sub genus queen. It looks very similar to C Caryae.(probably not tho)
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#14 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 8 2017 - 6:09 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

How does this look like Dormymyrmex in any shape or form? (Just a question)

YJK

#15 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 8 2017 - 7:10 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I'm guessing because the acidopore was slightly difficult to make out, although at that size the only possible dolichoderine queen would have been Liometopum.

• Martialis likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#16 Offline Martialis - Posted March 8 2017 - 7:16 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I'm guessing because the acidopore was slightly difficult to make out, although at that size the only possible dolichoderine queen would have been Liometopum.

That was the case. I should have done more research. It did look like Camponotus, though I did not know that they are flying in California already.

Spoiler

#17 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 8 2017 - 7:25 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I agree with Batspiderfish. (Edit: his first post) To me it actually looks exactly like the Camponotus yogi I found years ago. That of course is actually from the subgenus Myrmaphaenus though, which is also small like Myrmentoma. If it's not C. yogi, I would guess C. clarithorax. Finding it on your house makes that even more likely. Either way, that's amazing you found Camponotus in urban/suburban Orange County. I have never been able to find them anywhere West of Santiago Canyon Drive.

Can you try to get a good picture of its face?

Edit: It's definitely not Liometopum.

Edited by dspdrew, March 8 2017 - 7:40 PM.

• MissLiz likes this

#18 Offline MissLiz - Posted March 8 2017 - 7:48 PM

MissLiz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I agree with Batspiderfish. (Edit: his first post) To me it actually looks exactly like the Camponotus yogi I found years ago. That of course is actually from the subgenus Myrmaphaenus though, which is also small like Myrmentoma. If it's not C. yogi, I would guess C. clarithorax. Finding it on your house makes that even more likely. Either way, that's amazing you found Camponotus in urban/suburban Orange County. I have never been able to find them anywhere West of Santiago Canyon Drive.

Can you try to get a good picture of its face?

Edit: It's definitely not Liometopum.

I'll try tomorrow when the lighting is better. she's pretty active so it's hard to get a clear shot. I found your thread with the c yogi and it looks pretty much dead on for that one, especially the leg color.

#19 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 8 2017 - 7:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If its face looks like it was dipped in acid, then that's it. :)

#20 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 8 2017 - 8:13 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

My post will be irrelevant to the topic, and sorry about that. 

. Either way, that's amazing you found Camponotus in urban/suburban Orange County. I have never been able to find them anywhere West of Santiago Canyon Drive.

Canyon Drive is only 10 minutes from my area, what type of queens have you found there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users