• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Caswal's Modular Formicarium Design - Updated 24.Sept.2014

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Alza - Posted September 24 2014 - 11:01 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

interesting 

#22 Offline AntsAnonymous - Posted April 20 2015 - 2:42 PM

AntsAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSpring, Texas (Houston Area)

Been a while...Wondering if you have any updates lately? I just bought a 3D printer and plan on designing my own modular design.  Did you use PLA or ABS?

#23 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 20 2015 - 8:00 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

PLA is fussy for parts that must fit together, but you can work out the tolerances so the type of plastic matters less.

What 3D printer do you have, and does it have a heated bed?

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#24 Offline AntsAnonymous - Posted April 20 2015 - 8:29 PM

AntsAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
I got a Robo3D R1. Yes it has a heated bed. Planned on using ABS.

#25 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 20 2015 - 8:37 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I have very good results with Gizmo Dorks HIPS filament, which is what I use for a number of products I sell—I've gone through about 20 pounds of the stuff.  If you have problems with ABS or HIPS warping, use Build Tak.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#26 Offline AntsAnonymous - Posted April 21 2015 - 7:11 AM

AntsAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Do you finish your products? Acetone for ABS or limonene for HIPS? Or are your customers happy with the unfinished look?

#27 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 21 2015 - 7:36 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

As long as the layers are even, I'm happy, and I don't think customers mind.  I've had nothing but compliments about the appearance of the new GroTube XL.

#28 Offline AntsAnonymous - Posted April 21 2015 - 9:24 AM

AntsAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what software do you use to do the 3d modeling?  I understand if you don't want to give away trade secrets :P  I like the pattern on that, might even add a little grip to it when handling. Hope you don't mind a little friendly competition either.  :D I plan on selling mine once I get a design down. I want to figure out a vertical design that remains modular, for those with less space.

#29 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 21 2015 - 10:42 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what software do you use to do the 3d modeling?  I understand if you don't want to give away trade secrets :P  I like the pattern on that, might even add a little grip to it when handling. Hope you don't mind a little friendly competition either. :D I plan on selling mine once I get a design down. I want to figure out a vertical design that remains modular, for those with less space.

You should develop products as contributions to our research on the byFormica website!

I'm developing the business as a community-owned and operated venture, and users who create products manufactured and sold by byFormica earn up to 80% of the profit generated from the sale of the final commercial item, per the Community Content page.

Also, I've begun the early stages of iterating a vertical nest assembly for the upcoming GlassBox formicarium. I don't have any public details yet, because it is in the very early stages. Most of what I have published to the byFormica website is "settled" or highly developed ideas.

All the final work I do will (eventually) be documented publicly, however the use by others outside the compensation model, is described here.

Trust me, this is not a business you want to delve into alone, unless you have an infinite amount of free time, skill, and money, and don't mind barely breaking even on the best of days.

To answer your question, AutoCAD Inventor is the parametric modeling tools I and others use to model industrial designs like what I produce.

Edited by drtrmiller, April 3 2024 - 8:44 AM.

#30 Offline Foogoo - Posted May 6 2015 - 3:16 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Yeah, I changed to just getting covers cut. I started to become concerned with even though I was trying to keep something close to his design. It would still require a few iterations to get right, and the cost was not going to be cheap. Where I do have a 3D printer.

I am glad I did, as P. advenus isn't taking to this formicarium well. I think the chambers are to tall. I am using a 10w LED spotlight, but they still stick to their test tube. So going to cut some height out of the design, and see if that helps.

Any update on your designs?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users