• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Prenolepis imparis [1] - Update 7 (6.14.2017)

prenolepis imparis

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MikeMc - Posted March 23 2017 - 12:23 PM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

This is my very first Formiculture activity, as well as my first ever captured queens.

Collection
I collected 12 females on February 24th, 2017 on a wooded path around Cobb Lake in Bluffton, Ohio. Here is a Google Maps link to the collection location.We had an unusual 2-3 days in the mid 60's which seemed to trigger the nuptial flights. All of these were either spotted walking, or found after moving loose leaf litter.

Thinking back to the time I caught the queens, we had 7 consecutive days above 60. (63,70,64,63,63,62) Here is the weather information for the day I captured the queens.

Time: 2:00-3:30 pm

Temperature: 73F

Wind: South @10-20mph

Humidity: 46%

Barometric: Dropping, although the hour I caught them the pressure jumped briefly.

https://www.wundergr...reqdb.wmo=99999

Prenolepis imparis nuptial females

Status Updates
Currently, they reside in test tubes with cotton, in a cardboard box on the top m closet shelf, approximately 65-68F. After 2 weeks of captivity, I have noticed eggs in at least 8 of the test tubes. I am being careful not to check too often in fears of disturbing the queens. Notably, one of the queens with wings laid eggs, and still has the wings as of 3.23.2017.

2 24 2017   Queens with Eggs

Just a few more photos, more eggs, better lens.  Still liking the queen with wings!

3 30 2017 Founding Queen With eggs
3 30 2017 Founding Queen with eggs And wings

I have been trying my hardest to limit the interaction I have to around once a week until some workers are present with the queen. Most of the Broods seem to be doing well, increasing in both numbers and some pretty obvious larvae at this stage, which is exciting. I took the opportunity to go ahead and try my hand at some more photos, and I am now realizing how hard it is to get great captures through not only round test tubes, but cheap test tubes. Light is hard and the extrusion lines in the glass are readily apparent at these focus and zoom levels.

Of the 12 queens captured, 3 still have their wings.

As of today of have had these nuptial queens in captivity for 43 Days.

4 7 2017 Founding Queen with eggs larvae
4 7 2017 Founding Queen with eggs larvae Two
4 7 2017 Founding Queen with eggs And wings
4 7 2017 Founding Queen sideview
4 7 2017 Founding Queen Closeup

I also captured a quick, but boring video by hand. It's shakey but I am letting youtube do some stabilization. I'll make sure I get my tripod out next time.

An exciting update, we have Pupae with visible eyes and legs! 

It's been a few weeks since my last post as I got busy with a few other things and didn't have the time to get the camera gear out. I could of observations. I have 2 test tubes that appear to be absorbing water fast that others, this is likely due to my inexperience of loading the tubes and I pushed the cotton too far. I will continue to monitor these tubes and prepare to move the queens if the water becomes too low.

And here's the goods...

Queen With Larve And Eyes

Queen With Wings Larvae And Eyes

Last week's update was exciting, but this week's update is monumental. 4 of my queens now have their very first nanitics! I fed a drop of honey to each tube with Nanitics and saw 3 of the four tubes have the nanitics ingest and feed the queen through trophallaxis. My first time to witness this and it was pretty sweet. It's simply amazing how the ants just know what to do.

The tubes with lower water appear to be about the same as the previous week and I will continue to monitor it. 

I also had one queen which had mold growing pretty heavily on the cotton, and sometime between last week and this week she didn't make it. :(

5 8 2017 Founding Queen with First Nanitics

Not too much to add here, colonies are growing, I have been giving drops of honey every 2-3 days, need to introduce some protein soon!

Single photo...
IMG 4310

It has been just over a month and a lot has been going on with the colonies that have been mostly self-sufficient since I collected them.

One week ago was the first protein I provided my colonies, each one received random bugs that I caught from my local area (pesticide free). Some had mosquitos,  colonies shared a cricket that I smashed and divided, and the remainder had fruit flies. Each colony accepted the food I provided and seemed quite pleased. up until this point, I had been feeding my colonies at a small drop of honey, at least once a week.

On an observation note, some colonies can sense/smell the honey as soon as I open the test tube and hold it near. They will begin to become semi-frantic and will quickly line up around the droplet filling their gasters. however I have one colony that seem completely indifferent to the honey - eventually, they will approach the drop, but it won't happen until they are put away. I don't know if each colony can have different personalities, but it is certainly what I am observing.

Last night I chose to change all of my test tubes since a few were running dry, some were dirty and some were getting moldy. 

The process was quite simple and straight forward. I prepared new test tubes and filled them with RO water, then used electrical tape to attach both ends. then I set the old tubes on a heating wire and immediately the colonies began picking up the brood and began searching for a new location.   After about 45 min all the colonies had moved.  The colonies that did not have any Nanitics (ie - queen only ) took about 5 hours to fully relocate.

After the move i was surprised how large the brood pile actually were, many of them must have been hiding in the cotton. So everyone is fed and moved to clean quarters and things are progressing. I apologize for not grabbing fantastic photos of this process but I did snap a few of the large brood piles with my phone, enjoy!

Pimparis June12 2017 tubes
Pimparis June12 2017

Edited by MikeMc, June 14 2017 - 1:07 PM.

• Jonathan21700, Martialis, T.C. and 6 others like this

Prenolepis imparis:  founding queens x15 | Journal

#2 Offline MikeMc - Posted March 30 2017 - 11:03 AM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio
3.30.2017 updates above ^
  • Vasquez and Cindy like this

#3 Offline Cindy - Posted March 30 2017 - 11:26 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

Nice journal and pics! Are you keeping them in the dark for the most part? 

#4 Offline MikeMc - Posted March 30 2017 - 11:28 AM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

Nice journal and pics! Are you keeping them in the dark for the most part? 

Thanks, this is my first try at keeping a colony so I am learning as I go.

Currently they are 100% in the dark except for the very rare occasion that I open it briefly only to check the status. They are in a small cardboard box that i close and put on the top shelf of my closet.

• Cindy likes this

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 30 2017 - 11:29 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I love how you formatted the pictures!

• Nathant2131 and MikeMc like this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#6 Offline Goldsystem - Posted April 3 2017 - 10:05 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Cool! My first queen was a p.imparis queen too! Good luck :D

Edited by Goldsystem, April 3 2017 - 10:05 AM.

#7 Offline MikeMc - Posted April 3 2017 - 10:59 AM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

Any suggestions / Things you wished you would have known going into it?

Edited by MikeMc, April 3 2017 - 10:59 AM.

#8 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 3 2017 - 11:13 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

nice journal and awesome photos :) . Can't wait to see more progression as time goes on!!!

• MikeMc likes this

#9 Offline Goldsystem - Posted April 3 2017 - 12:03 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas

Well don't use a heat pad, make sure the get protein (I've seen some ant keepers who only give them sugars) and hibernate them for a good long wile. Mine are active in the summer unlike what I was told so that would have been nice to know. Add food coloring to your sugar water to change the replete color, makes them look like little jems! Mine like wax worms and cockroaches so maybe yours will too :)
  • MikeMc likes this

#10 Offline MikeMc - Posted April 3 2017 - 1:10 PM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

Well don't use a heat pad, make sure the get protein (I've seen some ant keepers who only give them sugars) and hibernate them for a good long wile. Mine are active in the summer unlike what I was told so that would have been nice to know. Add food coloring to your sugar water to change the replete color, makes them look like little jems! Mine like wax worms and cockroaches so maybe yours will too :)

Thank you!

#11 Offline MikeMc - Posted April 7 2017 - 1:12 PM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

4.7.2017 updates added ^

#12 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 7 2017 - 1:15 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Wow, that's a lot of eggs.

#13 Offline MikeMc - Posted April 7 2017 - 1:23 PM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

Is it?  Since this is my first batch of nuptials, and the first foray into ant keeping I have no idea what to expect from this species, or any species for that matter.

#14 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 7 2017 - 1:29 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Is it?  Since this is my first batch of nuptials, and the first foray into ant keeping I have no idea what to expect from this species, or any species for that matter.

I've heard from other people that they get a lot less eggs with this species than this in their first entire year.  :blink:

#15 Offline Cindy - Posted April 7 2017 - 1:33 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

Whoa, your queens have been busy! This is super exciting. Maybe you should start naming them?!

• MikeMc likes this

#16 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 7 2017 - 1:44 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Naming them in log style, yes. Since I tend to care for as many queens at a time as possible, it is extroadinarily useful to name them for logs and stuff, so you don't mix them up at the very least. Here's my example:

Lasius niger group 1

Lasius niger group 2

Lasius niger group 3

Lasius niger group 4

Lasius niger group 5

Lasius niger group 6 

Lasius niger group 7

Lasius niger group 8

Lasius niger group 9

Lasius umbratus group 1 

Lasius umbratus group 2

Lasius umbratus group 3

Lasius claviger group 1

Lasius claviger group 2 

Then, I will either sort them in numerical order (for example, first tube to the left is Lasius niger group 1, second to the left is Lasius niger group 2) and/or label their tubes or formicariums with their "code".

Edited by Nathant2131, April 7 2017 - 1:49 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#17 Offline MikeMc - Posted April 7 2017 - 6:06 PM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

I'm with Nathan on this one, numbers are my names. :)

• Nathant2131, Cindy and Ant Love like this

#18 Offline MikeMc - Posted April 8 2017 - 2:36 PM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

A couple of others brought up catching more P. Imparis soon - I add weather information to the first post to have an idea of what my variables were for collection, yours, of course, could be different, but it might be helpful for others to review...

Thinking back to the time I caught the queens, we had 7 consecutive days above 60. (63,70,64,63,63,62) Here is the weather information for the day I captured the queens.

Time: 2:00-3:30 pm

Temperature: 73F

Wind: South @10-20mph

Humidity: 46%

Barometric: Dropping, although the hour I caught them the pressure jumped briefly.

#19 Offline MikeMc - Posted April 14 2017 - 12:09 PM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

Got them out today, a quick teaser image...

queenwitheggsandlarvae

• Nathant2131, Cindy and Myrmidon like this

#20 Offline Myrmidon - Posted April 19 2017 - 5:21 PM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWaltham, Massachusetts

This is all so fascinating! I'm also on the same boat with you in my first real attempt to ant keep. I caught 8 queens about a week ago, though they aren't producing eggs yet (as far as I can tell). So this is hopefully a glance in the near future!

• MikeMc likes this

Keeper of:

Prenolepis imparis (4 founding queens)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus (5 founding queens)

Reticulitermes flavipes (3 pairs, subterranean termite)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prenolepis imparis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users