• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2110 replies to this topic

#1361 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 28 2018 - 1:34 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
If it’s any help, I started my C pennsylvanicus nanitics with a drop of honey when they eclosed. They sucked it up like sponges.

#1362 Offline akaant - Posted August 6 2018 - 5:41 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

Within the last 2 days I found alates/dealates  of Camponotus pennsylvanicus,Formica argentea, Lasius sp (non parasitic)  Crematogaster sp and possibly Aphaenogaster. I also found several dismembered Lasius latipes alates but I don't think they flew.

• noebl1 and Aquaexploder like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1363 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 7 2018 - 3:39 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I've been seeing the same here too.  At night if I blacklight I see Camponotus drones or Lasius (likely L. americanus.)  I am sort of full up on queens so haven't gone out the last couple of nights as feel like I am at capacity, so shouldn't do it as can't help myself...  Last night I'm guessing was good as hot and muggy. Likely more the same tonight if conditions persist.

I have some spare Tetramorium, Crematogaster queens if MA people are looking.  

Three of my C. americanus have 5-7 workers, 4th may be dud as nothing really developing quickly, and not doing a great job caring for her brood.  Pheidole queen has quite a large brood pile and developing.  My P. imparis from last year has quite the pile of 2nd year brood, though I need to I think try to cool them down, as they are getting low on their repelete's reserves and not foraging yet due to estivation, so concerned a bit about that.   

Edited by noebl1, August 7 2018 - 3:39 AM.

• akaant, Aquaexploder and ConcordAntman like this

#1364 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted August 7 2018 - 3:49 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
Hi guys, it's been a while since I last checked in, anyway all my colonies are doing great, except for my Camponotus queen which I think is infertile, but hopefully I can get pictures later. As for finding new queen I haven't really been hunting for more but I did see a Formica queen yesterday.

#1365 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted August 8 2018 - 1:06 PM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

noebl1 What is your process when blacklighting? I have a light was thinking of trying this out. What type of places do you go to?

I'd love to get another Formica or a Camponotus queen. 

I havent been seeing much.

#1366 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 8 2018 - 1:17 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

noebl1 What is your process when blacklighting? I have a light was thinking of trying this out. What type of places do you go to?

I'd love to get another Formica or a Camponotus queen. 

I havent been seeing much.

I just grab a white sheet, and lay it flat against it so it's casting along the long way of my sheet.  I like to set it on the sheet with a bit of the sheet behind it as stuff tends to fly to both the bright and darker sides of it. I live in a pretty rural area, so typically do this in my back yard. 

If you live in a more urban area, I'd get one of the UV flashlights in the 365nm wavelength, and set it up in a park if there's a safe one to go to at night in your area.  I usually don't go outside for more than an hour or two this time of year as have to get up for work the next day.

#1367 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted August 13 2018 - 4:43 AM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

I'm up to 7 Tetramorium queens with about 15 workers. I'm probably only going to keep a few in case I screw up their first hibernation. 

So if anyone is interested in trading a queen for one of my Tetramoriums. 

Haven't had much luck finding any queens of other species. 

#1368 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 15 2018 - 2:27 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Lasius and Aphaenogaster flying right now

#1369 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 4 2018 - 4:01 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

How's everyone doing so far? Found a handful of Aphaenogaster fulva and picea.  Few small flights of Lasius as well.  Looks like I missed a Ponera flight as someone from Nashua, NH found some over the weekend.  I am betting after we get some rain, there's going to be a good sized flight.  Only a few more weeks left to this anting season!

#1370 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted September 8 2018 - 4:15 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Things are just chugging along. Two of my colonies have 16 nanitics and the third has 10. All three have healthy brood piles. I haven’t been looking for other species (though I’ve got Tetramorium sp and Camponotus americanus invading my hummingbird feeders) since my hands are full tending the colonies I have. I hope to have 15-20/ colony by the time hibernation comes. Since this will be my first winter ant keeping, I want to make it through without mucking things up.
  • noebl1 likes this

#1371 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 8 2018 - 7:03 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Things are just chugging along. Two of my colonies have 16 nanitics and the third has 10. All three have healthy brood piles. I haven’t been looking for other species (though I’ve got Tetramorium sp and Camponotus americanus invading my hummingbird feeders) since my hands are full tending the colonies I have. I hope to have 15-20/ colony by the time hibernation comes. Since this will be my first winter ant keeping, I want to make it through without mucking things up.

Hibernation sounds a lot more scary than it is, though I still get nervous every year :)  

This season's Camponotus I found has several nanitics hatch, and then they sorta stalled out.  They forage for sugary food, but really no interest in protein.  I've noticed that 1st year Camponotus colonies I've found in the Spring seem to be this size, so guessing it's pretty normal. 

My 2017 Tetramorium colony has outgrown their test tubes, so think I am ready to move them to a nest setup.  I have a nest ready to go I've been working on for a bit iteration wise.   Also same deal for my 2017 Aphaenogaster picea colony as they are spread across a couple test tubes now and constantly on the move (plus their small out world is filthy and getting harder to clean), so it's time.  Just waiting for Amazon Logistics to deliver some shelving today and will be hooking those up.  Pretty excited.

I realized I mis-IDed my other Aphaenogaster colony; turns out that are A. fulva and not A. rudis.  I found two additional queens of those this season as well.  Definitely my favorites.

I've been chatting with  @Kevin on the Ant Keeping Discord about nest setups and trading knowledge and ideas.  He's been cloning some of DSPDrew's founding nest setups.  Just got a bunch of boxes in from The Container Store yesterday, so hoping to get some founding nests set up.  Likely not much use for this season, but next season for sure.  Also post some pics.  I am finding the test tube while initially works well, once you get workers, is a pain to take care of for feeding and such.  Looking at other ideas.

Still having a hard time getting Myrmica to found without eating their brood.  Very frustrating.

Here's how my colonies are doing so far:

Lasius brevicornis 2016 - Still in single test tube, slowly growing, but appear healthy

Lasius neoniger 2016 - Doing poorly, queen laid mostly males this season, likely to fail

Lasius neoniger 2016 - Queen died, working with an L. interjectus to hopefully take over

Tetramorium 2017 - Spread across 3 test tubes, very healthy

Aphaenogaster picea 2017 - Spread across 3 test tubes, very healthy

Aphaenogaster fulva 2017 - Spread across 2 test tubes, very healthy

Lasius neoniger 2017 - Growing steadily, looking healthy so far

Temnothorax curvispinosus 2017 - Doing "ok", they are slowly growing, but the second test tube of queens failed, original one doing ok

Crematogaster 2017 - Doing ok, had first round of nanitics, and laying stalled a bit

Crematogaster 2017 - Doing ok, had first round of nanitics, and laying stalled a bit (notice a trend here? Not sure the deal)

Lasius americanus 2017 - Had an initial disaster when poisoned by TPU filament, brood posted and she's a laying machine now, appears very healthy a few months later

Camponotus americanus 2018 - Several nanitics, looking healthy

Camponotus americanus 2018 - Queen appears to be dud, likely will fail

Camponotus nearcticus 2018 - Several nanitics, looking healthy

Camponotus nearcticus 2018 - Several nanitics, looking healthy

Camponotus nearcticus 2018 - Queen not doing great, only had one worker eclose and she died, second worker eclosed recently, not high odds of success

Pheidole pilifera 2018 - Has some larvae and eggs still, not so sure about her, suspecting a dud

Tetramorium 2018 - Numerous, seem to be healthy, probably give them to MA people as don't need them

I also have a bunch of Myrmica, Temnothorax, Aphaenogaster and Lasius queens from this season and last, but not worth noting beyond that.

• ConcordAntman likes this

#1372 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted September 8 2018 - 10:56 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Noebl1,

20 active colonies :o Damn man, between my other hobbies and day to day living, I'm gassed just managing my three colonies; and I'm retired!! My hat's off to ya!! I'm waiting for formicaria from THA (too lazy to make my own but maybe next year).

We have a fieldstone basement, it gets cool so I plan to hibernate my colonies there. They seem to be fattening themselves up for the winter.

#1373 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 8 2018 - 11:20 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Noebl1,

20 active colonies :o Damn man, between my other hobbies and day to day living, I'm gassed just managing my three colonies; and I'm retired!! My hat's off to ya!! I'm waiting for formicaria from THA (too lazy to make my own but maybe next year).

We have a fieldstone basement, it gets cool so I plan to hibernate my colonies there. They seem to be fattening themselves up for the winter.

Most of them are idle most of the time.  Really the Aphaenogaster, Lasius and Tetramorium keep busy right now so not so bad.  Likely post hibernation I'll thin the colonies down to keep only a handful.

If your basement is in the low 40Fs, then it's perfect!  

#1374 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted September 8 2018 - 3:37 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I'm not sure about the basement more likely 45-50F. How do you hibernate your colonies? 

#1375 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 8 2018 - 3:51 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I picked up some used/openbox wine fridges from Amazon Warehouse deals.  They go down to 45F which seems to work fine.  Only issue is if they lose power, they reset to 52F and that's warm enough for the ants to start waking up.  I keep meaning to take them apart and put my own custom controller in based on an ESP8266, but haven't had the time.

#1376 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted September 10 2018 - 10:30 PM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

I've started looking into how to Hibernate my Tetramoriums as this will be my first winter. Most are doing well with large brood piles and 20-30 workers. 

I'm thinking of putting a couple in small formicariums as I too hate feeding and trying to move them to clean tubes. 

Is it harder to hibernate in a formicarium? I open to some sort of multi tube set up that can be sealed easily as an option too. 

I've designed a couple of interesting formicarium based off of some of Drews designs but they are to large for the colonies at this point so looking for affordable options. I know a lot of people keep them in tubes over 100 workers but I really don't want to deal with that. 

I was thinking of moving them into these as they are cheap and small. LINK

Edited by fleetingyouth, September 10 2018 - 10:31 PM.

#1377 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted September 11 2018 - 1:50 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Just found a Myrica cf. rubra dealate with her wings right next to her. They must be flying.

#1378 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 11 2018 - 2:06 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Lasius flying here, finding parasitic and non-parasitic flying. Small flight

• Nathant2131 likes this

#1379 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted September 11 2018 - 2:06 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
There is definitely stuff flying around. Males are landing on me and I’m catching them in midair with my hands. HEY and look at that, I just caught a Lasius Queen while typing this!

#1380 Offline Major - Posted September 11 2018 - 2:54 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Hey, so I will be going to Boston next year in the first week of June for around a week, what's the ant life like, and what should I expect to find. (No, I won't bring anything back with me.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)