• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2110 replies to this topic

#1221 Offline Myrmidon - Posted June 3 2018 - 10:57 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWaltham, Massachusetts

I noticed that sometimes the stuff from Tar Heel can smell "chemically", probably due to the way he makes them and materials involved. So if you went that route, you should probably clean it, let it air out, etc. prior. I have done that with his items and seemed to be just fine after. 

@mallonje - Yes, that's usually what I do with the young colonies and when it's hibernation time just close up the tube and hibernate! I'm currently doing that with my Formica colony. 

And Myrmidon comes from the Ancient Greeks, they were a warlike people that fought at Troy or so they say. ;)

Edited by Myrmidon, June 3 2018 - 11:00 AM.

• ctantkeeper, noebl1, mallonje and 1 other like this

Keeper of:

Prenolepis imparis (4 founding queens)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus (5 founding queens)

Reticulitermes flavipes (3 pairs, subterranean termite)

#1222 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted June 3 2018 - 4:15 PM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

Thanks everyone. 

I will keep all that in mind when I go out looking. 

I set up a bunch of bricks in areas in my yard i often see ants in hopes to trap a couple this summer. 

I take it a cool day/night like today isn't good for looking?

Its suppose to rain the next couple days but be cool does temp matter?

#1223 Offline akaant - Posted June 3 2018 - 6:09 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

Thanks everyone. 

I will keep all that in mind when I go out looking. 

I set up a bunch of bricks in areas in my yard i often see ants in hopes to trap a couple this summer. 

I take it a cool day/night like today isn't good for looking?

Its suppose to rain the next couple days but be cool does temp matter?

Cold nights like this yield little. Best hunting nights I had were warm and humid. Don't step on the cockroaches!

• ctantkeeper and noebl1 like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1224 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 4 2018 - 8:29 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

@fleetingyouth Welcome!!  Quite a group of MA people now :)

As @akaant mentioned, warm/humid nights are the best.  One tell sign I usually is based on what other insects I see.  If I go outside, and it's a bit cool/dry, I may see some moths, and that's about it which is a pretty good indication ants won't be flying.  However on ideal conditions, where's it's warm/humid there's *tons* of insects flying, just like ants.  Last week really threw me off as the temperature and humidity seemed where they should be, especially Fri, but not much happened.

With @Nathant2131 seeing a Tetramorium dealate, and @mallonje finding what looks like a Tetramorium alate in early June, that's pretty crazy.  We have a few Tetramorium nests here, but was away Sat night so didn't get to check for any flights.  However definitely been a weird anting season.   @mallonje, how's she doing?

@Myrmidon  I think there was a thread about this, where he had to make a change for his THA newer nests as realized something was creating fumes during the construction process.

• akaant and ConcordAntman like this

#1225 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 4 2018 - 6:10 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
For Myrmidon & noebl1
http://www.formicult...i-formicariums/
  • noebl1 and Myrmidon like this

#1226 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted June 5 2018 - 10:58 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
Tetramorium flying here in RI!
  • ctantkeeper and noebl1 like this

#1227 Offline mallonje - Posted June 5 2018 - 2:34 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

@Noebl1 - She's skittish, more so then my other queens. So I don't want to over tax her. I also still don't have a positive ID. I'm hoping she's just the first of many this year so I can continue to build up my repertoire.

Now for the stupid novice question that google doesn't want to answer... I assume because Queen's have ovipositors they don't have stingers? I ask because T. Caespitum has a distinctive triangular stinger. I've confirmed the two box shaped pedicle, and the propodeal spine. I think I see an anteroventral tooth. But without better optics I don't think I'm going to be able to see the rugae, or accurately count antenna segments. but if I can check her stinger I'm golden.  

Founding:

1 P. Imparis queen caught 4/26/18

2 L. Umbratus caught 5/8/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/7/18 1st Eggs 5/17/18 

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/17/18 1st Eggs 5/22/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/31/18

1 T. Caespitum(?) queen caught 6/1/18

#1228 Offline rdurham02 - Posted June 6 2018 - 5:23 AM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

Found a Tetramorium queen crawling around on one of the desks at my work yesterday morning and she still had one wing! It does seem rather early for them to fly here given last year's data. I think they may be confused by the extreme weather patterns we have been having in Southern Maine.  %)

#1229 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 8 2018 - 3:41 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Hopefully some flights today/tomorrow now that it will hit the 80Fs, been quiet for me at least the last few days with the cooler air mass moving thru.

My first Crematogaster nanitic eclosed, took forever.   My Lasius are starting to slowly eclose too, looks like I have another L. flavus or similar (hard to ID without using a microscope as so small.)  Probably be looking for a home for these as I don't need them.  Back down to 2 Myrmica queens, the third one I found never really settled down, and died this week.  The first one still has a giant brood pile, and the other one looks to have maybe settled, will keep an eye out for eggs.  All my Camponotus have brood piles too they are quietly tending as well.   Both Aphaenogaster colonies are growing, especially the A. picea which she is an egg laying machine.  In the span of 2mos went from 1 to 20+ workers.

@mallonje - Great question, I'm honestly not sure either.  Most of the species that can sting I've kept until recently were too small to feel.  Myrmica ants are probably large enough, but not something I've read in great detail before.  Googling isn't that helpful as ends up with Quora results, or exterminating companies talking about "fire ants"...

I found out yesterday that if you join The Container Store email rewards program, they give you 15% off your next order, so I stocked up on more outworld containers :D

• Myrmidon, mallonje and ConcordAntman like this

#1230 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted June 9 2018 - 12:44 AM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

Still out looking for my first queens hoping tonight might be a good night. I also asked my buddy who is a lawn care guy on the south shore to let me know if he sees any nuptial flights. If he does I will post them. 

I've been doing a ton of reading and youtube watching on formicariums the last couple of days. I know that its premature but part of what has drawn me to try this hobby is the building of environments. I will probably try some natural ones if I ever manage to get a large enough colony but until then I really like the detailed carved out natural rock shape type. Obviously, there doesnt seem to be an easy way to get AAC in the area so what are other types of materials I could experiment with? 

I'm very handy and have experience carving/engraving so I'm pretty sure if I had some AAC I could make pretty interesting designs. I was thinking of trying various different bricks and stone from lowes to see what I could get. But I don't know much about how the different materials will react to ants. I couldn't find much online outside of Ytong, plaster, and grout. I'd really like to carve my own. 

I have a stack of old red bricks in the yard I might try to carve up and see how they look. Would make for some nice tabletop decorations if it works. 

Thanks for any tips and info.

• noebl1 and mallonje like this

#1231 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 9 2018 - 5:22 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

@fleetingyouth  I've heard people have used fire brick, but I've personally never tried it.  AAC is in the US, but unfortunately seems like something only construction companies have access too.  Occasionally I've seen it for sale in the US on eBay, but not very often.

There apparently were some Tetramorium, Camponotus, and Nylanderia flying reported on Discord in MA, I but I didn't observe any myself.  It's been kind of a lull for me, curious to see if today in the 80Fs, or maybe middle of this week again it warms up if we see a spurt of flights.

Other weird thing for me, a bunch of my 2016 Lasius neoniger pupae just eclosed, and there's several male alates.  Hoping it was just a fluke and my queen isn't becoming a dud (not common, but can happen.)  

• mallonje likes this

#1232 Offline Myrmidon - Posted June 9 2018 - 1:38 PM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Well patience finally paid off - caught my first C. nearcticus queen from the local colonies in my yard. She suffered some casualties and lost a leg but she seems mostly intact. They have probably already flown/are flying.

Also flipped over a rock and saw lots of Tetra reproductive larvae so they are definitely gearing up over here. 

Edited by Myrmidon, June 9 2018 - 1:54 PM.

• akaant and mallonje like this

Keeper of:

#1233 Offline mallonje - Posted June 9 2018 - 5:43 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Welp, the weather has pretty much shutdown my collecting. I was really psyched to finally get rain, but to then follow it up with mid 50's... I mean, how rude!

Otherwise, nothing out of my P. Imparis or my L. Embratus and my new Tetramorium is still skittish.

All 3 of my Camponotus have eggs, one even has pupae. But, now that one's gaster is swollen with eggs - I can clearly see it has a very distinctive red hue.

Founding:

1 P. Imparis queen caught 4/26/18

2 L. Umbratus caught 5/8/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/7/18 1st Eggs 5/17/18 

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/17/18 1st Eggs 5/22/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/31/18

1 T. Caespitum(?) queen caught 6/1/18

#1234 Offline akaant - Posted June 9 2018 - 6:47 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

I'll be selling ant colonies soon. I might as well sign up for GAN program.

AKA's Ant adoption.

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1235 Offline Myrmidon - Posted June 10 2018 - 4:46 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Which are you selling? I see you have Novae's.... I might need one or two?  :D

Keeper of:

#1236 Offline akaant - Posted June 10 2018 - 5:33 AM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

Camponotus chromaiodes ,novaeboracensis,  pennsylvanicus , *(americanus very soon)* and 2 species of Aphaenogaster. I would of had more species available but a mouse stole my test tube cotton ball plugs during hibernation. :facepalm:  I lost half of the colonies due to this but I'ii bounce back this season. This was the first time I had any issues during hibernation in all my years ant keeping.

• noebl1, Myrmidon and ConcordAntman like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1237 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 10 2018 - 2:37 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

@akaant Just saw your thread, those are some really fair prices :)  Every time I see the GAN prices for the guy in NH, I cringe...

Also for the A. picea he has, that's a great species at a good price, and one of my favorites.  In my 3 years of looking for queens, I've only coming across their alates once by accident, literally minutes before a thunderstorm rolled thru yet I see the workers all the time.

This looks like a really good week for flights with mid to upper 80Fs mid week, next Monday (assuming the forecast doesn't change), if it hits 90F, I bet there will be the day for a large Camponotus flight.

• akaant and greenavacado like this

#1238 Offline akaant - Posted June 10 2018 - 4:11 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

@akaant Just saw your thread, those are some really fair prices :)  Every time I see the GAN prices for the guy in NH, I cringe...

Also for the A. picea he has, that's a great species at a good price, and one of my favorites.  In my 3 years of looking for queens, I've only coming across their alates once by accident, literally minutes before a thunderstorm rolled thru yet I see the workers all the time.

This looks like a really good week for flights with mid to upper 80Fs mid week, next Monday (assuming the forecast doesn't change), if it hits 90F, I bet there will be the day for a large Camponotus flight.

Thanks. I made sure not to go over board on the pricing. I too am hoping for at least 1 more good flight.

• noebl1 and greenavacado like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1239 Offline greenavacado - Posted June 10 2018 - 5:37 PM

greenavacado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSeacoast NH

Hi guys, I'm quite new to anting in general, but I thought I would help represent NH B) 

have started keeping some queens, I found a Campontus queen earlier this week but found what I believe is a Tetramorium queen today. Either Tetra queens are much smaller than I thought or she's something else, pics linked.

Yesterday while gardening I found a massive colony that had a ton of alates, they looked quite pale compared to the workers so I'm not sure how young they were. I tried to get some pics of the small chunk of the colony on the rock but they were moving fast! (The rock was returned promptly, the rushed blurry pic can confirm, haha) I'm not quite sure what they were, maybe Lasius? I can confidently ID componotus and tetra workers, that's about it at the moment.

pics of both: https://imgur.com/a/50nfjbT

Besides that I haven't seen much else in the area

• noebl1 likes this

#1240 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted June 13 2018 - 1:47 PM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

Been out looking for queens with not much luck. I'm definitely not the patient type haha. 

Thought today might be good, humid scattered showers. But I really didn't see much ant activity. 

I did come across this which I don't think is a queen but its way bigger than any of the ants I've been seeing so thought it was worth getting IDed. Carpenter Major?

IMG 1216

Edited by fleetingyouth, June 13 2018 - 1:58 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users