• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2110 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 10 2017 - 10:12 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Arg! Not one ant in my yard, and I'll have to check the alate colony at a minimum of 3:30 pm.

#82 Offline zkublin - Posted April 10 2017 - 10:19 AM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Found no action here in the urban areas outside the city.  Assembly row in Somerville had nothing good to find during my lunch hour.  One of the downfalls of living and working in urban areas  :*(

#83 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted April 10 2017 - 10:19 AM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Had the day off for a medical procedure. Went out and caught 8. they're like little amber pebbles running down the side walk. I got pictures!
  • Nathant2131 and Cindy like this

#84 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted April 10 2017 - 10:23 AM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
I appear to be unable to post pics.

#85 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted April 10 2017 - 10:26 AM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
zkubin my local park had a bunch. I didn't see any nests but I found them all in that vicinity on side walks or on ground near trees.
  • Nathant2131 likes this

#86 Offline randeee - Posted April 10 2017 - 10:40 AM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I haven't found any during my walk around the blocks :/ I'm gonna go out again and pray. :3

#87 Offline zkublin - Posted April 10 2017 - 10:57 AM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

zkubin my local park had a bunch. I didn't see any nests but I found them all in that vicinity on side walks or on ground near trees.

Ill take a look when I get home from work.  I assume you are located in Rhode Island right?

#88 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 10 2017 - 10:57 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Just did a quick walk between meetings, and found 6 (looks like I lost one as foolishly only brought 2 test tubes.)  All within a 10min period here in Lincoln.  As @RhodyAnts mentioned, definitely looked like amber pebbles for sure.

• Cindy likes this

#89 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted April 10 2017 - 11:27 AM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
zkublin yes right on the mass line.

#90 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted April 10 2017 - 11:29 AM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
there were also digger bee's out to. they left big mounds with big hole in them. was cool to see.
  • Nathant2131 likes this

#91 Offline randeee - Posted April 10 2017 - 11:39 AM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Haha, I hit the jackpot as well. I walked out for my second trip and I noticed a shiny queen moving and then 3 more. I then just walked up and down and I am now at 10... They landed right outside my house. Praying worked.
I'm out of test tubes though :/

• Nathant2131 likes this

#92 Offline Cindy - Posted April 10 2017 - 11:41 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

So it looks like P. Imparis are flying en masse :)

• randeee and Nathant2131 like this

#93 Offline randeee - Posted April 10 2017 - 11:43 AM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

This thread is extremely helpful btw. Thanks, Nathant for starting it. :)

• Nathant2131 and Cindy like this

#94 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 10 2017 - 11:46 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
Wow... there was nothing here. Just a lone male walkin around. There were also 0 alates under the alate colony... maybe too hot or low humidity? Was pretty dry.

But, lots of ants active!! Saw a lot of Formica fusca-group workers Foraging, a couple Camponotus Pennsylvanicus workers Foraging, and finally, Lasius neoniger! Two mounds, and workers were building them up.

I am really confused... there also could not have been a flight earlier since I saw only one alate... would have been queens everywhere.

Edited by Nathant2131, April 10 2017 - 11:50 AM.

#95 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 10 2017 - 11:47 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

This thread is extremely helpful btw. Thanks, Nathant for starting it. :)

Figured it would be pretty helpful. Thank you.
  • Cindy likes this

#96 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 10 2017 - 11:56 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Haha, I hit the jackpot as well. I walked out for my second trip and I noticed a shiny queen moving and then 3 more. I then just walked up and down and I am now at 10... They landed right outside my house. Praying worked.
I'm out of test tubes though :/

I think that's how I lost one... as only brought 2 test tubes on my walk, so surprised I managed to keep the 6 contained.  Hopefully they make it home in the car ride in one piece, then the challenge of carefully moving them into new tubes.  Currently they are coexisting and occasionally preening each other, but don't want to push my luck.

@Nathant2131  There was still snow on the ground where you and I live even this weekend as a bit farther north then where we were finding them today, so still very possible they won't fly until tomorrow.   :)

• Nathant2131 likes this

#97 Offline Cindy - Posted April 10 2017 - 12:10 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

Wow... there was nothing here. Just a lone male walkin around. There were also 0 alates under the alate colony... maybe too hot or low humidity? Was pretty dry.

But, lots of ants active!! Saw a lot of Formica fusca-group workers Foraging, a couple Camponotus Pennsylvanicus workers Foraging, and finally, Lasius neoniger! Two mounds, and workers were building them up.

I am really confused... there also could not have been a flight earlier since I saw only one alate... would have been queens everywhere.

It could be that they're preparing for a massive flight tomorrow, Nathan. 

Also I found it strange how I've gone from seeing one solitary worker, to one lone queen, and then a massive nest right outside of my work place. I followed a trail of male alates up a hill in our parking lot and found hundreds of male alates flying at the top of a hill (then a hole with workers and queens pouring out of the entrance). If my phone wasn't so weak w/o a macro lens and if I had more time, I would've live-streamed the entire ordeal.

• noebl1 likes this

#98 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 10 2017 - 12:17 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
I sure hope they fly for me tomorrow.

#99 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 10 2017 - 12:38 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
Wow... I have failed to notice that the bugs flying around all day are males... yesssss

Not seeing them coming from entrances but who am I to judge.
  • Cindy likes this

#100 Offline Cindy - Posted April 10 2017 - 12:44 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

Wow... I have failed to notice that the bugs flying around all day are males... yesssss

Not seeing them coming from entrances but who am I to judge.

The male alates are teeny-tiny 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users